• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Won't shift into Park

NVW

Reaction score
Yesterday when I would put my 95 in the park position it wouldn't lock and the indicator light didn't light the "P". Then it worked again for awhile and now it doesn't.

Is there an adjustment on the cable or the shift lever? I an tempted to bend the cable holder a bit on the trans to see if that does it.

Chances are you need a shift cable. There is a bushing in the end of the cable that holds it onto the shift arm. Over time it breaks apart and gets loose, then you don't go into park when you push it all the way up. There is an adjustment in the cable, I think it is under the carpet in a 95.

Finally took the time to look, there is a plastic tube where the cable is attached to the transmission bracket that is broken. So the cable can bend instead of pushing it into park.

I think I'll take a piece of air line that will fit over it and cable tie it in place. See how that works anyway.

Back