• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Why break lifters?

valyidol

Reaction score
Well. Some time ago my friend asked me about help. His 6.5 diesel worked very unevenly, smocked and shots into exhaust pipe. When I removed rocker arms I saw a few broked roller lifters. OK. I installed the new lifters kit.
One week ago hi called me again. Shots into exhaust pipe. OK. I reassambled valve covers again. The few broked lifters. Why?!
I removed head. Rocker arms, push rods, springs, valves everything was OK. I removed chain cover. And I saw it:
What do you think about it?

Look at camshaft. Broke lifters can score up lobe on camshaft. This the same engine that broke lifters before?

The "clearence" is a torn grommet, gasket. Not normal. Replace grommet/gasket.

Check keyways for chain. My project truck had extreme slop and was hammering the exaust valve tips. I had to replace all exaust valves as the tips were flaking metal.

Sorry, I did not understand everything. Are you talking about what gasket? What is the relationship between the gasket and the hole of rocker arm? Are you talking about keyways on the camshaft?

Sorry, I did not understand everything. Are you talking about what gasket? What is the relationship between the gasket and the hole of rocker arm? Are you talking about keyways on the camshaft?

Check the lobes on camshaft for scoring. Broken lifters can ruin the camshaft.

Check the keyways on the chain sprockets. Crankshaft and camshaft. I think you did when you changed the chain.

Loose chain can hammer the valve train. My project truck had a loose keyway. The "slop" hammered the exhaust valve tips. Due to bad chain I had to replace all the exhaust valves. So, yes, loose chain can ruin things.

Have a look at the loose chain and bad valve tips: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/1992-6-5td-rescue.44332/page-2#post-505147

IMG_9043.JPG IMG_9046.JPG Thanks! Now I understand all. The lifters did not break, they opened. In one of them the push drowned.
The camshaft was not damaged. I checked all the keywais. I changed the sprocket with the chain. Some exhaust valves are hammered a little. But the height has not changed. I polished them.

Back