• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Back to BFG AT, KO2

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The 30,000 mile experiment with Mastercraft tires has ended. Back to the tires I've been using since day 1 on all of the last 4 trucks.

20171211_101111.jpg

I love those tires. Wish I could get them in my proper size. The only drawback I evet had was the rim protector lip causing debead when on a normal rim(no beag lock) offroading while deflated down at or under 10 psi. Most of the guys that run them like that just use a tire shaper tool and trim off the rim protector. Of course most folks that will run them under 10 psi are not focused on no rim scratches- haha.

Some folks dont like a little shorter tire life, but I prefer performance over pennies. The grip on and off road is just impressive.

This is the spare I carry on trips. It has 78,000 on it from this truck. I have usually seen 60k+ with these. 90% highways.

20171211_105522.jpg 20171211_105535.jpg

They are not really more noisy compared to most any other AT tire. The Mastercrafts (Cooper) were really howlers between 30 and 45 mph. They were also horrible on wet pavement even when new.

There is always talk of how these tires don't last and I have never had them wear out like many claim. I noticed the others in my area typically have the same success as me so I am guessing it's due to the type of pavement normally used here.

I hd just got the tires on the 2000 rotated, like the oil change shops, they installed a sticker on the windshield telling when the next rotation should take place.
Having tires rotated on a regular basis really does add a lot of more miles to them before one or two gets wore down. LOL

I always have done rotation at 15k intervals.
I think that they have it scheduled for 5,000 miles, I`ll geter done at whatever the sticker says. LOL
To Me, more is better, getting to the point of almost having to go to the bank to talk about tire financing. LOL
One nice thing about the Cooper tires, the Tire Rama shop does not charge to rotate and to fix flats on the coopers. Dont know about their other brands as the Coopers is the tire that when I run the old Milwaukee Rail Road train grade, I dont get a bunch of flat tires.

I need to get new tires on my company truck. Would love to get them to swing for these. I have never ran them (due to price). The last Ram we got tires on was $900 and think they were Nitto Grapplers.

These came at a stiff price... With alignment it was a shade ($8) under $1200 out the door. I need to go to Minnesota next week and I damn sure don't want to be in a snowstorm with what was on it...

I put two Cooper AT3s on the rear of the '99. Still burning up some BFG AT KOs on the front. My wife has Cooper AT3s on her 4Runner. Right at 58K miles and they have about 10K left on them. Very happy with the Coopers. Lack of warranty, failures and premature wear moved me off the BFG AT KOs, though they do look nice.

Yeah, the wife’ Escalade has 20” on it. Cant wait till that day comes. :(
Funny thing is the suburban was 01, caddy 05. Suburban had more power, and rode nicer imo.

Suburban got just over 60,000 mile on same tire bfg at ko. I rotated them once at aound 40,000 miles with first set, never on second set. And I tried some knock off set cant remember name at the moment- they sucked-like 30,000 miles, horrible on wet concrete.

Also tried some big-o version- they sucked even worse. Big O said because alignment, so paid $40 and having been past Mac Tools guy, the mechanic there told me it was barely out. So when the bigO tires went, back to bfg was the plan. But wifey found smokin deal on the 05 so out the door went the suburban.

Wish I kept it instead of the Mercedes. That car is too low for my fat self to bend into and out of. Maybe it needs a lift kit and some bfg’s...

There is always talk of how these tires don't last and I have never had them wear out like many claim. I noticed the others in my area typically have the same success as me so I am guessing it's due to the type of pavement normally used here.
Could be.
We have some crappy roads up this way. And the ones I've seen have seen a lot of gravel.
And could be operator error also. Lol I doubt they were ever rotated.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back