• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Where does this ground strap attach?

Big T

Reaction score
While installing the steering box, I noticed the following ground strap and could not remember where the loose end attached:

1358457252.jpg

One end is attached to the front upper control arm mount. There is a hole for a bolt in the middle (in the pic) and one on the other end (not shown). Strap does not seem long enough to attach to the engine block.

does the hole look like a bolt was ever in it?
what's the other end attach to? it looks to be attached to the engine at the top no? the center hole could just be another body bond...

It looks like someone has added it, just attach one end to the motor, and the other to the frame, and the center to the body if it will reach.... The control arm is NOT a good ground due to the rubber bushings, find or drill a hole in the frame somewhere.

in the picture, the strap is connected to the frame. NEAR the control arm, there is even a ground strap around the LCA washer... looks factory to me.

Here's another picture with the ground pulled up next to the injectors:

1358527232.jpg

Was wearing a dress shirt, so I did not thread it under all the hoses. However, it barely reaches the engine block. I guess I could grab more length by moving the other end so it comes off the control arm mount pointing towards the engine.

Are the experts here saying there isn't a ground strap on the driver's side?

None of my 6.5 trucks have a strap resembling that one. My guess is an add-on as well. The factory engine to frame stap is alot smaller and on the pass side of mine.

Might as well find a bolt for it and use it anyways. Cant see it hurting anything.

-Nick

I added an extra ground to my setup. It cannot hurt. But I ran mine from the Block to the battery negative on both sides. Then an added run from the passenger battery - to the frame rail.

You can't have enough clean grounds on these trucks!!!

IMO that was an add on by a PO. A stated not a very good location either. You want to hit: block, frame rail, and/or battery -.

I made my own cables from 0/1 car audio wire, but welding cable will work as well and is usually cheaper.

good luck!

Back