• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wiper Pulse board

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Lost everything but high on my 93. got a new pulse board from Advance (Help!)brand. Was working for a few days and blew the big diode apart again. Defective new board or is something wrong with the motor ? I'm sure the board is made in China crap but two in a row blowing the big diode apart ??

Why replace it... usually, you can fix those, Kenny - the cold-solder joints let go. Unless yours had a different issue?

I almost always replace electronic stuff with GM Genuine.. even if it's auto-wrecker issue. I just haven't had great luck with aftermarket OPS, etc.

Both boards the diode exploded. I could not figure out what the value of it was to attempt to replace it. That is making me wonder if something is wrong with the motor sending some sort of spike back through it ??

I broke my wiper motor when I did my engine swap, but it wasn't much money back then for the whole wiper motor with board assembly.

The motor would send a spike when you turn it off. The park switch is supposed to short the motor and stop it quickly to park the wipers in the proper place - otherwise they coast 1/2" or more up on the windshield. This spike would not have enough current to fry a diode that big.

Now if the motor is shorting out the diode could be inline with it's normal 12v power and blowing up because of high motor current. Short means excess high current due to windings shorted or short to ground in the motor. Trace the power into the motor and see if it all goes through that big diode - then you will know.

The entire wiper motor is not too bad to change the hard part being lining the motor up with the old one to park the wipers in the proper spot. They do not have a index on the motor splines...

I have never had any luck rebuilding those pulse boards.

I will try again when the current one goes south.

That is a good idea on the wrecking yard! :thumbsup:

I replaced the diode in my 99 becasue it broke/blew when the wipers were frozen to the windshield. I would be willing to bet that the motor is fried and overloading it.

Well, I got one from the junky and changed it. I took the old one apart and the diode lead was broken at the PCB but the diode was not blow. WTF ? I'll take a pic. Does anyone know the value of the diode ? I could not get any usable #'s off it.

What is the fuse for the wiper motor? Look for a diode with that 12V rating and 300v reverse breakdown should be safe.

I would just re-solder the crack or repair the current diode if it tests ok. I have had good luck repairing cracked joints on these wipers so far. 1993 and the well known TSB 1995's. My 1995 I even had to put a wire in to patch a burned out trace.

Wonder what kills them ? Poor PCB or the vibration of being on the motor..Mayeb we need a remote Pulse board to mount next to the PMD....:rof:

What all does it take to pull the wiper motor completely? I'm thinking about hitting the junkyard if I get a nice day and a helper. Just it case there's something else wrong.

The wiper motor does make a noise on the occassions it does not work. Would this indicate the pulse board or possibly a different issue?

I can't believe the women have dealt with this since the end of October. I'd rather they have taken it and got it fixed.

Back