• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which ATV?

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would hear more about the Polaris Sportsman 800. I hear that they ride better than the Kawasaki's, Honda's and Yamaha's. I guess the Polaris 800 EFI 2up is equal to the Can-AM 800 Max XTs. Not even 1 member mentioned Suzuki! I have been to a few places, and going to a few more before I buy. If you can afford it, now is a good time to be buying.

Thanks, probably why no one mentioned Suzuki. ;)

Well let me chime in here, I have a 2000 Suzuki King Quad (300) 4X4. It has all kinds of gears (15 forward speeds) and the differential lock that locks all 4 wheels in at once. Yes they all four will turn together and you better be ready because its going to climb up something. I have had the front end off the ground (climbing over terrain) some many times its not funny. The reason I got one with such a gear selection was to be able to gear it down going down steep places. Some of those so called automatic ATV's would run away going down a hill. Other words the transmission or motor would not hold it back. Today though I think alot of the ATV's have improved in that area with engine braking and better transmissions that hold back. I will tell you that my ATV is not the fastest nor most powerful ATV but that sucker has never failed to take me where I tried to go. Its not the biggest or the tallest, but i like a low center of gravity when riding on steep terrain. With my ATV being smaller I can go between trees and obstacles in places where bigger ones could not go. It has flexible fender flares on it and I seen them pushed in before when I squeezed between two trees. I have been back in these mountains on muddy trails in places and shake my head, thinking I was an idiot for going there. I have a buddy that has a Suzuki Quad runner 500 and its been a good one too. As far as fuel mileage I can get better fuel mileage than him due to mine is a smaller displacement. For what I use my ATV for right now (trail riding and some farm use) it is all I need. Yea, I'D like to have a more powerful ATV but thats kind of wanting to drive a new truck all the time. Top speed is not anything that I am worried about right now. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you got. If I was getting a new ATV right now I would probably look into a Honda Rincon, Rubicon and Foreman. One of them has a transmission like a car has, with the torque converter, not sure which one. I would also want the independent suspension. Some of thses Honda guys could probably tell you which one is better. I have also heard that the Honda Foreman is a good ATV. ATV's are like anything else, they make all kinds of them to suit people with different personalities just like they make different guns and trucks. Each person has their favorite and to them its the best and it works for them.

Thanks for your input BigR. I agree with you. I am still looking. I just want a good TROUBLE FREE ATV. I really do not want to go 60mph, I want a good cruiser type ATV that I can take anywhere.

Thanks for your input BigR. I agree with you. I am still looking. I just want a good TROUBLE FREE ATV. I really do not want to go 60mph, I want a good cruiser type ATV that I can take anywhere.

Look at the smaller ones then like the Grizz 550....or smaller yet. I would say Honda or Yamaha ...you really can't go wrong.

If I was getting a new ATV right now I would probably look into a Honda Rincon, Rubicon and Foreman. One of them has a transmission like a car has, with the torque converter, not sure which one. I would also want the independent suspension.

Honda Rincon

Honda Rincon

Look at the smaller ones then like the Grizz 550....or smaller yet. I would say Honda or Yamaha ...you really can't go wrong.

Honda Rincon

:D

Last edited:
I'll kick in a couple of cents. I bought the can am 400 xt. 07
It has been problem free. rides very nice compared to the cat. My friend has the 400 artic cat,
and its is a stiffer ride.
the front axle locks up as soon as slippage occurs. no stopping to throw the lock lever (not the 4x4 switch but the axle lock)
they seem to be more expensive than the rest on initial purchase tho.
the new 400 is fuel injection. 3 yrs warranty. I topped it out down road at 58 mph.
I would buy another one.
The one complaint is ground clearance. Its a little shy but larger tires will give it some more.
they all make a good product these days.

Originally Posted by RI Chevy Silveradoman View Post

I have to agree with blksmoke on this one. It just does not get more dependable than a honda. My second choice in this dept would be a yamaha or can-am. Those seem to be holding up very well down here but the hondas will always get you back home.

I have to agree with blksmoke on this one. It just does not get more dependable than a honda. My second choice in this dept would be a yamaha or can-am. Those seem to be holding up very well down here but the hondas will always get you back home.

It's ok, you can admit Yamahas are good....I already admitted that Hondas were good and I'm a Yamaha guy. :D I wouldn't buy anything but those 2 brands personally. Never owned a Honda but I know they make quality stuff. So does Yamaha...they haven't let us down just like your Hondas.:thumbsup:

Never said I did not like the yammys. I have owned a few. I still regret the day I sold my Tri-Z for school money. Yellow, gold rims, extended swingarm, durablue extended axle, shredders, bored .40 over, machined head, etc.. Man do I miss that machine. The only thing that would have made it better would be if it had a 6th gear.
My next purchase will be a rhino. I borrow my buddies and love it.

Honda is hard headed and slow to catch up with the rest of the industry as in V twins but they rely on their reputation to sell atv's. I am no brand fanboy by far but I still believe that the most dependable after a day of abuse is a Honda. Many of days my old 450s allowed me to go riding while that POS polaris 800 was in the shop as usual. Worst bike I ever saw as far as for dependability.

I would not hesitate to buy either a honda, yamaha, or can-am. It would come down to the best deal. You could not give me a polaris.

Never said I did not like the yammys. I have owned a few. I still regret the day I sold my Tri-Z for school money. Yellow, gold rims, extended swingarm, durablue extended axle, shredders, bored .40 over, machined head, etc.. Man do I miss that machine. The only thing that would have made it better would be if it had a 6th gear.
My next purchase will be a rhino. I borrow my buddies and love it.

Honda is hard headed and slow to catch up with the rest of the industry as in V twins but they rely on their reputation to sell atv's. I am no brand fanboy by far but I still believe that the most dependable after a day of abuse is a Honda. Many of days my old 450s allowed me to go riding while that POS polaris 800 was in the shop as usual. Worst bike I ever saw as far as for dependability.

I would not hesitate to buy either a honda, yamaha, or can-am. It would come down to the best deal. You could not give me a polaris.

Haha, I don't like them either. Got stranded because of a Polaris Sportsman 500 once...not cool.

I've seen Brute Force 750s outperform a lot of bikes. And hold up just as good. Snorkel the belt and the air breather, its unstoppable. As for power, I've witnessed one burn out in 2wd on blacktop with a 250 lb man driving it... Can't argue with that in my opinion.

But I own a 04 Honda Rancher 4x4 ES. It's durable, still running even after having mud over the handle bars a few times.

I've seen Brute Force 750s outperform a lot of bikes. And hold up just as good. Snorkel the belt and the air breather, its unstoppable. As for power, I've witnessed one burn out in 2wd on blacktop with a 250 lb man driving it... Can't argue with that in my opinion.

But I own a 04 Honda Rancher 4x4 ES. It's durable, still running even after having mud over the handle bars a few times.

My g/f's brothers beat the piss out of a Yamaha Bruin 350. They've had water over the bars numerous times and water in the oil. Still runs strong.

Back