• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

would like to add another fuel filter

NCadam

Reaction score
I am looking to add another fuel filter to my truck what is a good one to use??? I have been thinking about using a walbo FRB 5 lift pump witch would help with the presure loss with adding another inlie filter. I cant have anything that hangs below the frame cause the truck is going to be on air ride once it gets warm enough for me to work on it for more than 30 min.... I would love to hear any sugestions you guys have on this

I have a racor that I haven't installed yet. There is a guy at the bay that always has them for sale. It is actually the manufacturer I believe. Tim (turbine doc) has some pics floating around here somewhere of his. He tapped in between tank and LP. That is what I am going to do. I just need to find some time and the location to do it.

Well if you check out PMDcable.com, Leroy has the special fittings that will adapt the fuel lines in-between the lift pump to diesel rated hose. From there you can run whatever you like. I have envisioned eventually adding a Nicktane Fuel filter on mine and being more than set with fuel filtration.

Just curious, why are you interested in adding another filter? Have you considered a FASS or Air Dog?

Can't remember who but someone has pics of theirs mounted to the battom of the cab with some thin steel on the top side to ad rigidity. Seems like Smithville or ChicagoTDP but I could be wrong.

Just curious, why are you interested in adding another filter? Have you considered a FASS or Air Dog?

dont know anything about them really, I know walbo is a good name i got lots of mowers with walbo carbs on them and the price tag is good on the FRB-5 I will take any input you guys have on the FASS or Air Dog LPs

I have a racor that I haven't installed yet. There is a guy at the bay that always has them for sale. It is actually the manufacturer I believe. Tim (turbine doc) has some pics floating around here somewhere of his. He tapped in between tank and LP. That is what I am going to do. I just need to find some time and the location to do it.

Have any part numbers on this?????

dont know anything about them really, I know walbo is a good name i got lots of mowers with walbo carbs on them and the price tag is good on the FRB-5 I will take any input you guys have on the FASS or Air Dog LPs

Well to be honest with you they a bit overkill for our trucks. Though seeing as you mention that when the 6.5 goes you dropping in a Cummins it might actually help you out should you plan to increase the power on the Cummins. That will obviously demand more fuel from the tank at higher RPM's so as a early precaution it might not be a bad idea to add a high GPH flowing fuel lift pump.

In a nutshell, both the "Air Dog" and "FASS" pumps are powerful, high flowing fuel lift pumps that incorporate an additional fuel filter in various micron ratings, a fuel / water separator, and a fuel / air separator. They can range from 90gph to something 150gph. Check out there websites and read up on them. Again there overkill for a 6.5, but for a bombed cummins they a good buy. Expensive, but a good buy.

on edit: here is a thread written by our Doghouse Diesel Performance Vendor, Rich. He did a great product review on the FASS and Air dog. And even mentions about those with "limited space" :thumbsup:

Well to be honest with you they a bit overkill for our trucks. Though seeing as you mention that when the 6.5 goes you dropping in a Cummins it might actually help you out should you plan to increase the power on the Cummins. That will obviously demand more fuel from the tank at higher RPM's so as a early precaution it might not be a bad idea to add a high GPH flowing fuel lift pump.

In a nutshell, both the "Air Dog" and "FASS" pumps are powerful, high flowing fuel lift pumps that incorporate an additional fuel filter in various micron ratings, a fuel / water separator, and a fuel / air separator. They can range from 90gph to something 150gph. Check out there websites and read up on them. Again there overkill for a 6.5, but for a bombed cummins they a good buy. Expensive, but a good buy.

on edit: here is a thread written by our Doghouse Diesel Performance Vendor, Rich. He did a great product review on the FASS and Air dog. And even mentions about those with "limited space" :thumbsup:

Thay sound great but i might have to saw off an arm and a leg to get one of them, not worth it for my 6.5.... im not gona do a cummins swap for a few years if i keep this truck that long

If anyone is intrusted i have one slightly used arm and leg for sale 500 or best offer!!!!

There are pics in my album of my Walbro install (stock LP location) & an aftermarket Racor fuel filter w/ 90 gph element (excess flow capability was intentional).

After recently adding some turbo parts pics, the LP & filter pics are now pushed to the album's 2nd page. The Racor filter is mounted/bolted thru holes in the driver's side, front under bed U-channel, just in front of the fuel filler hose. Tucks up in there nicely. The pic should give some idea of how far it extends down, in relation to the bottom of the bed sidewall contour. The black thing behind the filter is an 1/8" sheet steel gravel/road debris guard I made to help protect the clear plastic fuel bowl.

Walbro's specs claim 45 gph max (believe the stock LP specs are around 20 gph). Methinks if one has a 6.5 capable of using more fuel than the Walbro can reliably/cheaply provide - one has an exceptionally stout 6.5.

There are pics in my album of my Walbro install (stock LP location) & an aftermarket Racor fuel filter w/ 90 gph element (excess flow capability was intentional).

