• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who has the best chip?

On the Hypertech chip. I have one and it plain sucks. The stock chip was better. Not in the current truck but in another. My current has the HT and I am about to replace the heads for the third time. I sure wish these things would get cheaper. It sure would make it easier to replace the bad ones.

You're saying that the HT chip is responsible for needing to replace your heads? For the third time?

Not sure about the reasoning behind this thought; does the HT chip push your EGTs through the roof? If it's over-fuelling, I might look to the TM or the turbo first, to increase the airflow.

In any case, if it's true that the HT chip is costing you a third set of heads, I would think that would easily justify the cost of replacing it. At any normal price.

You're saying that the HT chip is responsible for needing to replace your heads? For the third time?

Not sure about the reasoning behind this thought; does the HT chip push your EGTs through the roof? If it's over-fuelling, I might look to the TM or the turbo first, to increase the airflow.

In any case, if it's true that the HT chip is costing you a third set of heads, I would think that would easily justify the cost of replacing it. At any normal price.

I ran a hypertech for less than 500 miles, and it took out my head gaskets on the first road trip I took. They were known for running some SCARY timing curves in there chips that made for some INSANE cylinder pressures.

As for shift points....I have installed,,, B&M Shift improver plus,,on the last 2 trucks that I owned. There is a 3 position rocker switch for 3 settings. 1 is stock, 2 is a little firmer, and 3 is quit a bit firmer. IIRC it bumps the pressure settings inside. It is very easy to install two wires clipped into the harness at the ecm and stick the switch somewhere......

I'm not saying the HT chip caused the head issues. But they are cracking bad enough to cause coolant leaks. EGT's do run a bit high. As for the TM, it is only set to 2psi at cruise. That was at sea level and now that I am at 2280' it will cruise at close to 1psi. As for the chip replacement I tried to get a KOJO chip locally but the retailer didn't want the business when I had the money. I will try again when I get taxes back, hopefully.

As Ferm mentioned: timing.

Bad bad bad things happen if you don't know what you're doing or follow a causal "rule of thumb" for diesel timing......much worse then over fuelling.

And the OEM heads are known to be weak/susceptible in the valve bridge area where the water hides.

Never did really figure out conclusively why it's so prevalent in these specific engines. Lots of other heads have thinner bridge areas and deal with the same forces involved. All I can really figure is metallurgical deficiencies in the OEM design and mass production castings.

Or I guess it could be owner abuse trying to get more work out of it than it was designed for in the first place...

My customer had an SS Diesel aka Westers chip in his 98 dually, ran pretty good but then it started tripping the CEL light, traced it to a bad computer, they replaced it for free but the new computer just didn't have as much power as the old one, seemed to sign off at 10 psi, I called Westers and he said he had to scale it back so the engines would last. Bought a Heath Tow ECM and we haven't looked back. Might look at something else when I put the HX40 on.

Back