• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

I can tell you right now, if the floor is bad it means your walls are too. Unfortunately these trailers suffer from a very poor clearance light design that allows water to follow the wires in and drip in the walls. Never knew until I pulled the paneling out of mine when it was raining after chasing a leak for over a year. The left front corner is the worse, all the light wiring runs down that corner and most trailers of this design are rotted out there.

Bit of an update! after this summer of adventures, my P rated Cooper tires are about shot. I know, I know, p-rated tires on a trailer. They have adequate load capacity (well over the weight of the trailer) but are quite like balloons. The P sidewalls flex way too much. 2 of them have plugs and one has a bulge in the sidewall. I hadn't had a problem and always check pressure before leaving and check temps when I stop. On my last trip one of the plugs started leaking badly, I re-plugged it and still, it leaked down. So I've been on the lookout for a set of proper tires.

Last night I picked up these babies.

2012-10-17_17-38-21_698.jpg

Maxxis M8008 ST225/75R15 Load D tires. Got them off craigslist for $180 with rims. They are only a few years old and were stored inside, and have almost no treadwear. They seller took them off his 5-er because he's going to be doing a year long cross country trip and wanted new tires. Good for me, these tires are well above the capacity I need for my trailer at 2,500 LBS each.

So I broke down the old tires to clean up the rims (unfortunately the 6-lug wheels won't work for me). They are off-white and have some rust here and there. You can see the difference in the second picture the difference between new and old paint.
2012-10-17_21-43-38_2.jpg

2012-10-17_21-43-28_839.jpg

2012-10-17_22-49-14_858.jpg

Having them mounted and balanced after work today. Then getting ready for some camping this weekend!

Well had the tires mounted, then headed up to the mountains for some snow camping! I can tell you these tires track so much straighter than the old ones, it's a night and day difference.

It was a nice trip, enjoyed the scenery and weather. Took the trailer places no trailer has probably ever went. Found a nice clearing down narrow muddy, rocky and rutted out trail to camp at. Was such a beautiful place. Saturday night I was using my Firesword (3,000 Lumen LED flashlight) and noticed some eyes, after watching awhile turned out to be a cougar stalking our camp... That was interesting. Anyway, enjoy.

P1120411.jpg

P1120412.jpg

P1120413.jpg

P1120421.jpg

P1120422.jpg

P1120424.jpg

P1120425.jpg

P1120426.jpg

P1120427.jpg

P1120428.jpg

P1120429.jpg

P1120430.jpg

P1120431.jpg

P1120432.jpg

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Nice pics David, I see you had a bit of snow.

We had 6-8" a couple days ago, I'm not ready for it yet.

On my last trip, the golf cart batteries were basically on their last legs. Between the heater, water pump and minimal lighting they wouldn't last more than the day. So, before I went on this trip I picked up a new larger pair of 12v marine batteries. I liked the golf cart batteries wired in series to make 12v for the safety factor. Well, their warranty is 3 months free replacement... 12 months pro rated. The new batteries are 12 months free, 3 years prorated. The golf cart ones lasted 2 years, hoping these will last longer.

Had to move the battery hold downs farther out and shorten them due tot he differing sizes.

P1120511.jpg

And my short trip this weekend.
P1120503.jpg

P1120513.jpg

I'm sure you probably already know this, BUT-----just in case you don't.

When the trailer is setting at home don't keep the trailer plugged in AND have the batteries hooked up to the 12V power supply. This will have the battery charger function running 100% of the time and will kill the batteries eventually. I did this once not realizing the the 12V power center didn't automatically switch off the charger function when the batteries were fully charged.

What I do now--- I wired in a battery kill switch so that when using my trailer I switch the batteries on. When the trailer is in storage I turn the batteries off. In this switch position I have a battery minder wired in so that the batteries are being kept up to full charge (trickle charge) only when the minder knows that is needed.

Shhh, don't tell anybody that I, a cabinetmaker no less, misscut the opening for the battery minder. Embarrassing!

