• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

B100, I-6 Diesels, etc

Engineers might be worried about over-revving with taller gears.

That is what the software geeks are for . . .

Damn bean counters!

X-2!

FWIW, there is a difference in the accounting mindset and finance mindset. Finance completely understands accounting, but Accounting can get lost in the numbers and struggles with the elements of finance . . . Am reading all too much that there is more corporate control by Accounting than Finance.

In any event, while all of this looks nice, I am probably going to skip the generation of diesel that requires DEF and see if engineers can work their way out of that power-robbing technology. Then again, might just have to skip on newer generations of diesel completely as I am still waiting on my flying car and jet-pack for daily commuting and I do not see much promise there either . . .

Working, practical flying cars have been produced, are being successfully tested and the manufacturer foresees production models available to the public within three years.

Ha! That three year horizon has been on the horizon for over 10 years when the MIT pals first talked-up the concept . . . ;)

Funny thing about general aviation, the way to make a million bucks is to invest three.

I stopped reading the GA news a while ago as it was simply sad to watch promising ideas go nowhere after a decade or more of effort.

The plastics to fuel COULD help on the low b100 amount if gubmint would get out of the way and the owners. We found that over 10% of the required gas and diesel supply could be replaced without cutting into actually used recycled plastics. we were going to pull on plastics that still go into landfills.

yeah, been watching those MIT guys with different release info each time. cool machine though!

The plastics to fuel COULD help on the low b100 amount if gubmint would get out of the way and the owners. We found that over 10% of the required gas and diesel supply could be replaced without cutting into actually used recycled plastics. we were going to pull on plastics that still go into landfills.

Perhaps that will turn into reality now that China is unilaterally canceling contracts to accept recycle material and causing a global glut / stockpile / nuisance. Then again, maybe not as some other countries are starting to look like they might fill the void and accept the material.

The availability of plastics is not the problem. At least 50% of the plastic you put into your plastic recycling container that they pickup seperate from trash now still ends up in landfills. That was the top of their head estimate without looking into anything from the very head of recycling from Republic Services. And said the real figure is probably a chunk higher, but they have so much it just has never been worth looking into.

The issue is the restriction on building new refineries. It is so hard and of course a multi million dollar investment that not many people want to gamble at it as an unproven technology. Then the gubmint has to classify the fuel as something to allow selling to the public. We almost had some major California fuel companies that were going to buy all we could produce in our little test plant, and they were going to just mix it into their stock for the carbon credits, but the gubmint says we weren’t biofuel because it comes from crude products. We also weren’t regular fuel because it comes from post consumer waste.
The two owners were smaller % owner was idea man, understood chemistry, and put in couple hundred thousand. large % owner dropped in about 3 million, understands business operations well, but not management of personal or how to test things scientifically first then move foreward. Then they hired a project manager that was a b.s. artist who simply lied about production results so he could get bonus pay. So 75% of $ was a waste. Myself and another guy- the 2 that actually built 90% of everything, ran the plants, and did most of the testing would tell the owners the issue but they believed the other guy who talked about being a graduate from MIT. Infact he was my brother in law (sister left him since then) and we grew up as best friends since kindergarten. He struggled in school and dropped out 2 weeks into 9th grade. A good b.s. guy basically. It wasn’t until a couple years into the project I heard what he was telling them. Dude lost his mind, literally, and went from amazing guy to p.o.s. druggie, lier- wacky to watch the change. But he ran the $ into the ground and the owners wouldn’t break from him and spent too much into a wrong direction.

In talking with the owners as things got bad money wise, the owners explained the volume needed, and cost break even of the business. The other welder/ operator and I spent a weekend going over the details and figured out that it would take around 15 million in equipment to produce the volume they need to turn good profits. Unfortunately when we shared the results with the owner, he refused to hear it as it turned out he started with a net worth of about 5.5 million.
Gotta know who you trust in spending all your money I suppose.

Anyways if some big outfit were to drop in the cash they could do it

Yeah, but like all engines, bean counters can wreck a great design. even the om606 like I had- early heads were junk.
You had an om603, completely different engine. Om603 was the 2 valve per cylinder still having alot of roots with the infamous om617 workhorse. And the om603's biggest downfall was emissions(gee, sounds like a common problem). That early dpf mounted right at the turbo sent egt's and backpressure sky high on those engines with the high sulphur diesel the US had in the 80's. Yes the head had some faults to it, but several pushed those hards HARD without failure if they managed egt's and coolant temps. The om606 was the 4 valve per cylinder and was light years ahead of the om603 in design. Mercedes spared no expense with it as they wanted it to be the premiere light duty diesel in a passenger car. Even the DI succesors used alot of parts from those early engines, they were designed that good.

@THEFERMANATOR
See! I get rid of it and shortly after get the numbers mixed up! If you ever change your screen name it should just be “alwaysrightguy”. Haha!

Yeah that big heat catcher really brought out the issues of the first built heads. Mine was never retrofitted and had the old style head- I found out it was just a gasket that popped in it from the kid that got it at the tow yard when the person I sold it from drove it around with no plates or insurance. He cleaned up and is running old head, redid ip & injectors and stuffed an hx35 on that little 3 liter. That was last month I saw him driving it. I am sure he needs a trans or rearend by now from the power and his love of burn outs and drifting!
All 4 tires that were new before selling it are bald, he rotated them once. Only put about 3,000 miles on it so far- haha
Ahh the younger years...

Yeah the 606 is WAY different.

Talking to a guy at work yesterday that drives around 30+ hours a week in his Colorado dmax- he still loves his new work truck. Found out it was the first one sold in Nevada as a gubmint program purchase deal from GM. He said hasn’t had single problem yet. Well, tires.
We checked his tow rating- 7,600. He has done 6,100 several times. Said you “She knows that weight is there, but she likes it.”
He calls it his Minimax. Another guy calls his a duramini.

I Still want to drive one hot rodded up...

@THEFERMANATOR
See! I get rid of it and shortly after get the numbers mixed up! If you ever change your screen name it should just be “alwaysrightguy”. Haha!

Yeah that big heat catcher really brought out the issues of the first built heads. Mine was never retrofitted and had the old style head- I found out it was just a gasket that popped in it from the kid that got it at the tow yard when the person I sold it from drove it around with no plates or insurance. He cleaned up and is running old head, redid ip & injectors and stuffed an hx35 on that little 3 liter. That was last month I saw him driving it. I am sure he needs a trans or rearend by now from the power and his love of burn outs and drifting!
All 4 tires that were new before selling it are bald, he rotated them once. Only put about 3,000 miles on it so far- haha
Ahh the younger years...

Yeah the 606 is WAY different.

Talking to a guy at work yesterday that drives around 30+ hours a week in his Colorado dmax- he still loves his new work truck. Found out it was the first one sold in Nevada as a gubmint program purchase deal from GM. He said hasn’t had single problem yet. Well, tires.
We checked his tow rating- 7,600. He has done 6,100 several times. Said you “She knows that weight is there, but she likes it.”
He calls it his Minimax. Another guy calls his a duramini.

I Still want to drive one hot rodded up...
My wife would quickly correct and tell you I'm never right. The om603 is supposed to be good for about 180-185 hp with a turbo and the stock pump maxxed, but a set of 7.5mm elements can quickly push that up over 300. The 603 is supposed to be good for about 375-400hp while the 606 can take 600hp built up. It's insane what the guys at black smoke racing did with the 606, and now they're using a om648 direct injected 3.2l(om606 with a om603 3.5l crank). They were putting down over 700hp last I heard from a 3.2l direct injected straight 6.

Back