• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What torque converter do I need

Tgwoods89

Reaction score
I have a 1997 k2500 Chevy with the 6.5l turbo diesel in it. I am changing the 4l80e transmission out with one I took out of a 2000 k2500 Chevy with a 6.0l gas engine. What torque converter and stall should I use for the 6.5l turbo diesel and will there be any issues with the swap? Thank You

Yes I still have it I am just trying to find out what stall torque converter I need and if they will be any issues installing the 2000 model transmission in a 97 model

@THEFERMANATOR is the resident trans expert. The years vary so it's a good question if the electronics will work.

I have a triple disc stall converter and large turbo for sale that makes a 6.5L get out of it's own way. The Torque Converter Clutch is the weak point in our transmissions.

The 2000 trans will bolt right in and work just like stock. I would highly recommend putting in a transgo hd2 shift kit if you're not going into the trans. If the engine is stock, I like the Transtar gm88-bp. The bp model uses a billet piston that helps with the failure prone factory piston. With a stock turbo you want a tight converter since the stock turbo runs out of air so quick. If you have a different turbo that changes things.

I have a stock turbo with a turbo master control and waste gate alumentator. But the turbo is still stock. What stall torque converter do u recommend.

I recommend (and NOT just because I have a combo for sale) sending the restrictive stock turbo to the scrap yard. Some may like to LUG this high speed diesel at low RPM, but, it doesn't have the HP to back up the Torque at low RPM. The shift happy trans like to rev it to the roof where the OEM turbo chokes.

There are many turbo's to choose from today and ALL are better than the stock turbo.

If you're keeping the stock turbo, the transtar gm88-bp is an excellent stock replacement. If you think you might change turbos down the road, I would find a converter builder to make you a looser converter to compliment it. Suncoast can build you a nice single disc, so can precision industries out of Tennessee .

Back