• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which ATV?

I've rode nearly every modern quad at one time or another and I would have to say that you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the 500+ cc 4x4's on the market today. Now after saying that, I own and ride an 800 Can-Am and would buy it again in a second.

I've rode nearly every modern quad at one time or another and I would have to say that you probably couldn't go wrong with any of the 500+ cc 4x4's on the market today. Now after saying that, I own and ride an 800 Can-Am and would buy it again in a second.

Agreed, I have a Prairie 650, buddy has a Grizz. Both are great. I got the Prairie for the straight rear axle, I'm old....uh, old school I mean. Don't do too many reverse wheelies on the Grizz, front wheel bearings will not last long.

Without a question Polaris. I've owned 3 over the years and never had any major problems.

01 sportsman 500ho traded to upgrade for more power.
03 sportsman 700 traded because it was a cold blooded sob, and I use it for plowing
05 sportsman 700 efi still currently own it. Would never go back to a carb.

Hope to upgrade to the 850 here soon, but I certainly don't trust the state of the economy enough right now to drop the cash.

The Polaris's are heavier than the rest for a reason, there built to take abuse. I'm 350+ lbs and have my quad 3' in the air on a fairly regular basis. All I do is replace the front springs with heavy duty units, and add a 1" spacer to the rears.

I'm so suprised when I read that guys with honda's have power, they are reliable but the power isn't there at least the ones I rode. I have polaris 800 and raptor 700 I had grizzlys and I prefer the grizzly for a utility they have a lot of power nice ride and reliable. I rode an canam 800 and it was nice just not sure of reliability.

I have been following all of these threads and reading up on everything I can, but I thought I'd ask. Which ATV is good for a heavy person? I am 6ft and weigh a solid 300 lbs. I see that most ATV riders are smaller and lighter, thus they go faster. I just want a good trouble free ATV that rides well, and is able to support my weight. I do not plan to go over jumps and get air born. I am to old for that. Any suggestions? Thanks for your insight.

4x4? 2x4? 850cc? 800cc? Power steering?
dont care for it...i like a work out

my .2......id look into the new fuel-injection atv's some are "load detected" and are VERY powerful...i have road a Suzuki z400 sport quad which is fuel injected and the only mods where slip on exhaust and k/n fliter....road it 14 hours one day, NEVER bogged down, power is there!! starts EVERY time

power steering...depends on how lazy you are

i have a 2008 honda 450r love it....my dad has rode it...6' 270lbs...has no problem

i just prefer have a clutch.....

hope this helps some.....

Power steering is good for three reasons:
1. Mudding in deep heavy mud.
2. When you can only use 1 hand to steer, because the other is pre-occupied. (holding a beer):D
3. For driving on dry surfaces with 4x4 engaged and your not sitting on a Polaris.

I have been following all of these threads and reading up on everything I can, but I thought I'd ask. Which ATV is good for a heavy person? I am 6ft and weigh a solid 300 lbs. I see that most ATV riders are smaller and lighter, thus they go faster. I just want a good trouble free ATV that rides well, and is able to support my weight. I do not plan to go over jumps and get air born. I am to old for that. Any suggestions? Thanks for your insight.

4x4? 2x4? 850cc? 800cc? Power steering?

I'm 6' and 240lbs.:shocked:
my buddy has 650 when he hits the open road he leaves me sit but going thru the bush you can only go so fast, I can keep up with no problem:thumbsup:
Can Am 400 max xt

My dad's '04 grizz is really hard to steer when the front diff is locked. Power steer would help a lot in that situation.

Everyone that I know and talk to that has big bore ATV's with the power steering swear by it. They state they will never go back. They state they can ride all day and not get tired. I am still looking.

Back