• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

300hp possible???

heavrolet98

Reaction score
Is it really possible to make 300 rwhp with a 6.5? If so, how much would it cost? Would it be more cost effective to just swap a 12v Cummins in?

If your after big #s the Cummins is the way to go, or Isuzu 6BD1. Cummins has way more aftermarket support. Im in the process of a 4BD2 swap right now. Will have 6.5 out today.

I see in you signature you have "ECSB" 2500. I've never seen a 6.5 2500 in a short bed. Thats very rare if factory

It is possible and it has been done, and a few have the numbers to prove it (now accuracy of dynos is a whole other topic, but I tend to believe they are close)

Its not easy, and there are several members in the 6.5 community working towards that goal. Some may already be there and just don't have the numbers yet.

I am one that is working towards it, it takes alot of patience and trying new things out and tinkering. There is no recipe. Like Leroy said, the Cummins is gonna have a MUCH larger aftermarket and it depends on how deep your pockets are but 300 rwhp on a Cummins is easy.

Getting a 6.5 to 300 rwhp can be expensive too, depending on where you start and how much work you are willing to do yourself.

I agree with Leroy, if you want big #s, go with the Cummins. You will most likely never be satisfied with the 6.5.

Cheaper to remove the 6.5, drop in a built 454 with all the trimmings, and buy a lot of high test gas and make 400 HP. The 6.5 looses MPG after a point turned up. The Cummings will do better MPG's as it is DI. Keeping the 6.5 cool turned up is a challenge unless it is a drag truck.

Recall the 6.5 is already nearly at double the original rating and crack the main bearings out stock.

The truck is my DD. I don't really tow with it and I never go to the drag strip. I just wanna beable to keep up with my buddies. I can do all of the work myself I just don't know what to do or where to start. I feel that it would be cheaper to swap in a 12V Cummins and turn the pump up than it would be to try and come anywhere close to that number with my 6.5. I also think that the 12V would be more reliable.

Cummins in a ifs 4x4 will need a body lift or motor mount mods and diff lowered.

if your interessted i see you live in sebring you should come by my shop and check out my swap i just finished. 93 3500 12v. my shop is between avonpark and sebring.

Hell ya I'm interested. Are you mudfreak customs on 27? If not where are you? I'm in georgia for training right now but I'll be back thursday night and would love to come check it out on friday. Also my truck already has a 2" body lift and i'm planning to do a SAS at some point in the future.

Or you could leave that one alone and go buy yourself a 'racetruck'...

Many different scenarios, many different levels of cash outlay and mechanical prowess required.

SAS = solid axle swap, you are right

Also in the near future for my truck (hopefully) but on a budget

Ive heard it easier to sas (now I know what sas means!!) in a 2wd truck vs a 4x4. I have a 2005 Super Duty (coil spring) and it would look very simular. Are ya'll thinking leaf or coil?

I considered coil but I think I am gonna do leaf sprung. But my whole goal is going to be to swap it and make it look factory, so little lift, maybe 3", so it sets about as high as a 90s ford 3/4 or 1 ton. Probably going to be a junkyard Dana 44 and junkyard parts (like I said, its on a budget ha).

I think it would be easier on a 2wd Leroy. From what I have heard, one of the hardest parts of a SAS is tearing out all the IFS parts.

That's been done before no challenge, challenge is to build it :) and keep it together.

Those last four words are the main thing there lol. Putting a cummins in would be piece of mind and lighter on the wallet that's for sure. It sounds way better to me to spend less and get more in terms of reliability, doesn't it to you there TD? I'm stuck though and the money's already spent so the saying goes...hindsight is 20/20 right? :)

Back