• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy 3500 dually 5.7 to 6.5/6.2 diesel Swap

Welcome and Glad to have you as a new member. There are several threads on here about that swap and there's a thread of a gas Tahoe swapping to a 6.2 going on right now. Maybe @1994ch could chime in and help you out.

I got a parts truck and swapped harnesses (still had to modify the harness that I swapped in because it was from a electronic injected engine and I am putting in a mechanical) but that was not too hard....mostly just cutting out extra wires.

It also needs to be said that I have not fired it up yet so.............. hopefully I did everything right.

As a big zoomed out picture, I am doing my swap for the learning experience and the fun of it (sometimes I tell myself I am insane for the last one) I am also doing a tahoe...diesel tahoes are rare and expensive (and also no 4 door versions) so I am getting something that I cannot just go out and buy. So unless you are largely motivated by the simple desire of doing the swap I would do some good shopping around for a truck that came with the diesel.

A list of the top of my head of areas to work through:
Transmission control, I don't think the gas computer would work for you (your options would depend on whether you installed an electronic IP or mechanical)

Brake booster and power steering pump (pretty easy swap, all the parts will bolt right up)

Fuel tank, gas tanks don't have the internal baffles that diesel tanks do. (I am still using my old gas tank but I may run into issues with it sucking air when the tank gets low) A diesel sending unit will also not fit in a gas tank so I had to modify the gas sending unit (I do not have the option of buying a diesel tank because none are made for the 4 door tahoe) but you could just buy a diesel tank

Oil cooler and trans cooler (may not be an issue for you with a 3500)

If its a 4X4 and you go with a 6.2 pay attention to the year of the engine (earlier engines had a different oil pan that I have been told will not fit with the front diff.)

Hope this helps some.

I think modifying the gas harness would be doable if you were going with a mechanical IP. The engine sensors for oil press, coolant temp, etc; are pretty simple as far as wiring goes and a mechanical IP only requires two wires............. so most of the work would be cutting out the wires you no longer needed. The main thing I am gaining with swapping the entire harness is getting a diesel cluster that will have the "wait to start" light, the diesel tach, etc

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/tahoe-6-2-swap.46454/ Here is a link to my build

A lot of the hurdles I had to jump in the wiring also came from my changing transmissions, and going 4x4 to 2x4 (affected getting the speedometer and ABS to work) so the longer I think about it the easier I think it might be for you. It still is challenging to keep track of the few wires that you want in the huge pile of wires that you are trying to weed out..... I called it my knitting project.

If your main motivation is getting a diesel at the lowest price... I still recommend carefully laying out a parts list and getting it priced out, engine, transmission controller, exhaust/turbo, fuel system, etc. You might find it cheaper to just buy a diesel and get it running (I got my parts truck for $600)

And if you have a manual transmission you can put a red X through one of the biggest expenses and challenges of the swap (and give your left foot and right hand a big pat on the back)

And if you have a manual transmission you can put a red X through one of the biggest expenses and challenges of the swap (and give your left foot and right hand a big pat on the back)
Thanks for the help, Im only 14 right now so I was hoping maybe it would be a fairly cheap thing to do. My dad has a blown 6.5 i was gonna rebuild and put in it.

If you have an auto transmission, a transmission controller will cost you about $800 (Leroy Diesel sells them) There is also the option of finding the perfect parts truck that might have a transmission computer that would work for you. I think it would have to be a 1993 and maybe a 1992..... http://www.mediafire.com/?4wj51rn22o6z6 There is a guide for swapping an electronic IP to a mechanical IP The part in there that covers the options of transmission control would cover what you want to do as well.

Watch craigslist........ you might score a cheap 6.5 with a blown engine / no engine that you could drop that engine into.

If you have an auto transmission, a transmission controller will cost you about $800 (Leroy Diesel sells them) There is also the option of finding the perfect parts truck that might have a transmission computer that would work for you. I think it would have to be a 1993 and maybe a 1992..... http://www.mediafire.com/?4wj51rn22o6z6 There is a guide for swapping an electronic IP to a mechanical IP The part in there that covers the options of transmission control would cover what you want to do as well.

