• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Back to BFG AT, KO2

Most trucks should run less air in rears unless heavy loaded. Doing the chalk/ paint test for wear pattern is the way to go.
Hummers run the lower pressure design- most are like 30 front and 25 rear.

In 4wd, these buck very bad especially at around 45mph with uneven front to rear pressure because of the diameter difference. I learned that more than once on an icy interstate after having aired up the rears for heavy towing beforehand and didn't air back down. Off-road or in deep snow it wouldn't be all that noticeable.

I chalk test mine and watch the wear pretty closely.

At 80PSI my front tires are still squated ALOT. With duals I don't need as much air in my rears to support the weight

@btfarm How are the KO2's treating you? I just put a set (235/85r16) on the duraburb before we left Orlando. Have about 5k miles on them now. At first they were a little squirmy. They seemed to have settled down after 2k miles or so. Still have to correct the rig quite a bit in the wind. This might be due to the width.

I find them to be just as good in handling as the original KOs. I don't have a feel for wear because I am retired and only drive about 1/4 what I did but I figure they won't last as long because these are load range E where the old KOs were range D. I did run 2 round trips to Minnesota on interstates at 335 miles one way and definitely liked the feel.

Big dog, Did you get the Burb aligned after the Dura conversion?. That extra weight up front is going to change the handling quite a bit. Could have something to do with it tending to wander some.

Last edited:
Big dog, Did you get the Burb aligned after the Dura conversion?. That extra weight up front is going to change the handling quite a bit. Could have something to do with it tending to wander some.
Yeah Eric aligned it before we picked it up in Florida. It definitely tracks straight and seems fine on a calm smooth road and no wind. But any amount of side wind or passing a truck seems to push it around really easy. It had some 245/75 Cooper HTP tires on it originally and it was rock solid. I went with the 235/85 BFG’s to get a little more height without getting too wide. But it might be working against me in this case. I might have to go back to the 245/75’s if it stays like this. Just to make me feel better when the wife is driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife got 65K miles out of her first set of Cooper AT3s on the Toyota 4Runner. Could have gone another 5K taking them down to bald, but she had a nail in one that was forcing me to refill every couple days and she had several extended trips planned. New set of Cooper AT3s are on.

Put a set of 285/75/16 on our Burb last night. Two guys at work with over 60,000 on theirs One has a Titan and put 90 on first set. Sure rides better that the worn out 10 yrd 265 that were on it Coopers..

Yeah Eric aligned it before we picked it up in Florida. It definitely tracks straight and seems fine on a calm smooth road and no wind. But any amount of side wind or passing a truck seems to push it around really easy. It had some 245/75 Cooper HTP tires on it originally and it was rock solid. I went with the 235/85 BFG’s to get a little more height without getting too wide. But it might be working against me in this case. I might have to go back to the 245/75’s if it stays like this. Just to make me feel better when the wife is driving it.

Just wondering if he checked the caster. That's easy to ignore if he doesn't have all the equipment and when the front height is changed caster change that results can make the front end wander alot. I had to reset mine because of cranking T-bars on my 00, 03, 05, and 06 when I first got them and right away went to the BFGs

Just wondering if he checked the caster. That's easy to ignore if he doesn't have all the equipment and when the front height is changed caster change that results can make the front end wander alot. I had to reset mine because of cranking T-bars on my 00, 03, 05, and 06 when I first got them and right away went to the BFGs
Thats a good point. I assumed it was done at a shop, but I never saw any paperwork or numbers for the alignment. I'll take it to the shop nearby that I've gone to and have them take a look at it to make sure its all dialed in right.

My truck originally came with Bridgestone. 44k on them. 2nd set I went with General Grabber HT2. 88k on them. 3rd set I went with Cooper AT3. I don't really care for them. Noisey on highway. They are good in snow and off road with the knobby tread pattern. I will go back with Generals for my next set. I run 265s Es on stock PYOs. I run about 58 to 60 psi in all 4 unless I am towing or hauling wood. Then I bump the rears up to 75 psi. I rotate twice a year at about 7k.
BFG KOs are not that popular up where I am.

