• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Working on a "next-level" fuel system

Fast foreward to 5:00
Ohhhhhh, the suction tube. I re-read your original post and now I get it. I thought you were seeing a single piece that incorporated all of the fuel functions in one piece. You were suggesting multiple suction tubes in multiple sizes appropriate for their use be added to the fuel tank. Got it now. I was having a dense moment.

Does a banjo fitting have a smoother internal flow than a 90 degree fitting?
In order of best to worse, cobra head which FORD tinkered with for fuel delivery, smooth radius AN w/PTFT Teflon coating, smooth radius AN, banjo and dead last the right angle 90 degree.

The article I has posted earlier about fuel delivery line sizing made the point of showing at the end of the article what fittings not to use.

So I received the Fass fuel pressure regulator today and since the directions said that you could flow the fuel either way through it but the fuel pressure gauge port was on one particular side I called Fass to see what was up because I would think if you ran the supply side where the gauge port was you would get a supply side reading and not the regulated pressure side going to the IP. So I spoke to one of their tech support guys and he wasn't sure at first about my question and then I told him how I was intending on using it and he said that it would not regulate pressure down that it would only allow me to raise the pressure. So I'm still a little baffled but I guess I'll return it to where I bought it from and try and figure out a different regulator to use. I'm still trying to get with Mel @ Conestoga to figure out what level of IP to get along with the fuel supply pressure calibration so I can try to figure out which components to use in my fuel system. Here is a link to the Fass FPR-1001 FPR instructions.

https://fassride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Fuel-Pressure-Regulator.pdf

So I received the Fass fuel pressure regulator today and since the directions said that you could flow the fuel either way through it but the fuel pressure gauge port was on one particular side I called Fass to see what was up because I would think if you ran the supply side where the gauge port was you would get a supply side reading and not the regulated pressure side going to the IP. So I spoke to one of their tech support guys and he wasn't sure at first about my question and then I told him how I was intending on using it and he said that it would not regulate pressure down that it would only allow me to raise the pressure. So I'm still a little baffled but I guess I'll return it to where I bought it from and try and figure out a different regulator to use. I'm still trying to get with Mel @ Conestoga to figure out what level of IP to get along with the fuel supply pressure calibration so I can try to figure out which components to use in my fuel system. Here is a link to the Fass FPR-1001 FPR instructions.

https://fassride.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Fuel-Pressure-Regulator.pdf
That doesn't make any sense. It sounds like your last conversation with them was difficult too. I believe ratman called Fuelab and had good conversations with them. That coupled with the quality of the demo video you shared with us makes me think they are a more worthy manufacturer to work with.

Yea, I did speak with someone at Fass before I ordered it (the FPR) and they never said anything like that. I was trying to see if let's say the regulator was set @ 10lbs and then it saw 25lbs boost reference how much would it raise the pressure but they said they couldn't tell me due to variations in each fuel system. Here is some technical info on the FueLab 515 series FPRs. Check out #8 in the NOTES section, it says the boost reference ratio is 1:1, would that equate to 25lbs of fuel pressure with 25lbs of boost pressure? What if the FPR was set @ 10lbs and then it saw 25lbs of boost would it go to 35lbs? I'm sure there are a few variables here one being the ability of the lift pump I'm sure. FYI the FASS replacement series pumps like some have used here will automatically bypass @ 18lbs (some may be set to 9 lbs) per the FASS tech on the phone.

http://fuelab.com//wp-content/uploads/2012/10/105020100-Regulator.pdf

Yea, I did speak with someone at Fass before I ordered it (the FPR) and they never said anything like that. I was trying to see if let's say the regulator was set @ 10lbs and then it saw 25lbs boost reference how much would it raise the pressure but they said they couldn't tell me due to variations in each fuel system. Here is some technical info on the FueLab 515 series FPRs. Check out #8 in the NOTES section, it says the boost reference ratio is 1:1, would that equate to 25lbs of fuel pressure with 25lbs of boost pressure? What if the FPR was set @ 10lbs and then it saw 25lbs of boost would it go to 35lbs? I'm sure there are a few variables here one being the ability of the lift pump I'm sure. FYI the FASS replacement series pumps like some have used here will automatically bypass @ 18lbs (some may be set to 9 lbs) per the FASS tech on the phone.

I suspect fuel return plays a big role in how that pressure rises 'pump big volume and same sized return must become and issue at some point.'

The 1:1 answer makes much more sense. Yes, it's based on the pump's ability to make that much pressure, but until it gets to that pressure it's 1:1. Makes sense.

I saw that some of the FASS pumps bypassed at 18psi, but I didn't know all of them did. I guess that rules those out. Thanks for the info!

I suspect fuel return plays a big role in how that pressure rises 'pump big volume and same sized return must become and issue at some point.'
That's true, but that's easy to explain. All they need to state is that with properly sized lines, it will increase pressure at 1:1 ratio.

The 1:1 answer makes much more sense. Yes, it's based on the pump's ability to make that much pressure, but until it gets to that pressure it's 1:1. Makes sense.

I saw that some of the FASS pumps bypassed at 18psi, but I didn't know all of them did. I guess that rules those out. Thanks for the info!

Here are the three types that Fass has, the first link is for the replacement series, these are the ones that bypass at 9 or 18 lbs.
I'm not sure on the other two types. I know I don't have the room for the Titanium series, I need to get the specs on the adjustable ones.

http://www.fassfuelpumps.com/shop-by-products/direct-replacement-pumps/

http://www.fassfuelpumps.com/shop-by-products/adjustable-fuel-pumps/

http://www.fassfuelpumps.com/shop-by-products/titanium-series-pumps/

Back