• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

What style waste gate are you running now? If you still have the stock one that came with the turbo, it's set for 20psi and can't be set lower. I think that setup will only allow increased boost. Might want to start with a waste gate pot set at a lower pressure and adjust from there.

What style waste gate are you running now? If you still have the stock one that came with the turbo, it's set for 20psi and can't be set lower. I think that setup will only allow increased boost. Might want to start with a waste gate pot set at a lower pressure and adjust from there.

Yeah I'm still using the stock wastegate. When I put the turbo on I rotated the pot half a turn which should have reduced the preload slightly. The highest boost level I had seen with that setup was 18psi, however I don't know if that was due to the wastegate opening or due to lack of fuel. We'll see how it works once back together. If it does indeed open at 18psi still, I think that would be good for my towing setting, if not, then I'll need to get a different pot like you suggest so I can set the boost lower.

Yeah I'm still using the stock wastegate. When I put the turbo on I rotated the pot half a turn which should have reduced the preload slightly. The highest boost level I had seen with that setup was 18psi, however I don't know if that was due to the wastegate opening or due to lack of fuel. We'll see how it works once back together. If it does indeed open at 18psi still, I think that would be good for my towing setting, if not, then I'll need to get a different pot like you suggest so I can set the boost lower.

With the adjuster coming out of the pot on my HX I was able to adjust it to run anywhere from 10+ PSI and WOT. Currently runnnint about 18 PSI. Im sure it can be adjusted to go lower as well to work with your boost controller. At least its a starting point.

With the adjuster coming out of the pot on my HX I was able to adjust it to run anywhere from 10+ PSI and WOT. Currently runnnint about 18 PSI. Im sure it can be adjusted to go lower as well to work with your boost controller. At least its a starting point.

Yeah, it would be cheaper to play with the existing one and see how it responds for sure....and then if I can't get it to do what I want then I'll get a new one.

Pressure washing parts tonight. It's really fun when it's so cold that your degreaser freezes! Yes that's ice, not soap foam...image.jpg

Just the thought of pressure washing in that kind of cold sends a chill up my spine! :D So why do you have both timing covers, and plate out there? Trying to decide which ones your going to use?

Matt

Just the thought of pressure washing in that kind of cold sends a chill up my spine! :D So why do you have both timing covers, and plate out there? Trying to decide which ones your going to use?

Matt

Yeah it's no fun for sure!! I wanted to be sure the cleaner stuff off the Optimizer was for sure the same as the 97 stuff. Plus since I'll be hanging on to my extra stuff I figured it would be better to store clean parts rather greasy parts.

Nice work Nate. I've never worried much about noise reduction, but if I did, that looks like it would be the way to go.

Matt

We'll see. It seemed it was something good to try while the engine was out.

That does look gook. Does it take to a form pretty good?

Yes it forms very well. Fellow Traveler has it on his S&B air box in his cold air induction thread and he did a really nice job forming it around that. I searched DEI Tunnel Shield on YouTube last week and found a video of a guy installing it on the floor of his truck. You can see how formable it is in that thread. I also bought a Dynamat roller to really lay it on the firewall.

I got the Tunnel Shield finished on the firewall. I just need to tape all the seams with foil tape. It didn't go too badly overall. I think I have about 3 hours into installing the Tunnel Shield and of course I got faster as I went. One thing that made it faster was not worrying about making perfect butt joints and letting it overlap. I also ended up putting a second layer in the middle of the firewall to cover seams and also to hopefully get additional sound deadening there.

Something else I did today was paint the valve covers and oil pan with sound deadening paint. Who knows if it will do anything but I had the paint so why not? Hopefully it keeps the tin pieces from being speakers of sorts for the internal noises. Unfortunately I had to brush the paint on so the valve covers won't be nice and smooth but if it does knock the sound down then it's fine. Also since I'm painting it cast iron gray I don't think it will look that bad. I also painted the new gas tank with the same paint since it is supposed to be really good at fighting rust. I have heat lamps on them now to hopefully help them cure, but I'm also hoping I can throw them in an oven at work to get them cured fully before top coating. I don't think I'll be painting the engine until next weekend. I wanted to paint the firewall with this paint but didn't think I could get it to cure well enough before I installed the Tunnel Shield. The paint is really interesting...it's really thick, thicker than paint, but not as thick as tar. You can see the spheres floating in it kind of like metallic paint. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back