• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chevy 3500 dually 5.7 to 6.5/6.2 diesel Swap

Do you have a 6.5 harness I could buy from you? Also what did you mean " I have a #5 here some where I can put in a envelope and send it to you if you want it. You can have it. It's for the black style pmd if I remember right." Whats the #5 and stick?

I was talking about sending a #5 resistor for the pmd to another member.

If your going to go through with this project then I would go with the DB2 (mechanical) injection pump. Especially since your going to be this deep into it. Keep your eyes out for a 6.5 truck in somebody's yard while your driving down the road or the junkyard. It may take a little time but I bet you could find you a truck cheap enough to buy the whole truck and use it for this project. If it's not in good enough shape to drive it. It should be in good enough shape for all the electrical and other stuff you are going to need for the swap.

Last edited:
I was talking about sending a #5 resistor for the pmd to another member.

If your going to go through with this project then I would go with the DB2 (mechanical) injection pump. Especially since your going to be this deep into it. Keep your eyes out for a 6.5 truck in somebody's yard while your driving down the road or the junkyard. It may take a little time but I bet you could find you a truck cheap enough to buy the whole truck and use it for this project. If it's not in good enough shape to drive it. It should be in good enough shape for all the electrical and other stuff you are going to need for the swap.
Ok if I use a mechanical pump do I even need to swap the harness

Probably would not have to swap harnesses, but you would have to be satisfied with the tachometer not working........... The coolant temp and oil pressure sensors would probably be the same plug........if not you could probably keep your gas sensor. As you take the gas engine out carefully label everything.......... You will thank yourself later for being methodical and through..... Even if you are not planning on using something.......label it anyway because plans can change, and it will help cut down on the confusion of what is what. If you go mechanical IP and stick shift the wiring that you need will be pretty simple. The hard part will be sifting the few wires that you need out of the haystack that you don't need.

Should be a fun project... in my experience it cost a lot more than I thought it would, but I learned / am learning a lot. Just had the joy of starting my engine up for the first time this evening! Best feeling in the world...........

Probably would not have to swap harnesses, but you would have to be satisfied with the tachometer not working........... The coolant temp and oil pressure sensors would probably be the same plug........if not you could probably keep your gas sensor. As you take the gas engine out carefully label everything.......... You will thank yourself later for being methodical and through..... Even if you are not planning on using something.......label it anyway because plans can change, and it will help cut down on the confusion of what is what. If you go mechanical IP and stick shift the wiring that you need will be pretty simple. The hard part will be sifting the few wires that you need out of the haystack that you don't need.

Should be a fun project... in my experience it cost a lot more than I thought it would, but I learned / am learning a lot. Just had the joy of starting my engine up for the first time this evening! Best feeling in the world...........
I imagine it would feel great as thourogh as you have been with it. I think I’m gonna go ahead and swap harnesses if you have a diesel cluster and harness I’d like to buy it from you

I don't have one at the moment.........I am watching a couple local junk yards for another project I have and if I see a 6.5 come through, I could see about getting the wires.... Might be a few months.... my projects usually go really slow....

Keep an eye out in the junkyards around there too. If you are able to find one you will have the advantage of pulling things apart (it is always easier to put something together if you were the one to take it apart) Also you would have a junkyard truck to practice taking the dash out

I don't have one at the moment.........I am watching a couple local junk yards for another project I have and if I see a 6.5 come through, I could see about getting the wires.... Might be a few months.... my projects usually go really slow....

Keep an eye out in the junkyards around there too. If you are able to find one you will have the advantage of pulling things apart (it is always easier to put something together if you were the one to take it apart) Also you would have a junkyard truck to practice taking the dash out
Alright thanks. Theres 3 junkyards here and only 1 of them I haven't gone through

Take along some masking tape and a permanent marker, so You can label wires as they are disconnected, if You would happen to find another truck with the right stuff.

Back