• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Yet Another 599 Build Thread

Not sure who Tim is, but I got my rebuilt 4911 from DieselPro at DP for $320 shipped to my door with no core.

Oh yeah, I am HOPING the 4911 will give me what I want as far as fuel. I feel it may not be enough though. I guess i should focus on baby steps and get her running first.

Accurate Diesel. He was a vendor at DP before the takeover and subsequent major price hike on advertising. I have been trying to coax him over here but he said he has more work than he needs right now. Guys who do good work usually don't have to look for it,

Tim will likely get my business for new injectors, unless someone undercuts his price of roughly $300 w no core exch.

In other news, can anyone tell me whether the rubberized crank pulley was only implemented on serpentine drive setups, or did that start earlier with the v-belt models?

rubber bushing crank pullies came out in the 84 model year 6.2 and continued up through the 6.5 years. 82 and 83 trucks with the factory accessory drive will have a solidly mounted crank pulley.

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks guys.

It's interesting... the pulley from the '85 is definitely not rubberized, and I guess the dealership didn't upgrade it when they installed the crate motor in '99.

How do you determine whether a rubberized pulley has reached the end of it's service life? (Assuming it hasn't failed in any obvious way yet...)

Weekend Update

Whelp... after ordering new rings and a bunch of other parts from Northern, I got a call from the machine shop telling me that the 6.5 pistons I dropped off were probably not quite up to snuff for another several hundred thousand mile go-round. Sooo... now I'm back to square one, looks like I'll plunk down $400 clams for new 6.2 + .020 slugs, and send them out for surface treatments. At least I can deduct the cost of rings, as the Mahle piston set comes with the rings installed.

Ow, my wallet.

In other news, found a nice (mechanically, at least) '85 Sub to serve as transportation since this rebuild is taking so long. It's a 6.2NA / 700r4 / NP208 / 3.73 / 3/4t. In blue, of course. Paint has more orange peel than pigment.

Has a few little problems, but you could damn near eat off the engine. Runs and shifts well, and cruises at 70 no problem. What a difference from the TH400 with 4.10's. Wow.

1985 Suburban Diesel 4x4 34t SJ.jpg

Back