• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

300hp possible???

Our first custom build was addressing exactly that, the poor side-mount turbo design. We are doing another now, (just got the pistons and rods all weighed and measured for balancing) that will also be a balanced turbo exhaust. I still feel, that if we (and I mean all 6.2/6.5L owners) can keep the bottom end together and the headgaskets in it we should be able to go over 500rwhp. We are not looking for that this build though, just to get +300rwhp.

.....and Mike, we are sure that it will not be the guys that are negative and bickering all the time, who will get the +300. They are too busy pulling down to build anything up.....keep on building.

Thats the truth keep thinking outside the box and youll be fine

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Let's chuck some simple math out there.

(450/ft x 3600 rpm) / 5252 = 308 crank hp.

That's the formula for calculating hp.

Now, loose about 25% in the drive train, 231 RWHP.

If you want higher hp numbers at the crank or rear wheels, you have to make more torque or you have to spin it higher.

Marine 6.5's can come rated to 400hp, so it is possible....just not inexpensively.

Still, with the .330" plunger pump, good free flowing turbo, there is already a recorded dyno at +300rwhp. So I do not see any reason that Mike's build will not be able to attain this. With that in mind, this +300rwhp will be accompanied by +450ftlbs @ the wheels also. That is one thing the apple, (or was it the orange) will not be able to do in the same ratio. Personally, I would prefer to have higher torque #'s, as this is what we feel most with our seat of the pants dyno's anyways.

Try not to be discouraged Mike, we all seem to be a little on edge these days. As best you can, continue with your build, I for one am still waiting patiently to hear it running and to see your dyno #'s. This year, I figure we will see 3 to 5 different 6.2/6.5L builds go over the 300rwhp.

There is one member on this site, whom I firmly believe was near 400rwhp, but never got on a dyno with it.

Yep, I thought it was +300rwhp and +450 ftlbs @ the wheels. You got to do it Mike, because as of yet, no Navistar built block has got there yet. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna start ordering some more shit here maybe this week, gotta find out specific details how the boss man is gonna keep me paid until I'm back on the payroll....

For now, I'm gonna start with the traditional bigger cross over, bigger down pipe, cko hx40 .. I got to get this thing done and together, lifted, lifted, tires, tranny mods which may include the lower first / second gear sets from TCI. Now if things don't go awry between now and finishing this thing, after those things are finished, I may try and make my own headers and have some ideas on turbo configurations... Just keeping my mind busy thinking till I get to that point.... ;)

Mike

Get er done......

Hopefully this week, we will have the confirmation on our IP pieces and necessary modifications....."6.2turbo" on this site has some real radical Stanadyne pump mods that we may experiment a little with. He is one that has done the 4 plunger mod to one of these pumps.

The keeping the mind busy is happening here all the time, we are physically doing this build and laying down plans and starting to line up parts for the next.... never a dull moment with the two of us. Woody35 is doing a lot of research on compounds right now, pretty interesting stuff, whole new avenue of exploration....LOL.

One thing I am curious to know, is 3.25l enough or each bank of the 6.5 have enough drive pressure to run a HE 351 VE per bank, and I'm curious to know if one of those fancy fleece controllers would run (2) 351 ve turbo's ????

My mind has been in motion all day...

Mike

Back