• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which year cummins engine ???

Where are the engine id #s and how can I tell what type of inj. pump is on it?

Take a look at the pic I attatched......

The red circle is the engine ID tag, looks like it's covered with goo, but it's there on the side of the gear case. The white circle is the injection pump, and this one IS the desirable Bosch P7100 pump.

The P7100 was an inline pump, in other words, all the pumping plungers were inline. The 89-93 B series cummins pump, the Bosch VE pump, was a rotary style pump and looked a little like a DB2 or DS4 as far as the way the injector lines went on the pump.

It looks like you've got a winner here, better snatch it up before someone else does. I am in savannah and have a car trailer if you need some help, just let me know.

Attachments

• 95%20cummins%205.jpg
    95%20cummins%205.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 3
BTW I thanks for the offer I have a trailer. What redneck down here doesn't have some kinda trailer.

True.......

Should I stay away from this block? And if so I'm guessing that's part of the engine ID #s.

This IS NOT a "53" block. The 53's were used from late 98-01. The block in this truck should be good to go, at least as far as it isn't a 53, so no "factory casting problems" on this block.

The "53" comes from a casting number on the side of the block and is used to identify the problem blocks. Supposedly it affects about 100,000 blocks, but not only in Dodge Rams. The 53 block was also used in medium duty trucks from different manufacturers, mobile homes, public school buses and mass transportation buses.

Brazilian Blocks are cast by a company named "TUPY" and are marked such. They are identified with cast evolution numbers. #53's are TUPY's. #54 and later evolutions were improved to correct the block issues that the 53's had.

How Do I Find out?
If you want to see if your engine block could be one of these dreaded "53" blocks, crawl under the front, left side, and look up at the block on the front, directly under the injector pump (by the PS pump). You should see a large wiring harness mounted to the block. Directly below this, just above where the oil pan meets the block you will look for a "53" cast in the block. The numbers will be about 1 inch tall.

What Happens?
A crack develops on the right side of the engine, below the freeze plugs, right where the block bends back towards the inside of the block. It is a difficult area to see for auto transmission owners as it is directly behind the transmission heat exchanger. At first everything evaporates so there is no spot under the truck, but you may notice a coolant odor. The leak doesn't occur at idle in most cases because the crack is tight to get through, and doesn't leak until the RPMs of the engine are up, with the water pump causing higher pressure inside the engine block due to the restriction of the thermostat.

Attachments

• 539we9.jpg
    539we9.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
True.......

The 53's were used from late 98-01. The block in this truck should be good to go, at least as far as it isn't a 53, so no "factory casting problems" on this block.
from the Diesel Garage article I posted.
Update: Recent information I have received from a 1998 12v owner says that some late 12v engines have "53" blocks. This owner knows because he HAS one. His truck has a build date of 11-97. He did say, however, that he has had no problems with his block, regularly pulling heavy trailers in the Rocky Mountains.

I think you made a good choice anyway. Optimizer engine might just be our "bulletproof" option, or I guess a P400 would be, but thats not really a passenger truck engine.

I'm loving the optimizer so far. I have a metric sh*t ton of pics I need to post. The A/C has a major leak somewhere, but it's gonna be getting cool soon, so I'm not worried about it until the spring.

Besides, with the AFE and 4" exhaust, I can hear the turbo singing driving down the road. I need to get a tune for her. I'll be talking to either you or Heath about that here in the near future.

Back