So I’ve got about 12k on these KO2 235/85R16’s.
Still ride nice and all but they still seem super soft or at least the tread is really soft. At highway speeds passing a truck or getting passed still pushes the truck all over the road and gets interesting trying to get it back on track. The old coopers were 245/75r16 and those were rock solid. No sway at all.

Current trip was unloaded from CA to FL and still felt soft and squishy. Picked up the trailer (loaded ~3000 lbs - not much) and holy crap that thing was all over the road. Hooked up the sway control for the hitch and that helped a lot but the truck still gets pushed around way too easy.

I think the combination of the narrow tire and softer rubber compound is not a good combo for a 2500 burb.
I’m bummed cuz I really want to like these tires. I’ve had Toyo MT’s and RT’s and they are rock solid. MPG just sucks because they are so heavy.

I know Michelin makes an incredible highway tire but I really wanted something that would work in the snow and have the ❄️ mountain snowflake rating. Guess I’m looking for a pig with lipstick.

My truck originally came with Bridgestone. 44k on them. 2nd set I went with General Grabber HT2. 88k on them. 3rd set I went with Cooper AT3. I don't really care for them. Noisey on highway. They are good in snow and off road with the knobby tread pattern. I will go back with Generals for my next set. I run 265s Es on stock PYOs. I run about 58 to 60 psi in all 4 unless I am towing or hauling wood. Then I bump the rears up to 75 psi. I rotate twice a year at about 7k.
BFG KOs are not that popular up where I am.

My truck came with the Bridgestones and after they were about half wore out the were useless as Tits on a boar hog in snow. I almost put my truck off in a big hole next to my sisters driveway one winter and decided right then that I needed some dedicated snow tires for my 2500HD. I run Bridgestone W965 Blizzaks in the winter on a separate set of factory rims. I run Michelins in the summer, which they are getting wore down pretty good. Probably this summer I will need to think about replacing them with something.

My truck came with the Bridgestones and after they were about half wore out the were useless as Tits on a boar hog in snow. I almost put my truck off in a big hole next to my sisters driveway one winter and decided right then that I needed some dedicated snow tires for my 2500HD. I run Bridgestone W965 Blizzaks in the winter on a separate set of factory rims. I run Michelins in the summer, which they are getting wore down pretty good. Probably this summer I will need to think about replacing them with something.
How do you like the Michelin’s? Any idea on treadlife?

BigDogYJ, I love the Michelin Tires, they are the LTX M/S2 tires and I really have been pleased with them as far as highway travel and limited off road travel. I have tried my best to find out the information as far as when it was I put the tires on my truck, I generally document all that stuff. I am thinking it was about 2012 or 2013 in May when I put those Michelins on. The truck probably had 35,000 or so on it then and its right at 83,000 miles now, but bear in mind I take those tires off in the winter and run snow tires so I couldn't just say that there is 48,000 miles on the tires. If I was guessing they probably have 40,000 to 44,000 miles on them? Tread depth on three of the tires is from 4/32 to 5/32. One tire is around 3/32, heck must be the right rear and I have been abusing it some?...:D

When I bought those tires they had a 70,000 mile warranty with them. As far as rain slick roads they seem to do real well, I never tried them much in any big snows. I must say they are a good riding highway tire and the road noise does not seem to be that bad.

I must also add that one of my hunting buddies had a 4X4, 2002 Ford F250, power stroke and he ran those tires for years. He got a lot of miles out of them, I can't remember how much, but he really liked them also.

You may think I am making this up, but when I had those wore out factory Bridgestone's on my truck I about spun it out at 35 MPH on a wet road under heavy acceleration.

Traffic slowed on a concrete interstate on a slight up hill grade, I stomped down pretty good on the go pedal and the back end started around on me at 35 MPH or more, I had to correct it.

That's when I thought ole boy you need some better tires or you need to control your right foot.

Back