• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What should I get first?

Reminds me of a little story - I was going to tow a FED-EX box package truck, and I was pulling the driveshaft as recommended for towing procedure, and it wasn't budging. I put a bar in there, and popped it free. Well, I was on a hill. It rolled forward, onto my ankle, I panicked and yanked my foot out of there. I should have left it there, as now I was rolling pretty good under truck, hanging on to crossmember. I wanted to let go, but I wasn't positive my head would clear the rear pumpkin (squish)... I hung on and the truck rolled about 30 feet and leveled out in the empty lot. WHEW!!!!!

That was a long time ago. Needless to say. Make sure chock blocks and/or e-brake are engaged!

Holly Crap :eek: Your story sure trumps mine...I'm sure you needed a new pair of draws after that one I surely would have...:yikes:

Got about 7... Plow worked flawlessly! As did the 6.5, but that goes without saying.

Glad to here it..:thumbsup: Ive got a state contract and have two trucks a 94 Ford F350 7.3 turbo diesel flat bed and my truck 97 GMC K3500 dually diesel.. I used to plow the rest area off of rte 25 in plymouth but due to Duval's infinite wisdom , the rest area is shut down and one truck is commited to ramps the other is a floater......

A belated welcome to The Truck Stop Steve. As you can see, these guys are really good at spending your money!):h
You've found the top 6.5 site in the world. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

with that many miles and an unknown history I would do the injectors. I didn't do mine and now I need new injectors and possibly a new long block.

changing injectors now would be relatively cheap 100,000 mile insurance.

I agree seeing how I'm not having any problems with my PMD right now.:nonod: Hope I didn't just jinx myself.. I might just buy the 6' extension and heatsink for now..

I was thinking the OEM Bosch injectors.. But should I go with the +40hp ones or the Marine ones or save money and buy stock ones... :confused:Decisions decisions :confused:

A belated welcome to The Truck Stop Steve. As you can see, these guys are really good at spending your money!):h
You've found the top 6.5 site in the world. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

Thank you sir...:thumbsup:. I am very fortunate to have found this site with all the wisdom and knowledge..:iagree:

Thank you sir...:thumbsup:. I am very fortunate to have found this site with all the wisdom and knowledge..:iagree:
:welcome3: to the Truck stop! Glad to have you. In reguards to some of your questions its my personally feeling that you should take care of some of the more problematic items before diving into power builders.

For example, there is nothing better than knowing that your PMd is on a heat sink outside of the engine bay. Your worries about an unexpected stall will go away almost permanently.

Injectors are a big thing. Don't buy the "marine" or "HO" injectors. Honestly, your just handing someone additional money that you will never be able to use. Stock Bosch genuine injectors flow far more fuel than you will ever use. Most likely, your fuel system pre injection pump will run out of fuel before they can't flow more.

IMHO every diesel should have boost pyro and trans temp. Whether you tow or not. Its good insurance to have and having those three gauges alone can almost giving you a complete runout on what your truck is doing at almost all times.

The ATT is a great investment as well. I love it. Only thing I dislike it it doesn't whistle.

After you take care of all the little things that should be taken care of first, open up your wallet and explore the site. there are alot of upgrades out there that will really get your truck up and going. And even roal a little coal while your at it :thumbsup:

:welcome3: to the Truck stop! Glad to have you. In reguards to some of your questions its my personally feeling that you should take care of some of the more problematic items before diving into power builders.

For example, there is nothing better than knowing that your PMd is on a heat sink outside of the engine bay. Your worries about an unexpected stall will go away almost permanently. I totaly agree and will get the harness and heat sink pronto.

Injectors are a big thing. Don't buy the "marine" or "HO" injectors. Honestly, your just handing someone additional money that you will never be able to use. Stock Bosch genuine injectors flow far more fuel than you will ever use. Most likely, your fuel system pre injection pump will run out of fuel before they can't flow more. I kind of figured the stock ones where adequate.

IMHO every diesel should have boost pyro and trans temp. Whether you tow or not. Its good insurance to have and having those three gauges alone can almost giving you a complete runout on what your truck is doing at almost all times.
I have the boost and trans installed just waiting on the pyro.
The ATT is a great investment as well. I love it. Only thing I dislike it it doesn't whistle. Soon, very Soon

After you take care of all the little things that should be taken care of first, open up your wallet and explore the site. there are alot of upgrades out there that will really get your truck up and going. And even roal a little coal while your at it :thumbsup:

Thanks, BigBlue

and if money allows just do the oil cooler lines too. once all those things are done you shoild have a pretty reliable truck

and if money allows just do the oil cooler lines too. once all those things are done you shoild have a pretty reliable truck

oil cooler lines,tranny cooler lines and new oil cooler where 3 of the many things replaced brand new 3 months ago when i bought it..:thumbsup:

Thanks woody I forgot about those.

AN fittings with some nice stainless steel hosing and you will never think about your oil cooler lines again. Kinda like the PMd after its on a nice sized heat sink in a good path of wind to cool it.

Back