• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where is the best place to buy a Suburban fuel tank?

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy a Suburban fuel tank? For the 1996 K1500 6.5 diesel Suburban

The cheapest is not often the best deal and the most expensive often is no different than the cheapest.

I just sold one out of a 99 last summer. - pretty much gave it away - with the sending unit. And the straps and the rock guard.

i JUST REMEMBERED, THE guy, I sold the tank to, was going to install it in a truck. So I also threw in the cross members needed to do that. And the straps. I think I got $50 for everything.

I'm kind of a sucker if somebody actually shows up to buy something.

He was here to buy the Toro Reelmaster I had for sale. Turned out he was a 6.5 guy. I think he is a member here. I know he is a member of at least one of the forums I am on

Just note the diesel gas sender/pickup assembly are different. Aftermarket tanks, Spectra, we got from Advance Auto don't have the seam bent at the proper angle. Made install a real PIA.

I just talked to Sherman tech service about their 43B.

I was told that ll 3 tanks are made in the factory. Sherman, Dorman and Spectra.

The Sherman guy also said the only difference in the tanks, is the 2 ports in the top of the gasser tank that I could plug. Can anybody verify this also?

I do not have a diesel sending unit to try in the gasoline tank until I drop the tank on the Suburban.

Can anybody verify that? He said just buy which ever is cheapest.

Are there any other tanks to choose from?

I am more and more believing in hoarding. Experiences like trying to find a decent quality tank when I just sold one are making me want to keep everything. LOL

My wife says I hoard enough.

I've already wasted to much time shopping.

Does anybody know of a used diesel tank anywhere out of the rust belt?

Last edited:
You might check into the facebook 6.5 diesel thing, there is a truck setting on a trailer in there, minus the engine and trans, iirc, it said free.I do not remember the location though.
6.5 Turbo Diesels is the name of the group, a closed group, You will need to join to look into the postings.

You might check into the facebook 6.5 diesel thing, there is a truck setting on a trailer in there, minus the engine and trans, iirc, it said free.I do not remember the location though.
6.5 Turbo Diesels is the name of the group, a closed group, You will need to join to look into the postings.

I posted there earlier. I will check back

I just talked to Sherman tech service about their 43B.

I was told that ll 3 tanks are made in the factory. Sherman, Dorman and Spectra.

The Sherman guy also said the only difference in the tanks, is the 2 ports in the top of the gasser tank that I could plug. Can anybody verify this also?

I do not have a diesel sending unit to try in the gasoline tank until I drop the tank on the Suburban.

Can anybody verify that? He said just buy which ever is cheapest.

Are there any other tanks to choose from?

I am more and more believing in hoarding. Experiences like trying to find a decent quality tank when I just sold one are making me want to keep everything. LOL

My wife says I hoard enough.

I've already wasted to much time shopping.

Does anybody know of a used diesel tank anywhere out of the rust belt?

If the only difference is in the ports on the sender, then harvest one from a gasser and buy a diesel sender from Rockauto.

There are many Suburbans to choose from in SoCal pick a part boneyards. New arrivals almost daily.

I actually have a gasser tank in the shed. One year old. I'd like to verify that it is as I was told before we get the other tank pulled down.

The sender in the Suburban is good. I hope I wrote in the maintenance book when it was changed. I might be able to get a ruff idea by the condition of the anti-seize on the tank strap bolts

I'd like to take it down and put it back up again in as short of time as possible. It's not all that often that I get help. If I get help, I want things to go as fast as possible.

Then I can feed and beer them until they forgot they came over to work.

Makes it easier to get them next time, if they can't remember what they did last time.

If I do not get help, I'd still like things to go as fast as possible.

You may not believe this, but I've been told stuff that I found to be incorrect before. LOL

Like when somebody told me that the in tank lift pump they were recommending for the 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD was flow through on fail. LOL It was NOT! I'm just glad I wasn't the one that learned the hard way. Not that I've done anything but wait for mine to fail and leave the Jeep stranded.

In my tahoe diesel conversion I found out that the sending unit for a diesel tank is a different diameter than the gas tank so a gasser tank will not work. That was comparing a 96 tahoe gas tank to a 96 C1500 diesel tank.

The gas tanks have the in tank pump....therefore the whole is bigger.

Back