• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What should I get first?

97duallydiesel

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Newbie to the diesel blogs and am a dry sponge thirsting for knowledge.. I'll tell ya alittle about my background . Ive always been a Chevy/ Gmc man and have had a gas powered trucks up until the latest 97 GMC K3500 Dually Diesel 6.5 turbo 4X4. 250K miles
The GMC is in great condition inside and out and was sitting in a Boat yard not running.( Hole in fuel line and starter) I offerd The owner some cash and he sold to me as is.
The following has been done: New fuel line,fuel filter,fuel sending unit,fuel manager/filter housing.
New brake lines from rear to front ,new front calipers,pads and e brake cable
New oil cooler and tranny cooler lines, new oil cooler.
new belt ,starter ,two batteries ,vacuum pump,turbo wastegate soln,boost ensor.Head light switch .
AC pump, ac radiator and hoses removed. New OEM pulley relocator .I added a rear defrost with new rear window.
I added SSDiesel 4" exhaust and stainless tip, SSDiesel Air intake.
I'm in process of installing Autometer vacuum/turbo and tran temp gauges in the overhead console.

The truck runs excellent ,no stalling and no problems. I primarily bought it to plow snow with but I love it so much it's my everyday driver.

My question is what should I do next for performance??

EGT Gauge, ATT Turbo and then a Heath chip.

If you can not afford a ATT right away get a turbo master or make your own.

I would not do too many more mods till you get all three gauges hooked up.

Welcome!

Thanks Marty.. I thought the EGT gauge was only important if you were going to be hauling for an extended period. I only drive maybe 10 miles a day . Plowing snow on the other hand ? who knows how long sometimes ..

EGT is a very important gauge for all diesel vehicles. Especially if you plan on getting more power out of your new to you truck. I do not plan on doing much power upgrades to my truck but, I will install an EGT gauge when I can afford one. They are easy to install and worth every penny on insurance that I can watch what is going on with my motor.

One other gauge I forgot would be a fuel pressure gauge. The OPS and LP are prone on our trucks to go out. If you have a gauge to watch you will find out sooner.

I have read about the EGT install and like you state it doesn't appear to be that difficult..thanks

Now the other two acronyms about the fuel I'm not sure about:nonod:

A smart investment would be the strap type clamps for the exhaust. They don't crimp the tube like the standard U-bolts and you can get the pipes apart if you ever need to.

A smart investment would be the strap type clamps for the exhaust. They don't crimp the tube like the standard U-bolts and you can get the pipes apart if you ever need to.

Sorry , I'm not sure I know what You mean.. My buddy owns a Meinke shop and he installed the exhaust for me welding it. i'm not really worried about it cause he'll repair for free whenever i need.

packratt was referring to band clamps, the 2 pipes are put end to end and the clamp goes around both. Welding eliminated the need for any clamps.:smile5:

BTW Welcome

Diesel Cash is right on with his suggestions. The ssdiesel air intake should have a box built around it to keep the air cooler, I still need to do this. Don't buy the ssd pmd remote mount.

Diesel Cash is right on with his suggestions. The ssdiesel air intake should have a box built around it to keep the air cooler, I still need to do this. Don't buy the ssd pmd remote mount.

Yeah ,I didn't like his PMD placement but the exhaust was a thicker gauge than most manuf.. 14 gauge compared to 16 and it was a great fit...
I think I'm going to fabricate a box for the air intake to keep it cool..

I started on the two gauges today ..almost killed myself ::eek:mad2:Like and idiot I didn't think I needed the e brake on or chock blocks cause I wasn't doing anything mechanical :nonod:. BUT while installing the tranny temp gauge I had to move the tranny mechanism to get to the tranny inspection bolt. I was halfway under the truck and started to remove the bolt on the linkage and bam I ratched the tranny into neutral and the truck rolled alittle and stopped , I don't know why it stopped hopefully a guardian angel, but my heart rate was at 180btm Holly sh** I still didn't finish .I'm installing them in the overhead console.. I'm still not sure if I want this or a Pillar install..to be cntinued

Yeah ,I didn't like his PMD placement but the exhaust was a thicker gauge than most manuf.. 14 gauge compared to 16 and it was a great fit...

I started on the two gauges today ..almost killed myself ::eek:mad2:Like and idiot I didn't think I needed the e brake on or chock blocks cause I wasn't doing anything mechanical :nonod:. BUT while installing the tranny temp gauge I had to move the tranny mechanism to get to the tranny inspection bolt. I was halfway under the truck and started to remove the bolt on the linkage and bam I ratched the tranny into neutral and the truck rolled alittle and stopped , I don't know why it stopped hopefully a guardian angel, but my heart rate was at 180btm Holly sh** I still didn't finish .I'm installing them in the overhead console.. I'm still not sure if I want this or a Pillar install..to be cntinued

One of everything I sell, to start with!

Feed the beast, A Team Turbo, RattleStops, the works!

Well, chip issue will be interesting. If you would have possibility to test all chips, you would find clear differences.
Personally, my choice is kojo chip, strong pull already from 1500rpm...
also it was modified for my needs (glow time, line pressure, TCC locking speed) without extra cost.

I believe member here was going to test them all?

230rwhp/615Nm

Reminds me of a little story - I was going to tow a FED-EX box package truck, and I was pulling the driveshaft as recommended for towing procedure, and it wasn't budging. I put a bar in there, and popped it free. Well, I was on a hill. It rolled forward, onto my ankle, I panicked and yanked my foot out of there. I should have left it there, as now I was rolling pretty good under truck, hanging on to crossmember. I wanted to let go, but I wasn't positive my head would clear the rear pumpkin (squish)... I hung on and the truck rolled about 30 feet and leveled out in the empty lot. WHEW!!!!!

That was a long time ago. Needless to say. Make sure chock blocks and/or e-brake are engaged!

Back