• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What i've been up to.

Looking at that rectangular patch on the front fender and the rather utilitarian original vinyl interior, was that a former fire/rescue/first responder vehicle?

Depending how you use it, and I can’t remember which years it all changed, my 95 rear doors wouldn’t open all the way because of the guide-catches- whatever their called. And I remember on my 01 they wer so much better. I never really paid attention to how the older ones were done, I just would fight the doors in the way sometimes. Then when using the 01 it was so perfect to use all the time.

When out in a junkyard, maybe take a look and see what I mean and maybe you can transfer over the newer style.

Outing the vinal bench for the cloth individual seats and the center console is a huge win. So much more comfortable and convenient. Looks better to. Did you have a donor suburban or junkyard the entire interior?

Wow, I keep rolling back through pics- swapped dash and everything to the new color. Blue is nice but I like the grey more.

Did you leave the carpet and headliner or do them too?

On my 98 Burb, @Will L. , all I had to do when the rear cargo doors were about 3/4 of the way open was to just "flip" the door catches toward the center of the opening against the tensioner spring and the door would then open past 90° and allow total opening access. To change the catch (I had the end of one's "hook" break off) all I had to do was just pull the pin on the door jamb end and swap bad for new and reinsert the pin.

@don noll Yeah, thought it was something like that. About ten years ago when I was looking for a 6.5 Burb on eBay, a dealer in NYC had a bunch of red FDNY Fire Captain's Command Burbs for sale. All of them still had (non-op) the rectangular emergency lights in the front fenders and rear quarter panels, barebones gray vinyl interiors, no third seat and only the single folding seat of the second row. Some still had radio racks installed (but no radios) and/or those sliding truck bed storage compartments (must have been for O2 tanks, masks, whatever for the Brass riding inside) in the cargo/third seat area.

Depending how you use it, and I can’t remember which years it all changed, my 95 rear doors wouldn’t open all the way because of the guide-catches- whatever their called. And I remember on my 01 they wer so much better. I never really paid attention to how the older ones were done, I just would fight the doors in the way sometimes. Then when using the 01 it was so perfect to use all the time.

When out in a junkyard, maybe take a look and see what I mean and maybe you can transfer over the newer style.

Outing the vinal bench for the cloth individual seats and the center console is a huge win. So much more comfortable and convenient. Looks better to. Did you have a donor suburban or junkyard the entire interior?

Wow, I keep rolling back through pics- swapped dash and everything to the new color. Blue is nice but I like the grey more.

Yeah did carpet to headliner dash to barn doors.

@don noll Yeah, thought it was something like that. About ten years ago when I was looking for a 6.5 Burb on eBay, a dealer in NYC had a bunch of red FDNY Fire Captain's Command Burbs for sale. All of them still had (non-op) the rectangular emergency lights in the front fenders and rear quarter panels, barebones gray vinyl interiors, no third seat and only the single folding seat of the second row. Some still had radio racks installed (but no radios) and/or those sliding truck bed storage compartments (must have been for O2 tanks, masks, whatever for the Brass riding inside) in the cargo/third seat area.

Yeah mine had all of that stuff. You should have seen the pile of wire, switches and relays I had laying on the garage floor when I got done eliminating unnecessary wiring.

I bought a burb with a bad 5.7 and ended up selling enough parts to pay for it.

Back