• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another fan clutch option, ElectroMag type.

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Well with so many fan clutch threads going I thought I'd spill my beans. I've been prototyping an ElectroMag set up that I have machined for our trucks.
Its thermostatically controlled and is ON or OFF! it is also 100% of shaft speed.
This means no drag when its not needed and when you do need it you get 100% of shaft speed.
Should save some MPGs.
Its going to be a very simple installation.
I was not really ready to unveil it but with so much interest in them lately I thought I'd thow mine out there too.
It will use the Duramax fan blade and work with the 4 bolt flange or the screw on clutch type water pumps.
I've been running the prototype about a year without any problems.
I'll get some picture tomorrow in the light.

I could test it out (try and break it) for you in our summer weather... ;)

I live in Palmdale ca and have heat here now. I'm about to rip out my bolt on water pump and go to the screw on water pump, but if you have this soon, I can wait and spend my money with you instead of the upgrade. Know when it may be avail?

Ok, interested to see it also. Now, how do we go from 0-3 options this fast? jk I know everyone had to spend some decent time getting here.

Competition is great. Within a few days three new options popped up. Who ever is going to put it out first on the market is going to have a few orders right away. Come on guys.. Summer is right around the corner

Awesome news! I personally dont think highly of the OEM style clutches, and like on/off style setups, our experience is with semi trucks and the air operated systems.

Irregardless, IMO systems that fully lock up the fan are superior, whether they are electric, air, or hydraulic.

Thanks again for taking the time to get cool stuff like this out on the market for the 6.5L.

This clutch will lend itself to running higher temp stats & EVANS coolant then adjusting the fan clutch engagement to suit running temps.

EVANS had done tests and found that running higher temps in diesels equate a 2.04 to 4.04 increase in mpgs on big rigs while the coolant alone made no difference.

Engine oil (dino) temps must be kept under 250 deg f however pure synthetic will allow that number to be raised w/o breaking down under thermal load.

EVANS 205 deg f stat part # E3020

Price?

I need something badly.
Still to be determined

I could test it out (try and break it) for you in our summer weather... ;)
I thought about you! The nice thing about this set up is it possible to return to stock fan/clutch in about 20 minutes in an emergency.

I live in Palmdale ca and have heat here now. I'm about to rip out my bolt on water pump and go to the screw on water pump, but if you have this soon, I can wait and spend my money with you instead of the upgrade. Know when it may be avail?
Will be late June-early July if all gos to plan.

Ok, interested to see it also. Now, how do we go from 0-3 options this fast? jk I know everyone had to spend some decent time getting here.
It is a lot of time to develop and a huge amount of money trying different things/machine time....ect

Awesome news! I personally dont think highly of the OEM style clutches, and like on/off style setups, our experience is with semi trucks and the air operated systems.

Irregardless, IMO systems that fully lock up the fan are superior, whether they are electric, air, or hydraulic.

Thanks again for taking the time to get cool stuff like this out on the market for the 6.5L.

Thank you!

make sure and post up the dimensions of it. I'm interested, but I have space constraints that many dont.
I'll get some pics later today. Would this be for your Dmax or do you have a 6.5? This is set up for the 6.5, but Im sure when there is a will there is a way to set up on a Dmax too.
This clutch will lend itself to running higher temp stats & EVANS coolant then adjusting the fan clutch engagement to suit running temps.

EVANS had done tests and found that running higher temps in diesels equate a 2.04 to 4.04 increase in mpgs on big rigs while the coolant alone made no difference.

Engine oil (dino) temps must be kept under 250 deg f however pure synthetic will allow that number to be raised w/o breaking down under thermal load.

EVANS 205 deg f stat part # E3020
Is the stat for a single or dual set up? I found a 203* single type I'd like to test out unless evans is for a single?

Still to be determined

I thought about you! The nice thing about this set up is it possible to return to stock fan/clutch in about 20 minutes in an emergency.

Will be late June-early July if all gos to plan.

