• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Would you recommend a gm turbo and spend the money for it? if so why or why not

Slim Shady

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
Reaction score
Given what we know now about our trucks (THIS IS NOT A I LIKE THIS TURBO THREAD) strictly yes or no with an explanation of why you would or would not recommend a GM turbo. I personally would never go back to or have a gm turbo again on my truck. To restrictive and poor fuel economy given what I know now.

I wouldnt recommend a Gm turbo and although I have a near new GM8 sitting on a shelf It won't go back on my truck, Unless its for a comparison, I have the HX35 Hybrid now and its great, I like it as well as the CKO40, That being said I still wouldnt mind slapping one of yours on Brutus and heading up the Mountain

NEVER! Pure junk honestly, maybe good for twins or for a ride on lawn mower haha lol.

These turbos as a single just choke out the engine, holds it back from making real power

YES. But, only for those who are happy with the way the truck runs, don't care to experiment, don't have the skills or desires to fabricate/modify...in short, if they are happy with their truck and the turbo craps out, by all means, just replace the turbo with a GM X and be done with it.

Me, I'm going to run the ATT again as soon as the questions about the housing are settled.

I wouldnt recommend a Gm turbo and although I have a near new GM8 sitting on a shelf It won't go back on my truck, Unless its for a comparison, I have the HX35 Hybrid now and its great, I like it as well as the CKO40, That being said I still wouldnt mind slapping one of yours on Brutus and heading up the Mountain

NO mentioning turbos I thought that was clear :) I like the ATT turbo. THIS ISNT a turbo thread just a consensus thread. We will talk about the turbos maybe you can send 6.5l your turbo (NO NAME) when I send you MINE (NO NAME)

YES. But, only for those who are happy with the way the truck runs, don't care to experiment, don't have the skills or desires to fabricate/modify...in short, if they are happy with their truck and the turbo craps out, by all means, just replace the turbo with a GM X and be done with it.

Me, I'm going to run the ATT again as soon as the questions about the housing are settled.

Paul we need to talk, ( I can get you out a replacement housing), but also had another incident today, same thing we discussed before only worse. SHEEZ dug up the old emails, thinking I might have to post them to kill the controversy, not something I want to do.

That is what most don't understand, the way the truck feels so much different after removing the gm turbo.

Depends on the truck. If it was strictly a daily driver tht never towed, then yes I would put a GM-8 on it. If it towed though, or would see more than stock HP then no it would get an ATT or a HY-35.

Depends on the truck. If it was strictly a daily driver tht never towed, then yes I would put a GM-8 on it. If it towed though, or would see more than stock HP then no it would get an ATT or a HY-35.

I think that even a daily driver who doesn't tow would benefit from the reduced back pressure of another turbo, rather than the GM. I think the engine would live a lot longer without all the back pressure. Just my thoughts

DID GM make a 1500 series truck with a turbo and a 3:08 gear? That might be a candidate for the factory turbo.

DID GM make a 1500 series truck with a turbo and a 3:08 gear? That might be a candidate for the factory turbo.

I've seen a few in fleet ordered trucks, but never in a regular ordered truck. A good tune can help with the restrictive turbo by opening the wastegate up to drop boost at cruise, but there is only a small market for the GM turbos I believe.

I know the 6.5 2 door tahoe my dad had (then me) had 3.42 gears. with a stock turbo it was ok.

I would only recommend a gm turbo if the vehicle was only used for slow speed around town trips. no towing, just a grocery getter basicly.

I wouldn't put a GM turbo on my truck again. It runs so much better with the other turbo, even just around town. Would never recommend the stock turbo.

I would if they have no desire to improve or modify it and are happy with it as is. Other wise no I would recommend an up grade. The HX40WII or what ever it's called seems to be the best bang for buck at the moment. Otherwise HE351VE or VVT if they really wanna do sum fabing.

Rufen mir an. Du hast meine Telefonummer, richtig?

Motor should be ready to drop in the truck two weeks from Monday, 16 JUL 12 so it should be running by the end of the month.

Rufen mir an. Du hast meine Telefonummer, richtig?

Motor should be ready to drop in the truck two weeks from Monday, 16 JUL 12 so it should be running by the end of the month.

Yah ich habst ein telefon nummer.

Looking forward to seeing how it runs.

I'm not looking for an argument or a debate on the subject, so I will just say it depends.....

I've towed 35 feet of 8500 lb travel trailer from the west cost to the east through all the passes, winds and plains involved. Did just fine for speed and power on the gm8. One of the few pieces on the truck that hasn't given me trouble.

I'd also say I've pretty much found the upper hp limit on the gm8 in my truck. It's not as low as most people seem to think, even surprised me a bit.

I've now backed away from trying to squeeze every last HP out of the assembly. Life and goals change.

Chasing MPG.

The GM8 isn't as bad as most seem to think there also. Still working on that one and haven't found the limit there.

But it does require some time, work, understanding systems and cash expenditure .....the devil is in the details with these beasts......

But, for the price tag a new OEM replacement GM8 I will say there are better units for the money.

The Borg Warner EFR series comes to mind and I eventually plan to try one out.

But those are mucho deniero.

Much more than the average 6.5'er is willing to spend......

Back