• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OBS Banks 6.2L Sidewinder Project

RESULTS: Ok, some first impression results. It definitely hits harder. Sort of feels like when I used to drive with my WMI on, but it's not on. Holds in a lot more heat for the turbo system. Before, when I pushed the clutch in, boost dumped to zero instantly. I'd be hard pressed to downshift to 3200rpm and see 1psi. Now, downshifting to 2200rpm I will see a pound or two. And when I'm cruising and let off the throttle, boost drops slower down to about 3 psi then very slowly comes down from there. Oh, and also, EGT's are down about 125*F. I haven't driven it much. So this is just in the maybe 30min I've driven in. But will keep updating the more I drive it and collect data

So been driving it a bit more, and wow. The low end torque is much more impressive. I don't have to drive it like a 2 stroke anymore. Lugging is a thing of the past. 4th gear, 1000rpm, and she will pull herself right out of it no problem. The rpm/power drop from 3rd-4th is no longer a problem. I wish every 6.5L had come this way from the factory

It is. One major thing I noticed is that everything on the rear is now MUCH easier to get to. The starter can be accessed easier, the oil cooler lines and fittings are a 2 minute job now, oil filter can be taken off easier, just stuff like that. I am loving it for that part too!!!. And the crossover pipe up front takes about 5 minutes to take off, and can easily be removed for access to anything up front should the need arise.

It is. One major thing I noticed is that everything on the rear is now MUCH easier to get to. The starter can be accessed easier, the oil cooler lines and fittings are a 2 minute job now, oil filter can be taken off easier, just stuff like that. I am loving it for that part too!!!. And the crossover pipe up front takes about 5 minutes to take off, and can easily be removed for access to anything up front should the need arise.
Injectors on Pass side are readily accessible too!

You did a great job here. Love hearing your results! You're making me wish I had done a variant of this for my header project though one of my goals was to not disturb my earlier work. I like that you have improved serviceability of components while improving performance. Fantastic project, thanks for sharing!

Thanks. I've been spending the few days of free time I have cleaning everything up under the hood and re-routing wires and everything. It's been a CHORE to say the least doing this project, but the bottom end torque gains are so substantial that I wish I had it in my ability to make these into a kit and sell. Hands down, it is THE best mod I have done to my truck probably. I am really excited to see the results of your project!!! Yours is a LOT cleaner too lol Mucho jealous

Thanks. I've been spending the few days of free time I have cleaning everything up under the hood and re-routing wires and everything. It's been a CHORE to say the least doing this project, but the bottom end torque gains are so substantial that I wish I had it in my ability to make these into a kit and sell. Hands down, it is THE best mod I have done to my truck probably. I am really excited to see the results of your project!!! Yours is a LOT cleaner too lol Mucho jealous
Thanks, man! Although the results of mine are yet to be seen and I'd take performance over clean any day. In the end, you've inspired me to think more about what my next steps will be and I think that is the huge benefit we get from sharing our results. I can't wait to see what the results are on the strip when you go!

Yeah. I'm pretty excited to go back to the strip. Although it will be hard to say what gains will be just by strip times but it will help. I was only able to make one pass last year, and I ended up going on the last day of the drags for the season. So I have only one pass to compare it too. But the times and trap speed had put me around 288rwhp. So hopefully with a run or two I will be able to see any gains compared against that.

watching your progress.... lends well to running compounds as well, if you go and search our testing of this from 3 years ago you will find all sorts of info...

Do you think an ATT would fit on these? I believe it is a physically larger turbo so it might require some type of offset pedestal adapter.

thanks
micky

Do you think an ATT would fit on these? I believe it is a physically larger turbo so it might require some type of offset pedestal adapter.

thanks
micky
I run the ATT on mine. It does require an elbow set up to mount it if you don't want to cut up the inner fender.

I know it's been a while but what's the long term consensus on this? Is there any changes you would make?

I know it's been a while but what's the long term consensus on this? Is there any changes you would make?

I got the ATT system from @WarWagon, it was a direct bolt on with the components He sent with it.
I had installed the improved turbo drain back system from @quadstar87 for the original GM8 turbo and the that drain back bolted right up to the
ATT turbo.
That is a nice improvement over the hose coupler system to the block off plate of the original drain back.

Back