Don

Attachments

• IMGP1631.jpg
    IMGP1631.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 6
Oh trust me, I know inverter chargers will quickly boil batteries. My trailer has an inverter charger I installed in it. It is however not hard wired into the trailer and instead just plugs into an outlet under the cabinet. The inverter puts out too much juice and my LED lights don't really like it, so it has remained unplugged. I've been thinking about removing it because honestly I've never used it and only once camped where there was 120v, everything in the trailer is 12v anyway.

As it normally sits, the trailer is plugged in to 120v with the inverter/charger unplugged, and I use a battery tender.

I always forget to update the pictures from my outings. Went out to central washington 2 weekends ago.

Nothing like lakefront camping!
IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0675.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg

IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0667.jpg

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0712.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

I'm not very familiar with the lakes of central Washington. The pictures look like the lake on Hy 395 just west of Sprague. I had to look that up because my mental picture didn't have any names embedded. I'm sure that it must be elsewhere as this area is not too far west of Spokane (almost to Idaho for those not familiar with the area), but the countryside does look similar.

Anyway, great pics, as usual. Thanks for posting them.

Don

Don, this area was off of I90, near the town of quincy. I know the lakes near Sprague, very similar for sure.

Sent from my TBI 454 powered android device.

Been awhile since I've posted anything or even done something to the trailer other than use it.

The biggest news if you haven't heard (where have you been?) is that the 88 is towpig no more... It's been retired from those duties and actually is off the road entirely at the moment. I've picked up quite the replacement towpig...

It's a 1998 Chevy Silverado K3500, 454 NV4500. I bought it with 135k on the clock and a bad transmission for a good price. It was 100% stock when I got it, obviously I've blacked a few things out, re-did the lighting and made it a GMC.
IMAG0312.jpg

Here she is on the last outing with the trailer and all 3 quads.
IMG_0173-1.jpg

Now, back to what we are here for: Trailer mods.

Seeing as it's winter and I'm going to be out camping in the cold, I finally decided it was time to upgrade the heating system. The original forced air furnace worked ok, but once temps dipped under 30 outside it really struggled to keep it toasty inside. Combine that with the fact that is forced air, the fan runs the batteries down enough by mid day 2 that they need a charge.

Time for a catalytic heater. I picked up a Camco Wave 8 on amazon. A friend of mine has the 3 model and loves it in his camper. Since my trailer is larger and is less airtight than newer stuff, I decided go big or go home.
57351.png

The purchase was the easy part. Finding a place to mount it in a trailer that has tons of cabinets and windows is the hard part... It is 15"x21" and needs 4" on sides and bottom plus 18" on top of clearance. That's a big footprint.

I decided that the only fixed window in the trailer was pretty much useless anyway. It's meant to me a fire escape style window, but really it just lets heat out and can't really be used for ventilation. If there were ever a fire in this thing or some emergency, the likelihood of me not being able to get out is minimal. Worst case I'll break through one of the jalousie windows, since could easily be ripped out. Plus the hot water heater is under the couch so there is propane available nearby.

Removed all the trim and curtains, installed some blocking and rigid insulation, then paneled over the opening.
IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

Odd not having a window there anymore, but honestly this trailer has more windows than it needs. The entire front wall, opposite side of the couch, dinette, kitchen, entrance door and bathroom, plus 2 skylight vents. Really I'm not loosing any natural light.

Then to get the heater mounted, and run the propane line.
IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

Unfortunately the hamper door is right in the way of running the line straight down, but this works. If the window & frame weren't part of the wall I'd have bought the recess kit and sunk it in the wall and ran the lines inside. Oh well. This heater will be removed when I sell the trailer and change to a slide in camper. At that time the blockout panel will be removed and everything will go back to normal.
IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

Man it cranks out the heat. Unlike the forced air furnace this consumes interior oxygen, so I need to crack a window and vent. No big deal there. Now that I have it all situated I'll have to get the blockout panel painted up and blend it into the wall, but that will come at a later date.

That ought to do the job Dave. :thumbsup: What are you doing outside to trim the siding?

To save money you should have just tinted the inside of the window and painted it black. Then to convert it back peel off the tint.

From the outside it would just look like a tinted window.

Back