• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Colorado 4 cylinder diesel

Sorry unless the Diesel Colorado can get 30 plus MPG, what's the use? The V-6 gas engine is low to mid 20's on the highway. I know a guy that has a crew cab 4x4 Colorado that has the gas V-6. He swears on a trip, on level ground he can get 25 MPG or better. It all boils down to the cost of diesel versus gasoline. Yea, right now I have seen diesel the same price as regular gasoline, but its not going to last forever. I want a small 4x4 pick up that is capable of 35 MPG or more for a daily driver. As long as that pick up would tow an ATV or riding mower, that's all I want. If I need major pulling power I will use the 2500HD.

Sorry unless the Diesel Colorado can get 30 plus MPG, what's the use? The V-6 gas engine is low to mid 20's on the highway. I know a guy that has a crew cab 4x4 Colorado that has the gas V-6. He swears on a trip, on level ground he can get 25 MPG or better. It all boils down to the cost of diesel versus gasoline. Yea, right now I have seen diesel the same price as regular gasoline, but its not going to last forever. I want a small 4x4 pick up that is capable of 35 MPG or more for a daily driver. As long as that pick up would tow an ATV or riding mower, that's all I want. If I need major pulling power I will use the 2500HD.
GM shot themselves in the foot imo. The new colorado is so big, its taking sales from the full size market, but pushing people away who actually want an s10 sized truck. The colorado really is enough larger, it shouldnt be in the same size category. I'm sure the 2.8l diesel in something the size of the origanal colorado in a 2 wheel drive configuration could probably do mid 30s for mpg. They basically went after the ram with the ecodiesel that they screwed up and dropped the ball on.

GM shot themselves in the foot imo. The new colorado is so big, its taking sales from the full size market, but pushing people away who actually want an s10 sized truck. The colorado really is enough larger, it shouldnt be in the same size category. I'm sure the 2.8l diesel in something the size of the origanal colorado in a 2 wheel drive configuration could probably do mid 30s for mpg. They basically went after the ram with the ecodiesel that they screwed up and dropped the ball on.

FERM, you hit the nail on the head, GM tried to cover two areas at once. Forget what the heck Dodge is doing, be the first one to build a S-10 sized truck capable of a 35 MPG plus Diesel. They will mess around and Ford or Toyota will build it. I love GM trucks and have never owned anything else, but I am not above driving something else.

I owned a 1987 regular cab S-10, 4X4, with the 2.8 Liter, V-6 and 5 speed manual, 411 gears. It was no power house by far, but honestly it was capable of mid 20's on the interstate if you drove at a certain speed. That truck would go like a son of a gun in snow. I ended up letting it sit for a year, the fuel pump went out, it had some rust, there was a hole rusted in the top of the axle. About 3 or 4 years ago, a co-worker begged to buy it and I let it go at a cheap price. The truck had around 85,000 miles on it. He put a fuel pump in it and eventually 4 new tires and he drives it everyday. Has not fixed the axle either. I know it would have to have 100,000 plus miles on it now, it has been a tough little truck.

I loved that little truck, it just did not have tons of room. It was the truck that I want now, except I want more cab room maybe, but I could manage with the same room as the S-10. I gotta say I could fit in it better than a Toyota Tacoma though. Something about the Tacoma seat to floor setup has my knees in my chest. That is the similar size truck that I want. Like Ferm said, the Colorado is so close, size wise to the Silverado, heck if you are that close in size, why not buy the Silverado. If you compare a fully loaded Colorado to a mid range comfortably equipped Silverado you are not far apart in price.

Also lets talk about the 2.8 Duramax and its power. Don't get me wrong I am not slamming the motor, but I believe in some pulling test, the V-6 gas engine in the Colorado almost did as well time wise pulling up the Ike Gauntlet according to the Fast Lane Truck Guys. You can believe them or not as far as their testing methods. Here is what I watched and observed. According to their test this is how the 2016 Canyon Duramax compared to the 2015 GMC Canyon gas V-6 and 2016 Toyota Tacoma gas V-6. Each truck was the same configuration body wise and each one towed 5600 pounds. Here is their numbers as far as MPG and time up the grade, believe it or not.
2015 Canyon V-6: 3.6 MPG, 7 MIN. 54 SECS. / 2016 Canyon, 2.8 Duramax 6.7 MPG and 8 MIN. 55 SECS. / 2016 Totoyta Tacoma 4.5 MPG, 8 MINS. 5 SECS. You can believe that or do your own research, that was those guys that test all the trucks up the Ike Gauntlet.

You can do a Mercedes L6 quad valve IDI diesel w/mechanical IP on the cheap that would yield high mpg's....
Yes, but the om606 turbo is TOUGH to find at a reasoneable price here in the states. The om603 3.5l had sevetal known issues, the om603 3.0l is as tough to find as the om606 turbo engine. The om606 na isnt to tough to find, but my resrarch said do not turbo one that the weaker rods and such cant take it. I've seriously considered doing one.

The one that has been done, and does exactly as people want with great power has been the 2.0l VW TDI into many of the little trucks. They say 30's are not hard to get, and they have good power. The 1.9l gets good milage, but power is a bit lacking with the exception of the later ones.

