• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Would someone explain to me

packratt

Reaction score
How in the (*(*& do you manage to break on of the wings the distributor cap screws to off of the distributor?

Was replacing plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on a truck with a 7.4 Vortec I just got. One of the bolts holding the coil bracket on was missing the other had the head mostly ground off, so the coil was bouncing up and down. Managed to get the coil off so I could reach the distributor cap. Removed the back screw front screw was missing. Installed the new rotor. Put cap on and tightened back screw, front screw wouldn't tighten. Dicked around with it for a good while trying to get screw to tighten. Finally removed new cap and got a flashlight so I could see the distributor. Find that the tab was missing.

A new MSD billet distributor is on order, cheaper than getting a new ACDelco.

Funny thing was the truck ran with the distributor cap only fastened on one side.

Any suggestions on how to get the EGR tube to unscrew from the fitting into the intake?

I've had several of those plastic distributors strip out or crack. One did it to me because the screws that came with the new cap were just a hair larger, and crack it went before the screw was even tight. It was not one of GM's finest hours, and happens OFTEN. Last I checked, the ebay xhina mart specials were the same as the expensive ones as msd was outsourcing them at one time(don't know if they still are or not).

Back