Watch craigslist........ you might score a cheap 6.5 with a blown engine / no engine that you could drop that engine into.
Ok well what about putting a turbo on the 5.7? I want it to be louder and sound like a v8 instead of some weak v6. Mainly I am looking for more towing power. And obviously to make it sounds cooler. I don't want one of those attention beggers just something to where you can actually hear it.

Thanks for the help, Im only 14 right now so I was hoping maybe it would be a fairly cheap thing to do. My dad has a blown pile of scrap metal that used to be a 6.5 i was gonna rebuild and put in it.

Fixed it for you.

Run the math of what it would cost to rebuild the engine with machine work vs. a new long block. Further depending on how it blew, well, odds are not good that you have enough (any) good parts to rebuild.

Cheap, err, Frugal is starting out with a running surplus 6.2 or 6.5 engine. Swap it into a rig you go cheap because it has a blown 6.5 in it.

I have a similar project in the books.

A 94 C3500 5.7 5 speed dually that I plan on cab swapping a 95 c2500 automatic 6.5 cab on.

The end result will be a 95 c3500 6.5 5 speed dually.

Got an engine harness from a 97 3500HD , stick and I believe no air if that helps . Only wire cut was a " blue " wire inside by the pass kick panel .

Ok well what about putting a turbo on the 5.7? I want it to be louder and sound like a v8 instead of some weak v6. Mainly I am looking for more towing power. And obviously to make it sounds cooler. I don't want one of those attention beggers just something to where you can actually hear it.

I have a #5 here some where I can put in a envelope and send it to you if you want it. You can have it. It's for the black style pmd if I remember right.
Why bother with a turbo on a 350 ? Not worth it.
Sell the truck with the 350 and buy a truck with a 6.5 if that is what You want.
Most people start poorjekts like this then never finish them, ends in a scrap yard some wheres or with pieces of two trucks scattered all over the yard. PLUS, as stated, the cost of rebuilding the 6.5 is cost prohibitive unless You have a lot of extra dough laying around that You dont know what to do with.

I see it says your from Greenwood. What state are you from.
Why bother with a turbo on a 350 ? Not worth it.
Sell the truck with the 350 and buy a truck with a 6.5 if that is what You want.
Most people start poorjekts like this then never finish them, ends in a scrap yard some wheres or with pieces of two trucks scattered all over the yard. PLUS, as stated, the cost of rebuilding the 6.5 is cost prohibitive unless You have a lot of extra dough laying around that You dont know what to do with.
Sorry it’s been so long since I responded, haven’t been getting notifications. Anyways I mainly wanted the 6.5 for fuel mileage over the 350. And of coarse more power but I know the 350s aren’t totally gutless. I want to put the turbo on it for the extra power. I know it’s not much but still better. Any recommendations on exhaust kits homemade or store bought? Also Greenwood Arkansas

Diamond eye exhaust from Leroy diesel. Look at the top of this page and his advertisement will pop up.

Diamond eye exhaust from Leroy diesel. Look at the top of this page and his advertisement will pop up.
Do you have a 6.5 harness I could buy from you? Also what did you mean " I have a #5 here some where I can put in a envelope and send it to you if you want it. You can have it. It's for the black style pmd if I remember right." Whats the #5 and stick?

Fixed it for you.

Run the math of what it would cost to rebuild the engine with machine work vs. a new long block. Further depending on how it blew, well, odds are not good that you have enough (any) good parts to rebuild.

Cheap, err, Frugal is starting out with a running surplus 6.2 or 6.5 engine. Swap it into a rig you go cheap because it has a blown 6.5 in it.

It spun a rod bearing but nothing ever got thrown. The cylinders are in perfect condition so I already have the motor taken care of. I plan on taking the 4l80e out of it and putting a nv4500 in it. I intend on using a mechanical IP but if I can easily swap the harness I would be perfectly happy with a electronic IP. I know the mechanicals are more dependable but I have limited resources....

I'll keep my eye out in the junk yards and let you know if I see a 6.5 with a good harness. Could you make a summary of what type of truck you are going from - to? Like year, 2 or 4 wheel drive....

Back