• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

Also I forgot to ask why did you use the solid mounts? You don't want to run the liquid filled mounts so it doesn't raffle the sub? Just curious. Ebay has them for 25 each.

Wow you are doing an amazing job. I have been looking every where for for a good thread and this one is great. I have a 5 month old baby and another on the way. Got a f350 400 hp 16 mpg and a Mercedes diesel 44 mpg I live 38 miles from town and need a car for the wife that gets good mpg. My broth er law gave me his 94 suburban 4x4 leather interior. Im going to drop in a 4bt or a 4bd.

So my question is can you help me find an engine for a good price. 4bt cummins or 4bd Isuzu. Also which one do you recommend?
I found one for 1700 waiting for shipping quote.

Were did you get the transmission adapter. I want to use the 700r that's in it or whatever tyranny that's in it.

I live in California so I have to taked it to a ref station. When im done to convert to. diesel.
Thank any help would be awesome.

Thank you. Adapter for Isuzu auto is tough to find right now. The guy I bought mine from is "out of touch" he fell off the grid and no one seems to be able to contact him. In a few months when I pull this engine I will look into producing an improved adapter. So right now I would recomend the 4bt Cummins.
Keep your eyes on craigslist
My latest 4bd2 was $975 shipped from NY to TX.

I have seen those mounts before. I figured I use the Isuzu mounts since they were free. If I don't like them I can switch up when new engine goes in.
http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/photo.html
This guy sells adapters. Ill probably buy from him.

What have you decided about the exhaust. I found a motor for 1000 plus 600 shipped so I waiting to see what year it is. Have you tackled the electrical?

Yea thats where I got mine. I drove up there to pick it up, but no one has been able to reach him since about that same time. I have text him a few times myself to see if I could rep for his adapters, but have not heard back.
As far as electrical go's there really is none on the engine. 12V to starter and she will run. You can hook up the electric solenoid cable that is the engine kill or just hook a manual cable to it.
The trans (4L80E in my case) is easy. I sell a OptiShift controller for them. Its a plug & play system. Except you will need to split the signal from VSSB so speedo works.
I got some 4" mandrel bends from DiamondEye today. Since I will be running a custom turbo I will have to fab up the exhaust. The outlet on turbo is 4" its going to be pretty cool when done.
If you just run the stock isuzu turbo you can use the down pipe from the Isuzu. I believe it would fit right in no problem.
What is the motor you found? 4BT?

I found a 4bd1t I hopes a 94 I found the email in the guys thread on the second page saying he would do a engine swap for someone. He's in Florida making stairs.
I also e mailed the guy about the adapter. I hope he picks up or I don't know what to do.
I hope you post more pics soon. Electrical I was meaning the off solenoid and the guages on the dash. The speck should hook up to the tranny correct? I get my suburban hopefully in a few weeks so I can start playing.

Ps on my cell sorry for spelling.

4BD1 only went to 92 I think after is 4BD1

4BD1 is a good motor maybe better than the 4BD2 like I have. 4BD1 is direct injection and the head design is supposed to be stronger because there is more metal in it instead of a precombustion area.
Fairly minor consearn for me.
Electrical is easy just mount the 6.5 sensors on the Isuzu and plug em in.
Not sure what you mean by "The speck should hook up to the tranny correct?"

Sorry the speedo. my phone auto correct everything. i got ahold of that guy 600 something for the adapter. Sounds good to me. the guy with the engine has the engine all apart so i would have to buy an engine rebuilt kit. soo 1000 for the engine. 600 to ship another 1200 for an enginge rebuild kit. Might as well go with a 4bt. can you help me find an engine. i would prefer one out of California. I would like a cutout so everything comes with it.

What tranny you have?
As for finding an engine just keep an eye on all your online sources. Try to get a complete truck there are so many pieces you will be able to use that you don't think about til you need it.
A 4bt will be an easier swap.

Got some new parts machined for the turbo and some 4" elbows for the down pipe. I'll try to post pics later.
Not much progress in last few days its been raining to much. We need it though for sure.

Got some exhaust peices in. Its been wet and not able to do much plus its to cold to go outside!! its like 55-60*!!! here.

I just mocked this up to give me an idea of what I still need. Looks like I have everything just need to fit it all in. It will be a true 4" from Turbo back.
I'll be able to attach to the DiamondEye exhaust at the point it starts the 4" pipe.
DSCN3173.JPG
DSCN3175.JPG

Below are some pics of the turbo flange I had machined for me and the clamp.
The pipe fits over the shoulder of the flange and is then welded inplace.
DSCN3174.JPG
DSCN3176.JPG
DSCN3177.JPG
DSCN3179.JPG

Have a Merry Christmas.

Been enjoying the swap thread. Wish I had the funds do the diesel swap into my Toyota FJ40.

55-60*? I wish it was that warm here. It's been in the 30s to low-low 40s here for a couple weeks now. The only good part of that is that the usual rain isn't mixed with the cold temps.

Don

Back