After recently adding some turbo parts pics, the LP & filter pics are now pushed to the album's 2nd page. The Racor filter is mounted/bolted thru holes in the driver's side, front under bed U-channel, just in front of the fuel filler hose. Tucks up in there nicely. The pic should give some idea of how far it extends down, in relation to the bottom of the bed sidewall contour. The black thing behind the filter is an 1/8" sheet steel gravel/road debris guard I made to help protect the clear plastic fuel bowl.

Walbro's specs claim 45 gph max (believe the stock LP specs are around 20 gph). Methinks if one has a 6.5 capable of using more fuel than the Walbro can reliably/cheaply provide - one has an exceptionally stout 6.5.

nice pics thanks!!!! did that holset have a divider in the exhaust housing? I have a hx35 that has the divider that i wish was not there

How dirty of fuel do you plan on putting in the tank?

I can see the desire to put a bigger LP in, but more filtration is a waste IMO. The stock filter is just fine... No one I have seen has said "dang my truck wouldn't have blown up if I had cleaner fuel!" LOL

For your current setup a stock LP is just fine. Chip it then think about a better LP.

nice pics thanks!!!! did that holset have a divider in the exhaust housing? I have a hx35 that has the divider that i wish was not there

The Holset HE351ve turbine housing & 6.7 Dodge/Cummins manifold have a unique flange - not T3 or T4. Housing isn't divided originally. Guess they didn't see the need/benefit when they vary the turbine volute via VGT.

Relating to adding upstream filtration, most all heavier duty diesels utilize 2-stage fuel filtration - and have for several decades now. The OEM engineers of those setups thought it was a worthwhile idea. Certainly not necessary on these trucks. But I don't think one could say it couldn't be beneficial.

While I haven't run across a bad fuel fill very often, I can tell you my setup (including fuel pressure gauge to detect filter restriction is changing) adds probability my truck will make it home where any filter maintenance in a nice warm/dry shop is far more pleasant than a roadside fix.

Last edited:

I can see the desire to put a bigger LP in, but more filtration is a waste IMO. The stock filter is just fine... No one I have seen has said "dang my truck wouldn't have blown up if I had cleaner fuel!" LOL

For your current setup a stock LP is just fine. Chip it then think about a better LP.

No but I have seen a few lift pumps die early :D which is why i added extra filter. plus the 10 micron as a primary filters the big stuff that would clog the 5 micron earlier so you lose power on a partly clogged filter,

the racor is physically larger as well and it will hold more of the big stuff alone letting only the small stuff to be managed by the 5 micron,

ideally you'd have a 20 or 30 before the 10 and a 2 micron after the 5 for fully tiered defensive strategy, over-kill but best way to really keep system up to par.

I've got almost 3 years on the on engine 5 micron, 10 micron pre-filter racor maybe 40-50K miles ? monitored with press gage in cab & vac switch for monitoring for high filter DP.

No but I have seen a few lift pumps die early :D which is why i added extra filter. plus the 10 micron as a primary filters the big stuff that would clog the 5 micron earlier so you lose power on a partly clogged filter,

the racor is physically larger as well and it will hold more of the big stuff alone letting only the small stuff to be managed by the 5 micron,

ideally you'd have a 20 or 30 before the 10 and a 2 micron after the 5 for fully tiered defensive strategy, over-kill but best way to really keep system up to par.

I agree, especially about saving the lift pump.

All that i have to say is that more filtration sure isnt a bad idea. Ill try almost anything to get more life out of these damn DB4 pumps. Cant say i have ever seen anything to back this up, but i would imagine cleaner fuel can prolong the life of the pump. I know this is true with the lift pumps, so i cant see the IP being that much different. Just my opinion.

And as for a filter, ive been running a racor 490R12 with the walbro LP. I mounted it right in front of the rear tire on one of the bed crossmembers. It is a tall unit so you need a bit of room to mount it. It is deff not a clearence issue where i have it mounted. There is a place on ebay that sells refurbished units for very cheap "pbtt warehouse" or something like that

Id suggest doing the FTB mod too while youre at it. My write up on the FTB, Walbro and pre-LP filter IS HERE

Walking J Designs sells some good fittings to do FTB mod, steel IP fitting, steel elbow out the IP. I could not find steel fitting for the IP anywhere else. I didnt use any elbows since I also raised my filter manager from out of the engine valley.

Oh and I got a long filter, you can get them half the height and it will easily fit above the rail.

Last edited:
By the time you add up the Walbro, Racor, and necessary parts to make the install work, the FASS/Airdog isn't really much more money for the kit, and it is a superior product.

If funds allow, I would go the Airdog route with the adjustable pressure regulator. You would ALWAYS have 12psi constant, or whatever you wanted. Most walbro users only get 1/2 of the rated 10psi to the IP.

If you had the Airdog, you could up the pressure so that after going through the flt mgr, you would still have 10+ to the IP, which isn't going to happen with a walbro.

Not to mention the claim to remove air molecules from the fuel, not sure what the gain is there, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

COmpare prices, when all is said and done, the airdog kit isn't much more.

Back