• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1992 6.5 projectish.....

@Will L. I wish you lived around South Carolina. I'd like to ride some trails behind that hummer. We got some deep holes and rivers around here we (my wife loves it believe it or not) ride every now and then. Good mud holes and trails to.

I'm pretty sure if you go with the harness from your 92 truck, you will lose your ABS - if that's a concern for you.

Good luck with the project! Are you going to tear the engine down to look for cracks? Being NA all it's life, I bet it's a crack-free and nicely seasoned - not a bad start for a build.

I'm pretty sure if you go with the harness from your 92 truck, you will lose your ABS - if that's a concern for you.

Good luck with the project! Are you going to tear the engine down to look for cracks? Being NA all it's life, I bet it's a crack-free and nicely seasoned - not a bad start for a build.
No ABS.... Dang it. Lol. I don't even have the unit working. I plan on taking the valve covers and oil pan off to reseal and inspect everything. Also putting the fluidamper and billet pulley from Leroy on it as well. It actually has a turbo on it. I'm excited to start working in it. But I've got to get my wife's Wrangler out of the garage first.... [emoji15]

No ABS.... Dang it. Lol. I don't even have the unit working. I plan on taking the valve covers and oil pan off to reseal and inspect everything. Also putting the fluidamper and billet pulley from Leroy on it as well. It actually has a turbo on it. I'm excited to start working in it. But I've got to get my wife's Wrangler out of the garage first.... [emoji15]
Oh, DURRRRR, maybe I should look at the pics!! Oooooh, the billet pulley? Nice!

So in the next couple weeks I plan on getting the 92' in the garage to start tearing it apart. I know a few posts ago I asked about the tranny controller business. I have 3 spare 4l80E trannys at my disposal. One is actually a GM reman out of a 2001 Savannah 3500. Only down side is they are all 2 wheel. I know I would need to rebuild one of them and change the output shaft.
My question for now is, is it worth it go have one of the 80's rebuilt and get a controller or look into a manual? Either way I'm sure it will be a couple grand so money isn't a concern. I have access to a very good trans rebuilder as well. I'm more curious on overall function which would be better or if its just a personal preference.

Personal preference. I grew up learning off roading in a stick shift. Clutch control and crawling helped in some cases, but after doing same trails in automatics and just learning to drive a little different- the automatic is much easier to control wheel slippage and ease of powering out of situations I now prefer autos.

The control system for the 4l80e is annoying that it is expensive, but worth it imo. The auto trans is rock solid for 250-300,000 miles. Compare the cost and maintenance needed for a clutch and to me auto wins.

Let the handshakers come beat me up now...

Personal preference. I grew up learning off roading in a stick shift. Clutch control and crawling helped in some cases, but after doing same trails in automatics and just learning to drive a little different- the automatic is much easier to control wheel slippage and ease of powering out of situations I now prefer autos.

The control system for the 4l80e is annoying that it is expensive, but worth it imo. The auto trans is rock solid for 250-300,000 miles. Compare the cost and maintenance needed for a clutch and to me auto wins.

Let the handshakers come beat me up now...
There in lies my dilemma. I love both. I learned manual on a 80' chevette and have driven all the way up to a 1 ton flatbed. But I guess the more I think about it. With failing knees already the auto is an easier solution.... Plus less work to put in. [emoji51]
Some times I over think things. Lol.

i have the 80 in my 93. i converted it to manual shift. even the TC is manual. all i need is to install the floor shifter. my left foot never gets tired either. no more than a few hundred in it. don't even have the TCM connected. i love standards also but the cost to convert never made sense.

I agree that the decision is personal preference. And my preference depends on where I am and what I am doing.
If I was towing or if I lived out in the country like I used to, I would go manual in a heart beat. However in my current situation, driving in town using my truck usually like a Honda civic (gets me from point A to point B) so I like a auto..... too many times that I need to go a speed in between the gears.

I prefer an automatic. I drove enough truck that I either got tired of shifting of I got lazy. LOL
I also prefer the auto trans when out in the snow and mud, much easier to get them to rocking to get a run out.

Yeah, it's all about personal preference and intended use. I like the auto in my Tahoe because I can build boost to launch with and I don't lose boost during shifts. I guess if I'm honest, I probably prefer an auto in most situations, but I do worry about the durability of an auto more than I do in a manual, but that's probably just me - I'm going to be shopping for a dedicated tow rig next year and I'm wanting to get a manual for that - more for peace of mind more than anything. Again, personal preference and intended use..........

Got the old girl to the garage. Now to make enough room for it to fit.
b27a12959dbb509ff62767fa4a95be0b.jpg

Back