• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What would you still consider a 6.5?

i would only consider it a 6.5 if it kept the same basic 6.5 architecture, being heads and engine block. If you converted it to DI using the stock head design, that would be like going from a carb to EFI still the same motor, just fueled differently.

I personally would like to see someone adapt the heads to direct injection and adapt a different IP to the stock cover.

Will could you post pictures of the 6.5 head gasket as compared to a 6.6? I'm curious to see just how similar they are

i would only consider it a 6.5 if it kept the same basic 6.5 architecture, being heads and engine block. If you converted it to DI using the stock head design, that would be like going from a carb to EFI still the same motor, just fueled differently.

I agree with this guy :iagree:

I think you should do a poll with the diff configurations you might use. Probably get more response.

I was thinking about doing a poll, but the majority seems to not like a DI conversion (I asked over at DP too). IDI or DI my power goals are the same, the DI just would have cost less to do, while making the same power. Keeping it IDI is going to call for a couple types of tests, of which I will be getting some help from a local gas supplier, because I don't have equipment that can test over 5000psi.

Block strength won't be a problem, and piston cooling will likely be used also, thanks to a guy that helped build the supercharged Duramax, along with other such engines. The block will end up being stronger than a Dmax block. I would like to thank Mike from Texas for the ideas he has given me :) I also just got off the phone with a couple places about the 6.5's injectors, it seems they won't be a big problem like I initially thought.

I will post pictures of a gasket comparison, once I get the gaskets in my hand. The guy hasn't contacted me yet about shipping, but I'm sure he will.

I never had a thread actually, a bunch of us discussed it in the lounge over the past week or so though. It helps a lot talking to the Duramax guys that pull and race.

Last edited:
Will, no one has ever built a DI 6.5, or at least to my knowledge. So do it, you know you want to!

Also FWIW Ford switched their 7.3 IDI to DI. There are more differences than just the heads, but if Ford can do it...

Back