It is a lot of time to develop and a huge amount of money trying different things/machine time....ect

Thank you!

I'll get some pics later today. Would this be for your Dmax or do you have a 6.5? This is set up for the 6.5, but Im sure when there is a will there is a way to set up on a Dmax too.

Is the stat for a single or dual set up? I found a 203* single type I'd like to test out unless evans is for a single?

The EVANS is for dual thermostat housing.

o_O That's a suggestion I frequently ignore... Seriously I ruin oil cooler hoses rated at 250 continuous and should run synthetic oil all the time. UOA always shows me how I ruined the engine oil. :rolleyes: With the Spool valve setup I had to run synthetic oil.

o_O That's a suggestion I frequently ignore... Seriously I ruin oil cooler hoses rated at 250 continuous and should run synthetic oil all the time. UOA always shows me how I ruined the engine oil. :rolleyes: With the Spool valve setup I had to run synthetic oil.

Yea, it sounds like things get a little heated maybe time for bigger cooler here's a good 350 deg f hose rated for synthetic engine oil too...http://www.veyance.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=6078

Yea, it sounds like things get a little heated maybe time for bigger cooler here's a good 350 deg f hose rated for synthetic engine oil too...http://www.veyance.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=6078

That is some good hose! I wonder what rating Leroy's kit has? Looks like the higher rated hose maybe.

It doesn't get any bigger overkill than this... And that wasn't enough with low oil pressure alarms after towing some days. :hungover:
http://killerbeeperformance.com/oil-cooling/td-eoc-pricing/
220 F oil resistant line - Ruined and started dripping oil.
AQP SYNTHETIC, 280 F - Ruined with visible surface cracks on the hose.
... Gave up and got a Cummins. :wacky: Course that only has a 6PSI switch and a completely "fake" gauge.
Eliminating hoses with hot oil in it was a good thing in the factory Duramax design, but, not enough cooling for me.

That is some good hose! I wonder what rating Leroy's kit has? Looks like the higher rated hose maybe.

It doesn't get any bigger overkill than this... And that wasn't enough with low oil pressure alarms after towing some days. :hungover:
http://killerbeeperformance.com/oil-cooling/td-eoc-pricing/
220 F oil resistant line - Ruined and started dripping oil.
AQP SYNTHETIC, 280 F - Ruined with visible surface cracks on the hose.
... Gave up and got a Cummins. :wacky: Course that only has a 6PSI switch and a completely "fake" gauge.
Eliminating hoses with hot oil in it was a good thing in the factory Duramax design, but, not enough cooling for me.
Only towing I do lately is M101a3/M116a3 loaded for off-road jaunts or firing range very seldom will tow a 7k lb trailer.

I have a 94 Cummins Ram 3500 dually for the hard work it's only issue is a crappy 47RH no one seems to get right while rebuilding.

The slow shifting NV-5600 is supposed to be the best, but, $2,000 and 2 clutches later... (Rebuilt 4L80E with Yank converter are same cost.) Parts are very expensive. I have less time in the garage working on the 2003 Cummins, but, paid more in parts.

Lets the 1993 be the fun truck now, but, the 1993 was towing and moving when the 2003 was in the shop for a clutch.

Depending on price I'm certainly interested in this. The one on my truck has been there a while. Plus being able to turn it full on/off will be handy when four-wheeling.

It would be for my DURAMAX. We already know the 01-05 fan blade will bolt right onto a spin on 6.5 fan clutch, and the 6.5L and DURAMAX use the same water pump spin on thread. My problem is with my swap, my fan clutch is already pretty close to the radiator.

Here are a couple pics. Not much to see. If I recall the distance in just alittle bit shorter than the stock fan clutch set up, so you should have more clearance from fan to radiator. Maybe 1/2-3/4" IIRC
I'll get a tape out tomorrow and measure.

DSCF2150.JPG DSCF2151.JPG

That looks like it's 1/2" - 3/4" closer to the radiator. My fan sticks out from the shroud.

DSCN2698.JPG

DSCN2700.JPG

Back