Yes, but the om606 turbo is TOUGH to find at a reasoneable price here in the states. The om603 3.5l had sevetal known issues, the om603 3.0l is as tough to find as the om606 turbo engine. The om606 na isnt to tough to find, but my resrarch said do not turbo one that the weaker rods and such cant take it. I've seriously considered doing one.

The one that has been done, and does exactly as people want with great power has been the 2.0l VW TDI into many of the little trucks. They say 30's are not hard to get, and they have good power. The 1.9l gets good milage, but power is a bit lacking with the exception of the later ones.
Hard to get and the pumps will need to be modified in one of the Nordic states, yes the 3.5 is a known nightmare...I've been looking for the turbo version of the 3.0 myself but everyone has been a beater or way over priced.

The om603 series
3.0 turbos are everywhere in the southwest. Thats what mine is. From 85-89. When the 3.0 first came out the particulate filter next to the head gave issues, but was solved 1/2 way theough first year. If the engine is running now, it has a good head on it- the bad ones all cracked by now.
You can get serious power and life from the 3.0. And the parts are flippin cheap to buy.

You have to do your homework if you want the 3.5- the had some issues so you need to know which to avoid and what to look for.

Om603 3.0l was only in the states from 86-87 from what I could find. The om617 was still around in 85, and only found the om602 after 87 until the 3.5l hit sometime in 89. If you get one of the factory 3.5l longblocks, theres supposed to be good, but the factory ones are ticking time bombs. I wished I could get an om605 imported. They say there dirt cheap overseas, but good luck getting them imported. But that 5 cylinder is one wicked little beast. They say they replace the jeep straight 6's real nicely, and with a little pumpwork, make more power.

The 5 cyl was a great engine- far better than any other small diesel at the time. But its legend was the worse thing about the 6 cylinder. The 6 cyl 3.0 was far better than the 5 cyl, but being only 5cylinders, it stood out in peoples mind, and the couple thousand 6 cylinders with thr bad head made a theory that the 5 was better than the 6. Not acurrate. Once the head issue was fixed, the 6 got better mpg, more power, longer life, cheaper parts, smoother running, the works.

Sorry if I am derailing the thread, I have the Jeep GC 2002 wj with the little 2,7liter crd engine(MB om612) with Quadra drive. In Europe with this engine its certified to tow 7422lb(3369kg). It gets 29.4 mpg easy an when towing 7000lb 18mpg . It's a nice little engine, and tows like a little Train. I also had an Jeep commander 2006 with the 3liter (mb om642)
That was an tough little engine strong as an bull and would tow anything all day long and would trow the commander up to speed in no time. 23.5mpg. And about 18mpg when towing 7000lb.

I also have used an izusu d-max trooper pickup 3.0diesel on work in 2 years . (almost the same car as the collorado in the us) I think it was a little under powered but had a lot of torque it would pull ok when towing but not "fast". The best milage I saw in the d-max was about 27-30mpg. Maybe if you babied it to the extreme you maybe would get it past the 30mark. I have spoken to some people that says they get about 33mpg only highway driving.

Here in Norway about 50% of all cars/trucks are diesel.

And the best I have had mpg wise is the Jeep Patriot 2008 with the ww 2.0diesel I got 44mpg several times on Highway driving.
That's my experience with small diesel engines
Best regards from Norway :)

Sent fra min UMI TOUCH X via Tapatalk

The kicker is, over on your side of the pond you have alot of options. Over here we dont have to many to choose from in diesel. Diesel still has a stigma here in the states from the disaster known as the 5.7l diesel. GM converted a gas engine to diesel and it was a disaster. It wasnt all the engines fault as most drivers didnt understand how to start them, drive them, and dont even mention maintence. The majority of car buyers here, even though many never drove or even seen one, still think all diesels are those disasters of yesteryear, so were just now getting options state side.

They have a few at work, they could do the same work with a car how they are using them-different department from me but next to us. All are bone stock except a tool box. The guys fight for the 1/2 gassers and who looses gets the baby dmax colorado for the day. They are slower and don't handle as well. I talked to their dept. head and he is already trying to trade them off to a different part of the city. Funny thing is he was saying they bought them wanting a really small rig like the old luv. They have to put a couple ice chest size boxes in the back and need a toolbox the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

He also said he was expecting some of the power like his regular dmax. Not as much power but "to scale" as he put it. Not enough to turn him off GM, but he said he wont look at them first next time.

Why cant GM ever seem to get it right!?! Almost everything they make- it's like someone listens to customers, plans the build, sends it in for production and then some bean counter or some suit that has no understanding of what normal people like makes enough changes to turn a great idea into a miss.

Diesel suburban, diesel mini truck, hybrid electric, crap- they were even the death nail in Hummers. Every single change GM told AM General to make with the Hummer line drove the price out of reach for most and made more issues in it. Frigin paste eaters in charge.

Fuel mileage is only a tick better than my 2500HD.
Take into account it's ride height(alot of wind goes under it), aggressive tires, and considering weight/size it's practically a 1500, 21.5 average over months of driving isn't to bad. That said, I think the 1500 diesel will do away with the 2.8l, then GM can stay in house, and not have to buy the Fiat engine. This engine was short lived in the JEEP in the US, and I foresee the same for it with GM.

Back