• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What would you still consider a 6.5?

I'm probably on the side that would say that's a d'max not a 6.5L. I agree with the fella from "way up north" with the IDI comment. However, if you could use a 6.5L head, but install and machine a solid precup that allowed one to convert to a DI injector someway somehow... maybe then you could call it a 6.5L? I suppose, it's your baby and you can name her/him/it what ever you want, eh?! Either way, I'm sure we all wish you the best o luck!!!

I'm all for innovation, but why not just build a Duramax? What advantages do you see this engine having over a built Duramax?
BTW, I'd call it a V8 Detruzu Diesel. :D

Ya know the more I think about this the more I don't think I would consider this a 6.5 anymore. Part of what makes it a 6.5 is the IDI part of it. If your going to all the trouble to modify the block to put Dmax heads on it why not just use a dmax?

Thats what I am thinking also

You guys gotta remember, Will is building the worlds fastest and most powerful 6.5 diesel. Its not a matter of "just dropping a DMAX in it" That's just as bad as people going to hard work to put a different engine in and then someone coming along and saying "would have been a lot easier to drop a Cummins in it." If it has a displacement of 396 cubic inches then its still a 6.5. Whether its an IDI or a Common rail.

Will you have my full support. :thumbsup: Drop me a line if you would like some assistance with the common rail conversion. One of these days/months/years I'm gonna take a road trip to Canada for a vacation and maybe a meet.

I think when you slap the dmax heads on, it's no longer the world's most powerful 6.5. It's the most powerful 1/2 6.5 and 1/2 dmax engine. If displacement alone is all that matters, there's a GTO down the road that will smoke any truck here for RWHP.

I think when you slap the dmax heads on, it's no longer the world's most powerful 6.5. It's the most powerful 1/2 6.5 and 1/2 dmax engine. If displacement alone is all that matters, there's a GTO down the road that will smoke any truck here for RWHP.

x2

If displacement alone is all that matters, there's a GTO down the road that will smoke any truck here for RWHP.

You mean Bill from Anchorage?

attachment.php

I have a twin turbo Duramax that I am building :D

Another problem, I could stroke it to 427 cubic inches, but then it would be a 7.1l engine... that doesn't make it a 6.5l anymore, but block and heads are basically the same?

They put small block Chevy heads on Chevy inline six engines, and converted them to multi-port fuel injection, stroke them, do everything possible to them. Who would have guessed I use what I learned from working on I-6's and applied it to other engines?haha.

I'm obviously trying to figure out how an engine is classified, everyone refers to the 6.5 by it's displacement, but no mention of a change when they overbore? It's a tricky thing to narrow down I guess. I'll see what I can come up with later in the night.

Biggest difference I see is that when you swap heads on other engines your not changing the type of engine it is. I don't think cubic inches is as important if still using original parts.

Even keeping it IDI... the only original parts will be block, heads, and glow plugs. Even still, the block and heads will be heavily modified. Not a single other part will be factory, not even the oil pump shaft. It makes it kind of hard to compete in the unlimited classes with guys that change everything. Which if need be, I will go with a billet block. But then it's not a GM casting... so where does that leave me? Perkins changed their T6.3544 engines from IDI to DI...

There is a guy I have been talking to who has billet Dmax blocks, billet cylinder heads, the works. Nothing on that engine is factory, but it's still a Dmax?

I realize I might be kind of a pain in the ass here, but I'm trying to feel out what everyone thinks is all. I would like to stay IDI, but seeing how "simple" a head swap is, it makes it very temping you know? Still waiting on a head gasket to come my way so I can be 100% sure of one head bolt hole.

I think as long as it's a 6.5 block ,it's a 6.5. The idea of swapping heads is great. The 6.5 heads are a definite weak point. The large gap between head bolts where the exhaust ports are really suprised me the first time I took one apart. That's what made me deside that arp studs had to be used on every one I take apart. You need every bit of clamping force you can get. I hope it works out for you. Many will be watching with interest.

If someone put 6.5 heads on a D-Max, nobody in the world would call it a 6.5 detroit..... It would still be a D-Max. Nothing changes the other way around. Its still an extremely heavily modified 6.5.

I guess I don't think it would be worth all the effort. One of the 6.5s weak links is the block. If I was going thru all that effort and money I'd want it to be bullet proof.

yeah I've seen his drawings but for what he plans on trying to get out of it sounds more like a band aid. If it stayed idi I think it would be bullet proof but going di he's talking serious power.

You can come up with a nifty name for the mod. In the Corvette and Camaro they change the heads and intake, blocks of the 350 and they change the engine name, LT1, LT4, LS1, LS6.....

I think starting with a 6.5 block and keeping it IDI is needed to have any real bragging rights. Strap anything else on there and youre still good. Otherwise you are just like any 6.6L turbo diesel.

Back