• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What tires should I get

Trailmaster01

Marshall
Reaction score
Any suggestions..or I should say anyone have any short reviews on 'newer' as in tires that came out recently..and you had them on your truck for a few months and actually put them to some offroad use..even if just job site type terrain......tires such as all terrain/mud....wet weather siping.

Tire make and size depends on vehicle application. I rock crawl with my full size truck, i used to run BFG's, Ground Hawgs and Mickey Thompson Baja Claws 37"X13.5"X15". The Mickeys sucked for a full size rig as they didnt have enough flotation/contact patch and would not clean themselves when the did get muddy. I upgraded to Swamper SX's 38.5"X14.5"X15" and they were the best tire i have ever used to this date. I am currently building an S-10 on Rockwells and will be running old Gumbo Buckshot Mudder 44"s until i have enough money for new tires. I am either going with Swamper Irok's in 49"s or may go with the new Pitbull's. Tell us what your running and what your doing with it.

Tire make and size depends on vehicle application. I rock crawl with my full size truck, i used to run BFG's, Ground Hawgs and Mickey Thompson Baja Claws 37"X13.5"X15". The Mickeys sucked for a full size rig as they didnt have enough flotation/contact patch and would not clean themselves when the did get muddy. I upgraded to Swamper SX's 38.5"X14.5"X15" and they were the best tire i have ever used to this date. I am currently building an S-10 on Rockwells and will be running old Gumbo Buckshot Mudder 44"s until i have enough money for new tires. I am either going with Swamper Irok's in 49"s or may go with the new Pitbull's. Tell us what your running and what your doing with it.
Well believe me I am well aware of the different applications.....I am just looking for a "hybrid" mudd/all terrain tire...they are making quite a bit of these now...toyo,etc...I want them more for show....the job site analogy basically outlined the usage.....thanks for responding though....anyway...I like older gumbo mudders....they are classics...I also like rockwells...good luck with your build...hope you got a big block in that...or will:cornut:

Interco released their first A/T and it is great..... they are the VorTrac and they perform offroad like an M/T and perform on road like an A/T.... the wear like a normal A/T tire and are good in the rain and what not..... they are a very good choice

I will be running Kumho M/T tires on my chubby here when they get here

Hankook ATZ is what I am runnin it is great on the highway and better in the dirt and mud and very affordable and you still get a tread life warranty with them

A fella i wheel with ran those in 36" flavor in the Ultimate Challenge 2 years ago. I rode in his rig down at Roushes Creek in PA last fall after my truck broke. Those tires grip very well, excellent traction in rocks and they clean well. They also have soft sidewalls for great ride and good deflection. I have ran the BFG A/T in the past with very good luck. They last forever, decent traction and are quiet on the road as compared to other off-road tires. The A/T's is what i would recommmend for a DD rig.
As far as my S-10 getting a V-8, probably not right away. The 4.3 has the same HP as a 305 and it is easy to modify for more HP. I will be keeping the rig as light as possible and i wont need alot of HP for crawling anyway. The Rockwells have 6.72 gearing so those will give me the torque i need. A 350 is an easy drop in though.

A fella i wheel with ran those in 36" flavor in the Ultimate Challenge 2 years ago. I rode in his rig down at Roushes Creek in PA last fall after my truck broke. Those tires grip very well, excellent traction in rocks and they clean well. They also have soft sidewalls for great ride and good deflection. I have ran the BFG A/T in the past with very good luck. They last forever, decent traction and are quiet on the road as compared to other off-road tires. The A/T's is what i would recommmend for a DD rig.
As far as my S-10 getting a V-8, probably not right away. The 4.3 has the same HP as a 305 and it is easy to modify for more HP. I will be keeping the rig as light as possible and i wont need alot of HP for crawling anyway. The Rockwells have 6.72 gearing so those will give me the torque i need. A 350 is an easy drop in though.

I was thinking about getting a set of those when the ones I got now ware down. Thanks for the info and real life experience those tires.

I am currently running the Hankook Dynopro MT's on my D-Max, awesome traction but man do you pay for it with crappy life expectancy. Mine have 18k on them, rotated every 6k and they are shot. I mean shot as in bald, illegal, hydroplane on a damp road shot. I would try to run them just in the winter but i dont beleive you could get 2 winters out of a set, but they sure do grip in the snow.

This is what I run in the muddy and snowy seasons. I'm pleased with their performance.

Cooper STT

Tire2.jpg

thanks for all the responses so far....that's exactly what I was looking for....I was never too much a fan of cooper tires...but I see they're getting their act together....I like the coopers in that pic

I really like my Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's

I run em' in 265 75 16E

used to run 285's but the fuel mileage was less

trans.gif
trans.gif
bs_duelerat_revo_owl_ci2_l.jpg

So far I am very happy with my Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. I'm running LT265/75R-16 (E) on OEM 3500SRW 16x7 wheels. All around traction has been excellent for me and they are just as quiet as the OEM Bridgestone V-Steel R265 tires that came with the truck...
http://www.goodyearwrangler.com/

Attachments

• Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor.jpg
    Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 4
I like my MT MTZ's a lot. They look sweet. I have about 20k on them right now and they still have at least 50% tread or better left on them. They wear pretty good for an MT and my right foot. I've done one good burnout on them (not a brakestand) and that's it... but I like to accelerate hard quite often.

We have Toyo A/T's on our truck, and they've only lasted about 28k, although there is about 2/32nds on the worst one yet, but i have no idea what i want to put on after this. They were great in all conditions new, but now that they've worn down they aren't as great.

I like my MT MTZ's a lot. They look sweet. I have about 20k on them right now and they still have at least 50% tread or better left on them. They wear pretty good for an MT and my right foot. I've done one good burnout on them (not a brakestand) and that's it... but I like to accelerate hard quite often.

I'm with you on the MTZ'S. I have never regretted putting them on my truck.

I've got Cooper ST's (not stt's) and have 20k on them and they still look new. They have good off road traction and are very quiet, can't even hear them anymore since i put on my 4" exhaust :D IIRC i paid 140 a piece for them.

I have the BFG KM2's in 305/65/17E. So far I like them, I have about 10k on them. They have helpped out a ton off road. Last trip to the desert, I didn't even have to use 4x4. I always had to lock her in with the factory bridgestones. They aren't too loud, actually quiter than I thought they were going to be.

Attachments

• truck h2's 002.jpg
    truck h2's 002.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 7
  • truck h2's 003.jpg
    truck h2's 003.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
Back