• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What tranny came stock

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
My 93 K3500, someone swapped from auto to NV4500 at some point, with the 93 being all manual what tranny would have come stock??

Was considering a Allison swap but sense the truck still has the wiring from the auto it makes more sense to have a strong 4l80 built maybe...

OK, so what is the difference between 4l80 & 4l80E, I'm thinking no wires were cut during the swap because I see in places the connectors are just empty now.

If I were to look for a built auto tranny would it need to be a 4l80 or 4l80E , I'm guessing the "E" is electronic of some sort?

Technically there's no such thing as a 4L80. As they are all Electronic.
Even if it doesn't have the E at the end, it's still a electronic 4L80.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IMO a 4L80E is strong enough. Put the improvements in like 5 pinion OD gearsets. Get a triple disc converter stalled for your build - just for the better lockup clutch. The converter can overcome the big RPM drops some gears have. Change trans oil every 25k miles.

Converter lockup clutch gives me 50k OEM, and the 3rd gear overrun clutch is quickly toast with no improvement available. It's only used for compresion braking.

If you're using stock electronics, you're stuck using a 91-93 EARLY 4l80e transmission. You can add in the output reluctor since Sonnax is now making replacement's, but theres not much you can do to get around needing the 91-93 valve body. Your only option would be custom programming or a stand alone controller if you can't find a 91-93 4l80e.

mine came with the 4L80E. i was having trouble getting a signal so i installed the TCI EZ-TCU. works great. keep the stock TPS to same a few dollars. put in a floor shifter w/ reverse lockout from TCI also.

If it was mine, I would run the late 99 or newer 4l80e, and a stand alone controller. The early 4l80e's got alot of improvements through the years. By mid year 99 GM had the bugs worked out and most of the weak points weeded out.

Back