• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what temps do you see with the 4LE80 ?

VW_Lupo_TD

Reaction score
did a 10000 ft climb today and not going slow either,
was just wondering what you guys see under harsh conditions
similar to that temperaturewise ???

rgds

with my setup, gmtdscan says 160 to 200. my tranny electrical gauge averages 200 to 240 at top of hills- average load of 7k lbs. gauge reads output fluid temp befor radiator. btw, this is with tcc lock.

with my setup, gmtdscan says 160 to 200. my tranny electrical gauge averages 200 to 240 at top of hills- average load of 7k lbs. gauge reads output fluid temp befor radiator. btw, this is with tcc lock.

Having the sending unit in the return line or pan would tell you a whole lot more.

Having the sending unit in the return line or pan would tell you a whole lot more.

not to :hijacked: , I agree, but I am more interested in the amount of heat coming out of the tranny, gmtdscan tells me internal temp, and I can calculate to a degree the amount of cooling, but mostly concerned with max heat that is occurring.

I have been debating with installing a second gauge, at tranny on return, for complete picture. could be a little overkill as not all my hauling is heavy loads.

not to :hijacked: , I agree, but I am more interested in the amount of heat coming out of the tranny, gmtdscan tells me internal temp, and I can calculate to a degree the amount of cooling, but mostly concerned with max heat that is occurring.

I have been debating with installing a second gauge, at tranny on return, for complete picture. could be a little overkill as not all my hauling is heavy loads.

We all know that the converter can generate a lot of heat depending how hard it is working; that's a given. So if you saw 300 F at the converter while working the converter ( stalling it ); that is normal and tells you nothing as all converters are capable of this in certain situations. What is important is, how did the cooling system handle this and what is the final sump temp. Then you know what the trans is working with and you will know if you need extra cooling. The temp taken at the converter out will not tell you this.

Sorry for the hyjack but I feel this is important.

Back