• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What would cause a pitman arm failure following installation of new wheels and tires?

Dogle5150

Reaction score
Had new wheels and tires installed on my 06 Silverado. Tires are same size (33x12.50) but I went from a 20" rim to an 18" rim. Drove home fine. When I got in my truck to back out the next morning, I turned the wheel, started to back up and heard a loud pop sounded like a shot. Upon inspection of suspension I found that the pitman arm had snapped. My father always told me there's no such thing as coincidence. I'm no mechanic, but seems to me that the installation and the failure of the pitman arm are likely related. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks for the add.IMG_20220615_210747518.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rig ya got there and welcome to the forum

I’m not too sure in the pitman arm failure like that. I have however gone through 4 idler arm brackets in the last year on my rig. I’m thinking it’s because how heavy these trucks are and the oversized tires I run not to mention aftermarket chinesium junk that’s out on the market nowadays (my mistake for cheaping out). Was yours a Delco part? I’ve learned the hard way to keep AC Delco replacement parts on these trucks

it isn’t that you just changed the rim size- running those tires is really hard on suspension components. Especially when there is a wide tire patch on the ground.

Hmmwvs, hummers eat idler arms, pitman arms, and ballmjoints. Stock tires are 37x12.50 x either 16.5 or 17 depending. As soon as guys go up in tire size, the mileage for idler & pitman drops off more. Going from 37x12.50 to 40x13,50 will cut the life of those two parts down by 35%

It isn’t just the height added, but the width.

Make sure you get the new one from an authorized dealer. There is a ton of knock off parts out there- that may be your issue here if you already replaced it once.

Show some close up pics if you would. Zoom in on each half of the break. And upload all the pics using “full size” option.

Nice rig ya got there and welcome to the forum

I’m not too sure in the pitman arm failure like that. I have however gone through 4 idler arm brackets in the last year on my rig. I’m thinking it’s because how heavy these trucks are and the oversized tires I run not to mention aftermarket chinesium junk that’s out on the market nowadays (my mistake for cheaping out). Was yours a Delco part? I’ve learned the hard way to keep AC Delco replacement parts on these trucks

I turned the wheel, started to back up and heard a loud pop sounded like a shot.

Sitting still and turning the steering wheel is the HIGHEST Stress you can put on the suspension. If you can: be moving when you turn the wheel. Even a slow roll in reverse is better than cranking the wheel siting still. Listen to the power steering pump groan when you crank it sitting still Vs. moving.

Use the best parts you can get that you know are not knock-offs. Not the parts to be Cheap or even Frugal on (Also same for brakes).

Back