• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's In Your Pocket?

The overall consumer welfare is still very good and beneficial to all. I and assume most people like to know the flow of traffic on their travel route.

I don't like my phone battery gets consumed when I am not actively using it is probably my biggest gripe as of now. And it's not always controllable except if you turn it off and I am not so sure even then.

So, here is a thought for the conspiracy theorists out there.

Is anybody following where this information is going into saving lives?

If we happened to have a tool which was able to back-track people's movements and identify others whom crossed those paths, we could take proactive steps to quarantine people exposed to COVID-19 without any guesswork. This tool could do a whole lot more to benefit society than the current efforts of trying to ramp-up production of masks and respirators.

But then again, this tool does not exist. Right? ;)

I think they are using cell phone data just not saying it as such.

They don’t explain their “models” very much.

I haven’t seen much real good break down of the data yet. Mostly just mention of age group of deceased.

I didn't read the post - but from the summary of phone tracking - I think it's only used when it's convenient for those that can access it has a reason to access it.

But, with plastic money trails, GPS in newer vehicles, and cameras in towns and stores - I'm sure anybody can be tracked anyhow, regardless of having a cell phone.

Someone was talking about Zoom and their privacy issues. What can Zoom have that Google doesn't already have on me? I have google docs, email, photos, maps, etc. Google knows where I've been all the way back to 2010. And...because they have the best way for me to record it, I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Just looked at the link. That's a nice rabbit hole to go into later.

Also - now that they all have my data - is there any point on trying to stop now? Unless I plan to not ever use GPS on my phone for directions, or somehow stop using internet before a major move, history will find where I'm at.

AK, that is absolutely correct!

In the most common definition, Big Brother equates to the Government. In this case, it is the corporate marketing machine. For those whom claim the Government is bad for collecting data on the population, those same people need to take issue with corporations doing the same thing but to a broader extent. Granted, some uses of the data go toward making the system better (ie: tuning for congestion), but now it is far too common to turn people into the product for sale.

In terms of who is tracking what, correct in that we are giving up lots of information. Actually, this goes back to the early days of when credit cards moved to electronic transactions.

What the NY Times exposed was the ability to trace somebody's movements not only in real-time, but to also play-back those steps. This was unwittingly given-up by people who did not understand that the fun game or social media app granted permission to do this. While I do not know the thoughts of anybody but myself, I am not good with location data selling to the highest bidder when this information can ID our military and law enforcement.

But enough of the dangers of real-time location data...

Pulling this full circle, it is clear that we have a tool to smash the COVID-19 curve. We had it all along. By tracing an infected person's steps backward, it is possible to ID individuals whom crossed that path after the fact (example: gas pump). With this information, the data can bound-in not only the currently infected, but also those whom were exposed and possibly contagious. The question is whether people will see this benefit.

Possibly related, I heard in today's news that Google and Apple are looking to create an opt-in tool (do not recall whether independent of each other or joint) where it can actively track people's movements and alert when exposed to, or near somebody, with COVID-19. While this is great, it seems curious that the platforms which enabled the clandestine tracking are suddenly inventing a free tracking tool for tracking COVID-19. Then again, another interpretation is that these companies want to do a face-saving move and look like heroes by spinning the monster into an angel.

The concept end game is Bill Gates's desire to have everyone micro chipped. Since he's DEEP into pharma, the new (miracle) vaccination would be a convenient way to convey it. And why me and mine will take a pass... Even if I have to be in that pile of empty brass to prove my conviction.

Some of the Asian countries have already been using the phones to track people for this purpose and it's actually working pretty good for that purpose. In the US the medical community seems to be ultra concerned with patient privacy. It would be nice to know if someone in my general area had tested positive. I don't need names and addresses just a heads up it's getting closer. That being said I'd probably opt out of it given a choice, mostly because of the give them an inch and they'll take a mile mentality. Alot of good could come from it but also alot of bad.

So, am just curious. How would everybody feel toward using this data if COVID-19 mutates into something like Ebola and retains the characteristics of both? Still want to opt-out?

Only real problem with opting out, is that everybody probably already opted-in by way of some obscure permission which that fun game required you to approve (or else it would not install).

Granted, most of the time this type of data needs to stay private. And at the same time, there are times when we need to move it public.

Last edited:
Back