• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

That ought to do the job Dave. :thumbsup: What are you doing outside to trim the siding?

To save money you should have just tinted the inside of the window and painted it black. Then to convert it back peel off the tint.

From the outside it would just look like a tinted window.
Windows are already 5% tinted, so you can't see in anyway. Outside is keeping the window. Wanted it all to blend.

Looks like a twinner to the one I bought last weekend for $200. I think mine is 20-22ft, full bath, kitchen w/booth, dinning area, and bunk. I have started the refurbish... recycle, repurpose, re-use. Planning to save and as much as original fixtures and the like as well.

14A050C1-D9F0-4DA2-90E6-468F330BB079.jpg

Welp, it happened. I ended up picking this 95 Alpenlite Silverton 11' camper. I originally wanted a 9'-9.5' camper, but after looking at them, there just wasn't enough storage space or general space inside. I looked at this and although it's heavy (3,200LBS with liquids) it has so many more features and space that it's worth it. Riding quads all day will be much nicer coming back to this to recoup.

It has a few problems - the roof will need replaced soon - for now it will get re-coated. There is some soft paneling near the dinette/couch, which will be repaired. I'm not worried about any of that with this camper - I specifically sought out an Alpenlite or Western Wilderness (same manufacturer) for their use of a fiberglass from cap and siding, one-piece rubber roof, aluminum framing and rigid foam insulation. The paneling and floor can rot and be replaced, but the structure and exterior are so much more solid than any wood framed camper.

92F3EBBF-2896-4962-B31B-1B7AF9D540A6.jpg

C887A57F-44A0-482A-A083-DDD2971EB864.jpg

F5BE1277-94BC-4B8D-A2AD-EB39DE173604.jpg

ABF8D038-9006-480C-955E-F00FE1B832E3.jpg

It's loaded with everything but a TV and generator. Has a large fridge, microwave, AC, electronic ignition everything, CD player, rockford fosgate speakers.... And it has plenty of lighting (which will become LED soon). Plus is has heated holding tanks for winter use.

I ordered a set of torklift frame mount camper tie-downs, a 17k superhitch, and 48" extension.

What does this mean for the trailer?

It's going away.

We will see. Not sure how many "mods" this will get in order to be interesting enough.

I did order LEDs for it today........

I determined that I could not in a right mind have a truck and being towing a trailer with 100% LED lighting and NOT have LEDs in the camper.... It would just be stupid. xD

Listed the Nomad on craigslist, currently have 3 people who want to look at it tonight... So I clean it up. Decided I didn't want to deal with unloading the camper so the red truck is making what I hope is the final pull of it.

Likely the last time I'll see this combination. Just over 4 good years of service to me.
58F27DD4-B82C-4B41-BB11-FC5519F993CB.jpg

Old VS new.
C394A8D0-200A-4836-93D2-8ABF66F4ED2B.jpg

D46FA187-E751-424D-A30E-2D71B3BC1C97.jpg

Pretty momentous occasion actually. Represents alot of hard work. Someone gets a really good value.

Sent from my SCH-I535

After cleaning it last night I was sitting in it thinking about all the trips I've went on- all the joy, hate, frustration and reliability I've had with it.... I'm sad to part with it yet happy to be done with it... It's a love/hate thing for sure.

Cool photos of your old and new. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your new camper shell. But where will the quads go?

Looks like you cannot tow with that shell, as it looks to long to reach the hitch. They do make a special receiver hitch with cables or chains to help with the weight, but not sure if you have that.

I posted this in the truck thread. I bought a Tork Lift superhitch and 48" super truss. Rated for 600lbs tongue and 6,000lbs if towing dead weight, 1,200lbs and 12,000lbs if using weight distribution.

0647CE78-994B-46E6-A870-55D1062DD3B2.jpg

957F0338-AD08-4691-AFA3-DE18144337E0.jpg

D825014B-A0DC-41F0-8019-E3E37DAE01E3_2.jpg

C8277455-7633-49F7-ADE3-375814375537.jpg

And where it ended up relative the camper....
EF6D9CE5-1AAE-4531-813E-13927164A348.jpg

DBC35C05-7D05-4900-B1FD-70284C4DB450.jpg

And this will solve the quad problem :) It's my co-workers and I have access to it whenever I want. I did all his wiring on it, full LED with a strobe controller.
20140512_125153.jpg

20140512_125130.jpg

I've seen many of them in use. If you actually saw the construction if it and the receiver you'd change your mind :)

That is the hitch that I was trying to describe. Looks like you have everything covered, even the quads. ;) Be sure to take photos when you go.
Good luck with your new set up. It is very nice! :thumbsup:

If the forward ends of the chains were elevated more, I would be more inspired.

That is the hitch that I was trying to describe. Looks like you have everything covered, even the quads. ;) Be sure to take photos when you go.
Good luck with your new set up. It is very nice! :thumbsup:
Oh there will be plenty of photos :)

If the forward ends of the chains were elevated more, I would be more inspired.
Unfortunately there isn't any good way to move the chains up at all - my camper actually just rests on the hitch extension as is. The chains aren't providing any upward lift anyway, just side to side stability. The two 2" bars have plates between them that torque them together combined with them both being pinned into the receiver - The top tube is solid 2" for almost the entire length, then sleeved over for the receiver portion. The lower bar is 2" tube and is bolted together with the upper. I've seen many, many of these hitches in action, they look scary but after assembling and using one, I can assure you they are anything but. It really acts as an extension of the trucks frame, I've not found any movement or flex in the system yet.

Back