• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which donor truck for transmission swap - 4L80E for NV4500?

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
Since I'm starting to get the itch again, I've been looking for another donor truck for my '95. I originally had purchased an identical chassis/year for the swap, but I'm wondering how important that is. I'm still leaning toward finding a '95 if I go through with this, but what sort of issues would I come across if I ended up with a '96 model, instead? Computer is different, but am I looking at a harness change, also?

95 is a 1 year only in MANY ways. Yes, the harness's are different, cluster is 1 year only, most of the engine harnesses are 1 year only(but close to the harness for 94, just with the underhood fuse box by the abs instead of the strip of fusible links and fuses by the accumulator), different abs control board, and so much more. 95 is obd1 and 96 is obd2, most anything electrical was changed. I'm sure you already know about the entire accessory drive change on the engine. I'm sure there's alot of parts you could interchange and make things work, but then you start getting into 1 of a kind custom territory, and that's not a fun place to be a thousand miles from home broke down.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll stick with a '95 for '95 and, most likely, truck for truck, like I had originally intended.

Back