1. Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any options to delete the mechanical vacuum pump?

Discussion in 'GM 6.2 Diesels' started by turbovanman, May 20, 2008.

1. turbovanman

turbovanman I has boost, :O)

May 20, 2008
    Abbotsford
    On my 2nd one, crap rebuilds I guess. I was thinking of using a Ford electric unit and its a royal pain to replace the pump on my van.

2. Blueburby1

Blueburby1 New Member

May 10, 2008
    Toronto Area, ON, CA
    if you could find a dummy shaft, or build your own dummy shaft(what they use on gassers when they use coil packs), it should be possible....i would assume you would hook up an electric or belt driven unit, route it in to the system, and dummy shaft the vac pump hole...

3. Golddigger

Golddigger New Member

May 11, 2008
    Northern Utah
    Summit sells electric vacuum pumps for race cars and such.

4. D.Camilleri

D.Camilleri New Member

May 30, 2008
    Worland, Wyoming
    I think I still have a dummy shaft, it is required to drive the oil pump off of the cam gear, but it allows you to remove the vacuum pump. PM me if you are interested.

5. davo727

davo727 Member

May 28, 2008
    Cleveland, Texas
    What is the purpose of a vac pump on a 6.2 truck that has hydroboost brakes like a K30 and doesnt have a turbo so it isnt used for wastegate control? Is it just along for the ride?

6. Yachtcare

Yachtcare Recruit

May 5, 2008
    Probably found answer elsewhere by now, but just in case....On the '82-'87 vintage trucks, the Vac pump is necessary to run the AC/Heater vent doors. The later trucks use electric motors.

7. davo727

davo727 Member

May 28, 2008
    Cleveland, Texas
    OK , sounds good thanks. Im about to swap an 85 6.2 into a 92 dually cuz I dont want to spend the $ to rebuild the wore out 6.5 right now.

8. davo727

davo727 Member

May 28, 2008
    Cleveland, Texas
    We forgot about the turbo400 vacuum modulator valve, gotta have a vac source for that trans to work right.