• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

why so many 6.5's

bigb

Recruit
Reaction score
This is not a complaint, but merely an observation. It seems that the majority of the posts on this site in general are related to the GM 6.5L motor. Is the 6.5 developing some sort of cult following? I don't see alot of the 6.5 motors around my area and was jsut wondering why all of the interest. By no means is this a complaint about all of the discussion, just an observation that I didn't realize there was this much interest.

I think what you are seeing is a comradery (SP?) that has developed in the absence of any real supports or general understanding of our trucks by those who don't run them. To many the 6.5 has been labelled a POS, but as you can see, there are many of us who are quite proud of our trucks. We are supportive of each other, don't have ego's that our trucks are the best ever, but none the less, we love our trucks. There are not a lot of supports and performance parts readily available, so this is one way we get a chance to follow those things up by those who have and use and sell them. We have very innovative and techincally brilliant members who provide great support to us who are less knowledgeable. As a whole, the group of 6.5ers on this site are down to earth guys who have older trucks and intend on it staying that way. We provide each other with tech info etc that allows us to maintain our vehicles with huge repair bills. Hope that say it!:thumbsup:

Yes and we are having lost of fun....And that keeps us in good Humour, Young & "Heathy"...for our selves & our Trucks... Where ever we are... :grouphug:

This is not a complaint, but merely an observation. It seems that the majority of the posts on this site in general are related to the GM 6.5L motor. Is the 6.5 developing some sort of cult following? I don't see alot of the 6.5 motors around my area and was jsut wondering why all of the interest. By no means is this a complaint about all of the discussion, just an observation that I didn't realize there was this much interest.

That is because the 6.5 family is just that, a family; not many web sites cater to the 6.5, so we sort of created our own home here because our old home was stolen/sold out from under us. The 6.5 has come into it's own like a vintage wine, at 1st there wasn't much in way of performance options, as we leverage what works on other engines/brands we are getting some healthy performance & power gains from the venerable 6.5, treated properly the $$$ to get a strong truck with 20+ mpg possibility makes the 6.5 a perfect way for Joe Average with a tight wallet to get into Diesels.

The other site had as much traffic as the other sites DMAX forums, collectively, but since many have DMAX now and that is where the bucks are to be made selling to that crowd there are many Dmax sites, as are Ford & Cummins sites.

AFIK this is only quality site that caters to all brands hence DTR, most here are GM afficinados but what we have attempted to do is make a Diesel Towing Resource site, that isn't brand or engine specific.

Site has only been up and running since May/June this year, and what you will find in other forums (drama/and one brand only smack talk) is discouraged, this sites goal is to assist any & all with a need for quality information regardless of brand/vintage, human nature being what it is, there will on occasion be the "passionate discussion" and charter of the staff here is to keep things civil.

Us 6.5ers banded together a long time ago with one thing in mind to provide quality information and help others with the most maligned engine out there, well that is beside the 5.7 GM Diesel.

We would love to see you spread the word and get the other GM engines and other mfr numbers up as well, but to where we are from we have been in 6 mos. time is impressive.

Oh and let me pass this on to you; the 6.5ers "rubber neck curse" if it is GM and has 2 square holes in bumper you can fit your foot into when working on the engine, 99% of the time it will have a 6.5 in it, knowing that; you will now be rubbernecking for those holes like the rest of us 6.5ers do, you will be surprised at the number of them still on the road.

Oh and let me pass this on to you; the 6.5ers "rubber neck curse" if it is GM and has 2 square holes in bumper you can fit your foot into when working on the engine, 99% of the time it will have a 6.5 in it, knowing that; you will now be rubbernecking for those holes like the rest of us 6.5ers do, you will be surprised at the number of them still on the road.

That's funny TD, I have been 6.5 rubbernecking since 1992!!!

I always wondered if any other 6.5'ers out there did the same thing?):h

I guess now I know. Maybe we should develop a "secret" 6.5 hand-shake or wave (kinda like the Harley riders have) for on-road acknowledgement of each other...:wiggle:

Regards,

Maybe just the fact that we know what the holes in the bumper are for should qualify someone for membership. After all the sport models of the same year trucks used the same front bumper although body colored and had fog lights mounted in them.

6.5 TD let me count the ways to Enjoy a diesel.

1. Well first my 6.5 has the power I need to do my work. :smile5:
2. Pulls a trailer with much better MPG than my gasser. ):h
3. It is probably the most inexpensive diesel to own. The parts are definitely cheaper but the labor is on me because there aren’t many shops that have mechanics that understand the engine. There for this site.:thumbsup:
4. The price of my truck was right. I bought it 2 years ago for $2500.00.:smile5: your not going to get in to a Dmax or Ford for that.:shocked:
5. In the last 2 years I have only had to put about $350.00 into it to keep it on the road. That’s other repairs Besides regular maintenance. I did lose $400.00 to the stealership :slap: prior to finding this site and the place Though. I was lucky others have been taken for a lot more going that route. :cussing:
6. Upgrades and performance mods are easy and don’t seem to cost as much as the newer models either. I have chosen to spend more on my truck in preventive upgrades too. :shocked1:
7. NO monthly payment!!!! If that doesn’t excite ya nothing will. :poke:

I love my truck. :love: While the other guys at the coffee shop are talking about their payments and expenses :eek:uch: I just kinda sit back and smile :D.

Maybe we should develop a "secret" 6.5 hand-shake or wave (kinda like the Harley riders have) for on-road acknowledgement of each other...:wiggle:

What about both fists raised to symbolize the holes in the bumper?

On second thought, maybe we should keep at least one hand on the wheel...:mad2:

But seriously, one reason there are so many more 6.5 posts is because we have one forum for all 6.5's and performance. The Duramax is spread through four seprate engine forums, then multiple different performance forums.

So true...Besides DMax was/is not availible in 1/2ton or passenger class SUV to my knowledge so if you want a Suburban,Tahoe or 2 door Tahoe Yukon Blazer etc...6.5 is all there is besides the Excursion with it's Titanic size and hefty price tag..

>the 6.5 a perfect way for Joe Average with a tight wallet to get into Diesels.<

We need to change that to Joe The Plumber ;)

x2 group hug.

If it were not for the 6.5 people and community I would be bankrupt sending these trucks to the shop... The same shops that have no clue on how to work on them either.

Good people and good information are to be had at DTR.

All this talk of our beloved 6.5's...startin to bring a tear to my eye.

I also keep an eye out for the trucks with the nostrils hahaha like others do.

I really love my truck. I'm actually in the process of letting my air filter soak, so I gotta go and finish the job. :smile5::thumbsup:

Thats funny that the "Rubber Necking" be brought up now. Its become a game in my truck with my boys to see who can spot the most "diesels" when they are with me.

And though my wife would never openly admit it, she plays too! :thumbsup:

I had never noticed the destiguished bumper holes until I owned one myself. And I have to say, there are a lot of them still out there.

Back