• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what kind of m.p.g. are you getting?

I just wish people on these forums would stop telling other people about these get better mileage cures that dont work.But im just happy to keep what i got. However i will try anything that might work. Im just crazy that way. It dont make no sense to spend dollars to save pennies though. Enjoy your 6.5. im good

My best ever on the Burb was a road trip from VA to Orlando FL with the family packed up for Disney (read not empty). 21MPG. Setup: SSDiesel intake, 4 exhaust (stock crossover), 235/85 Revo tires on steelies, and otherwise stock... I have yet to replicate that! LOL

Normally 15-17 MPG mixed use.

Granted I am going back to try a mileage setup: 235/85 LRR tires on PYOs, 195F Delco t-stats, and the newly installed HX40II should help.

I don't know how accurate the GPS is, but on the few times I've got to use it my speedometer was almost dead on with 265/75 tires. I've checked my odometer against yahoo and google maps and it is close enough not to make a difference when calculating fuel mileage. When my 285/75's wore out I got the 265's and didn't notice a difference in mileage either. Fiance wants to get new tires in the tahoe to get better mileage, I keep telling here it wouldnt be worth paying $700 for a set of tires to get 1 or 2 mpg better.

Yes sir. Thats what ive been saying. People spend many dollars to get pennies. Thats what the auto suppliers tell us everyday. I was gonna buy a new truck. However a new one is over 40 grand. It gets a little better mileage. But it will NEVER EVER pay for itself. Ill just keep my junk. Plus if it gets dented im not upset. I dont mind spending money. I just want my moneys worth. Like the good old days long ago. The car companies sure do stretch the truth dont they? Thanks for the post

The 95 2 door Yukon my dad had for awhile got 17-18 around town and 21-22 highway cruisin at 70mph. 3.42 gears and 265x75x16 at tires. My current setup gets 7-9mpg so far but it's a bored and built 454 (490 now? .30 over bored) with an sm465, 4.56 gears and 35" tires dually. That's cruising at 60-65mph and 2200-2500rpm. Motor pulls beautifully but I should have finished the diesel conversion

However a new one is over 40 grand. It gets a little better mileage. But it will NEVER EVER pay for itself. Ill just keep my junk.

Truth!

In comparison, my wifes '06 Escalade gets 14MPG. So much for new SUV efficiency! LOL

You will never break even on a new car, period. Just keep your old cars until they rust apart at the seams.

Yes sir. Thats what ive been saying. People spend many dollars to get pennies.

Bugs the shit out of me when my fiance's momma will drive accross town to save 2 cent per gallon on half of a 16 or so gallon tank.

Ill just keep my junk. Plus if it gets dented im not upset.

Thats another good reason as to why I won't get anything new. I feel bad enough scratching my diesel. Thats why I keep the old GMC on hand.

I'll agree with you that chasing extra mileage is usually a waste of money on these full size trucks. I'd never got over 12.5 mpg before my diesel.

Thats why i say wait until you WEAR OUT your tires to try a different size, otherwise its just a waste of good tires.

If you plan to keep the truck for along time and the mpg is just bugging the crap out of you then I would try swapping gearing. Otherwise just upgrade as things wear out and enjoy a consistant truck that does what you need.

If USLD was the problem then 2stoke oil would have netted a better mpg. Thats my opinion.

My 94 got 15-16mpg back in the day (my dad bought it new), same truck as yours but with HO Injector pump and Manual trans. It pulled like a freight train and I bet the mpg difference was the Manual trans, it has a 3in straight pipe, factory everything else.

My personal experience changing from a 180 to a 195 Tstat got me a solid 3MPG better. At less than $15 it was the best thing I did for the Burb (while it had a 6.5 anyway) Your results may very?

One more thing . I did change from 180 to 195 stats. And the only thing i gained was a hotter heater. No other changes. Thank you

One more thing . I did change from 180 to 195 stats.

You said that allready. We get it by now your mileage sucks, but it is not typical to not be able to gain something by doing some mods like Intake, exhaust, Tstat/s, gears....
With the price of diesel some of these will pay for themself real quick. In my case the Tstat paid for itself in two tanks. It was like money in the bank after that.

o.k. I dont mean to beat a dead horse. But i think my fuel problem is here isn S.W. kansas. The only good 4 tank fulls were when i want up to michigan. But that was in the winter. I even changed my fuel filter and air filter too. There is no answers out there. Ill just live with that. Thanks

I had to divorce the first wife because I didn't pay attention to details like that going in. I'm just saying...:D

lol, yeah. I nipped that in the butt pretty soon.

I don't guess I can say much when I'll drive the tractor to the quickstop for diesel instead of filling up jerry cans. If I take cans I'm too tempted to fill up the truck while I'm at it.

I just modified my drac/vssb with dip switches and then adjusted it to match gps speed.
I have been thinking about doing that. Planning on some bigger tires, plus I want to calibrate it like you did. Got pictures? :D

I could personally care less about tailgaters. I get in the right lane, set the cruise at the speed limit and ignore them. If it's two lane and I'm doing the limit, I ignore them.
I am the same. Its the wife that seems to think traffic should push you around.

:rant:My pet peeve with her is when you get to a on ramp location she wants me to move over and let people in. I say NO :nonod: it not the traffic's responsibility to YIELD to the merging cars, they have the YIELD sign on them. Its my responsibility to keep my speed and position if I am not getting off. Trying to be nice to the incoming traffic can cause an accident:rant:

You might be a redneck if you drive your Farmall to the gas station for gas and a snack. Sadly the local store closed so I cant do that any more. :(

Just figured out something interesting.
Being the combustion chambers of the Olds 5.7 diesel and the 6.2/6.5's are so much alike. I was surprised to find with the stock 2.56 gears, 195/75/14 tires, and non OD but lock up trans. My Olds Cutlass turns:
55 mph - 1959 rpm
60 mph - 2137 rpm
65 mph - 2315 rpm
This is much high than I expected.
The 2WD 6.2 Sub 235/75/15 tires, 3.43 gears, and TH700R4
55 mph - 1536 rpm
60 mph - 1676 rpm
65 mph - 1816 rpm
This suggests (not begs :) ) these questions.
Does GM think the Olds most efficient rpm is 500 higher than the 6.2?
Does 500 rpm matter all that much?
Or maybe its a compromise because of the lower HP and a three speed?

The Olds gets about 30 mpg highway.
This points again to the fact that if you want mileage you have to keep the 6.2/6.5 at or below 1800 on cruise.

yes i do beleive more important. is weight and wind resistance too. i think even if i drove 40 m.p.h. i would never get over 20 mpg.

vaicase, do you still have the chip in? what is the wastegate setup on yours? I can beleive that it shows no changes at all. all the things suggested are viable and have worked for many.

We get awesome mpgs around here, but we drive like your grandma. (not like my grandma, she drives like a wildass) my 95 GMC 2500 got 18-20 mpgs all summer with the a/c on and the service bed full. It is a 5speed manual and 2wd, which helps alot, but I doubt that much. it has 4.10s as well.

Back