• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Missy goes full retro

Missy

Do you ever get down to the Albany area? Pick-A-Part here in Albany recently brought in a diesel Blazer, I think an 85. I grabbed a few parts off it for my pickup. I don't remember an in dash tach, but you should be able to get the fuel parts off it that you need and maybe other stuff.

Don

Welcome to TTS Don. I think 1981 was the last year for factory tachs, if not 1980. The 6.2L came out in 1982 if I remember right and never had a tach as an option.:mad2:

The diesels never did have tachs as an option, BUTTTTTTTTTTT it can be made to work with a little fooling around.

IIRC the speed sensor that was used on the Oil Pump drive of some 6.5 engines will provide a signal that will drive the tach.

I need to research that one a bit but somewhere in the recess's of my little brain I remember something about that trick.

Its really no biggy to have a factory tach but it would be kewl.

Waiting at times can pay off, for sure.

Missy

Last edited:
Some of the 6.2's had that sensor as well. My 91 Jimmy had it for the TCM. You can also Tap the alt I believe burt making it accurate I don't know.

mine has one of those sensors. I think it's just for the electronic tranny's. if you figure out how to make on work let us know. we're all curious.

Each cylinder that fires gives a pulse.
The older tachsm triggered off the ignition system primary side and there are 8 cylinders.

Now if you have a tach that triggers off the crank then it would depend on the number of cogs on the reluctor.

The 6.5 has 4 cogs in the reluctor.

The 6.5 runs the tach off the alternator.

Just depends on what the tach was designed to read.

The older GM factory in dash tachs were triggered from the ignition primary side so they get 4 pulses per revolution.

A standard V8 engine fires 4 cylinders every revolution.

Missy

Had to stop and think about that one for a bit.

The cam turns at 1/2 crank speed so the distributor takes two full crank revs to come full circle.

GM stopped the factory tachs in the 80's for the most part. I have read that they were available later but ????????/

I have not seen a cluster with the electric speedo and a tach so likely not worth a damned fool crusade trying to find one me thinks.

Missy

I have a lovely Autometer tach that was left from another project and it is one that runs off of a PICKUP device that clamps to the alternator.

Uses dip switches to calibrate.

This will work sweet with the diesel when I get that in the truck.

Just all sorts of options.

The tach thats in the Blazer is a PRO TACH not a Sun. Looks a lot like the Old Sun though.

Missy

While the cost is too high (IMHO) to buy this setup, is that classic Chevy dash really that difficult to make up a dash panel overlay from sheet aluminum & then replicate this effect w/ a dash-ful of Autometer?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCL-130-73-50041/?rtype=10

I've tried a few other gauge brands, always wind up back w/ Autometer. Not the cheapest, but they simply work well & look right.

The setup can be replicated easily by using the original plastic bucket that the factory gauges sit in and then as you mentioned using a sheet aluminum overlay.

I have seen two locally that were done in this fashion.

I have thought about it.

I have a couple old style dash assemblies on the shelf and have thought about doing this as a very sweet custom setup.

Now this said, my main focus is getting a diesel engine in the truck.

My dash is in great shape other than having had a custom stereo installed and then at some point in its life someone ripped it out (stolen) and damaged the area around the stereo a little bit. "few scratches"

I have all the gauges to do this sort of custom setup but my truck uses the electric speedo and I really dont want to deal with that mess right now.

Once the 6.2 is completely transplanted and purring like a kitten then I will explore other things.

One of my other MAYBE Projects is to swap the Axles from the 87 Burb to the Blazer as the Burb has 3.73 gears and the Blazer has 3.42's

The axles should swap right in with little bother.
I believe that the spring perches (rear axle) are the same on both rigs (distance apart)

One step at a time

Missy

Had to stop and think about that one for a bit.

The cam turns at 1/2 crank speed so the distributor takes two full crank revs to come full circle.

GM stopped the factory tachs in the 80's for the most part. I have read that they were available later but ????????/
I have not seen a cluster with the electric speedo and a tach so likely not worth a damned fool crusade trying to find one me thinks.

Missy

???? Dads '94 that I'm getting (someday) has a tach it, will one like that work??

OBS??????

Old Body Style, what he means is square body style.

Unofficially:
OBS: 1988-1998 GMT-400 truck platform. Not including the K5 Blazers, Suburbans and some 1-ton trucks from 1988-1991, the "square bodys".
NBS: 1999-2007 GMT-800 truck platform.
NNBS: 2007.5-Present GMT-900 truck platform.

Back