• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

wrecker needs a new jack

VW_Lupo_TD

Reaction score
here is what i suggested ( i can get this set at ~$200)

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-1533.html

otc-1533.gif

is this "enough" or does one need more than two tons ?

I agree, I'm thinking 3 or 3.5 ton range. I like the idea of light aluminum, but this is life or death we're talkin' here.

Either way an OTC jack and stands for $200. WOW hell of a deal.
That's what I thought too!

From looking at the jack 'FAIL' pic it looked like you guys were fighting the dreaded "gears no mesh anymore" battle. I'm familiar with that on those mainland China jacks. I have done some shimming and bending to get 'em to work but basically they become junk after a few years.

That's what I thought too!

From looking at the jack 'FAIL' pic it looked like you guys were fighting the dreaded "gears no mesh anymore" battle. I'm familiar with that on those mainland China jacks. I have done some shimming and bending to get 'em to work but basically they become junk after a few years.

That jack is about 18 yrs old and is suffering from bent hard parts, the little loop that holds the handle pin and actuates the cylinder is hogged/bent out and allows the pin to walk. Another reason that a 2 or 2 1/4 ton probably isn't big enough.

$200 is a great price for that jack and stands, I agree. I just want to buy once and hopefully get another 15-20 years out of my next one also.

OTC's are bout the best I have ever seen. PLus they used to have a good warrenty. Don't know bout lately though haven't looked at them in 3 years.

I don't know if they even make them anymore but I have a lincoln 3 ton floor jack It was about 350$ 20 yrs ago. It has a u joint now the star wheel and I would trust the jack with my life. 20 yrs later it works as the day I bought it and it has been well used. when it comes to jacks, What's your life worth ? Buy a good one. No chinese made crap. I had one before the lincoln and the side arms blew apart and nearly killed me. Always use good quailty stands as well. For the Bottle jack for my big rigs I have had a Blackhawk for about the same time period. Again works great.

IIRC, I have a 4 ton Sears Professional floor jack and it works well. It doesnt pull itself back down real well, but lifts my truck just fine.

I use 5 ton jack stands that I got an an airport auction. Heavty duty for sure.

I bought a Craftsman 3 ton the other day, it's served its purpose so far and was on sale for $79.

Glad I got a good deal! :D

Lifts my truck up just fine...

Back