• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is your favorite brand of firearm?

What is your favorite brand of firearm?

• Total voters
Hello your Hunters:thumbsup:

Can in America or Canada or Alaska just go anybody in a Gun Shop and buy Pistols and Rifles? Or do you need a Permission for this?.?

Greetings...
Gunar

Gunar, in Canada you need a F.A.C. (Firearms Acquisitions Certificate) to buy a rifle or shotgun. These you can walk in and buy if you have the F.A.C.

Pistols are much more difficult. They do a complete background check on the individual and there is a waiting period. This is to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the Explanation... I have now read the F.A.C. - you have to just make a Test like this in Germany....?!
Even 12 year old Children with an Accompanied can make even a Bill...:)

Best regards...
Gunar

Hello your Hunters:thumbsup:

Can in America or Canada or Alaska just go anybody in a Gun Shop and buy Pistols and Rifles? Or do you need a Permission for this?.?

Greetings...
Gunar

Hello Gunar,

Here in the USA, it depends on what state you live in.

Here in Michigan, any law-abiding citizen can walk into a gun store and after filling out the paperwork required by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosive (BATFE), and passing the instant background check, you simply pick out a rifle or shotgun, pay for it and walk out with your new acquisition. If you are buying a long gun from a private individual, you just pay for it and take it home, no paperwork is required.

Handguns are a little more complicated in this state. In order to obtain a handgun in Michigan you need to get a Permit to Purchase (PP) from your local police agency after passing an instant background check and passing a 12 question written test with 75% or better (This whole process typically takes around 15 minutes). You then take that permit form (in quadruplicate) to the seller, who fills out all the gun descriptive information as well as his name and address and you both sign all the copies. The seller keeps a copy for his/her records, you keep a copy for your records and then you must return the other two copies to the police agency where you got the permit within 10 days from the date the permit was issued. All handguns MUST be registered in Michigan, regardless of how you obtain them. Additionally, a citizen is prohibited from possessing any handgun that is not registered in his name, unless he holds a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). This means that you cannot borrow a handgun from anyone unless the registered owner is physically present with you while you are handling his/her handgun. You are allowed to rent a handgun from a gun store as long as you do not leave their premises. This is a REAL PAIN because your spouse or your relatives cannot borrow your handgun and go to a shooting range without you being physically present with them. However, if you hold a valid CPL, you may legally possess a handgun that is legally registered to someone else.

This handgun registration law is a holdover from the days when guns were heavily restricted in this state. To my knowledge, not a single crime has ever been solved by information contained in this registry that couldn't have been solved by other means, but we are still paying Millions of Dollars for this handgun registry to be maintained. Only law abiding citizens are affected by this handgun registration law. Criminals will always bypass this registry and obtain guns in the black market. Many gun advocates are working to repeal this useless and expensive registration requirement.

If a citizen holds a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL), a Permit to Purchase is not required (Your background has already been checked by the FBI and the Michigan State Police). You simply download a form that resembles the Permit to Purchase from the Michigan State Police website, fill out all the pertinent information, including your CPL number, and both seller and buyer sign this form. Seller keeps a copy, buyer keeps another copy and the remaining two copies must be sent by the buyer to your local police department within 10 of the purchase. This saves the CPL holders from the hassle of having to go to their local police agency to obtain a Permit to Purchase every time they want to obtain a handgun. So, obtaining a handgun is almost as easy as obtaining a rifle or a shotgun if you hold a valid CPL, keeping in mind that you MUST register the handgun after you obtain it.

Ten years ago, Michigan passed a "Shall Issue" law regarding Concealed Pistol Licenses. This means that if you pass all the legal requirements, get fingerprinted, and pass a strict background check by the FBI and the Michigan State Police, the county "SHALL ISSUE" you a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). This license allows you to carry any handgun concealed, anywhere in the state. Additionally, 39 other states honor the Michigan CPL giving Michigan CPL holders the ability to legally carry a concealed handgun in a total of 40 out of 50 states. Nine of the remaining 10 states have "May Issue" laws, where even though you pass all the legal requirements and all background checks, it is up to the local authorities to issue or deny a license at their own discretion. Most will issue a license only to their friends, or to rich people who contribute to their election campaign.

The state of Illinois prohibits ALL private citizens from carrying a concealed weapon. Only Cops and politicians are allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Illinois. Politicians there are considered "Peace Officers" and are allowed to carry any firearm of their choosing without any license.

Michigan has NO waiting period for obtaining any rifle, shotgun or handgun. If you meet all the legal requirements, you can pick up your gun on the spot and take it home.

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your Explanation...
I thought it is easy... I see it also only here with us on Television...
For some Years there is a new TV Transmitter with us and it shows very many good Reports from America, Canada and the Rest of the World...

Best Regards
Gunar

I own a few of almost all of them. But my favorite that I own would have to be my Remington shotguns and rifles. But I would love to get someday a Benelli 12 ga shotgun. Have shot one several times, and they are a real smooth shooting gun.

Remington does make a fine quality firearm Dave. I have a few shotguns and rifles. I will admit though, My HK Bennelli is extremely smooth for a shotgun. And the action is extremely FAST I might add.

Sig P220, a number of fine German handguns. Luger P08 my favorite, just can't find/afford the ammo.

Savage 30-30 and FN-FAL, both kick like a mule.

Hello Gunar,
The state of Illinois prohibits ALL private citizens from carrying a concealed weapon. Only Cops and politicians are allowed to carry a concealed weapon in Illinois. Politicians there are considered "Peace Officers" and are allowed to carry any firearm of their choosing without any license.

Ray, you forgot to mention that criminals carry anyplace they wish - especially in Crooked County.

Remington would be my top pick over all. I've had some S&W's that I really liked. My Knight muzzle loaders I like. I like my T/C Encore. I've had many 870 Wingmasters. I never cared for the Expresses. Reminded my of a Wingmaster with sand added. A friend told me that When a Wingmaster was wore out and express was just getting smooth operating. It was all deburred by then.

The new Remington pump Model 887 shotguns suck - from what everybody tells me - the main problem being the pinch point in front of the trigger guard. Because they tried to copy the Nova look.

I like Benelli shotguns. I think the Nova's are slightly over rated and over priced.

The old Store brand guns are not to be discounted. I had a Montgomery Wards side by side 12 ga. that was a favorite of my bro. and I for years.

One of my main issues with certain guns is the trigger pull. I hate a hard or gritty trigger pull.

Guns I did not like were the Ruger P-89 - gritty trigger and action. They even had an article about taking it in and getting the action deburred. Rather than invest money in it, I traded it off for a S&W.

Browning BPS shotguns. I've seen way to many problems with them in the field and on the line.

I've had and seen bad experiences with Mossberg pump shotguns. Though I have been told the quality has gone up in recent years. I still see no reason to own one. Hard to get a bad taste out once you get it in. I had a 3 1/2" 12 ga. pump model 835 I believe. I short stroked it a lot and the grip was to thick for my dog paw hands.

I had a Beretta Pintail 12 ga. that I hated. It had a terribly hard trigger pull.

I've had several H&R's that I liked

I also like the SKS's I've shot

I've always thought the Ruger 10/22's were over priced and over rated. Though I would expect them to be more accurate with the after market barrels.

I've never shot or seen a 10/22 - stock that was as accurate as any of the Remington .22 plinkers I have had. Including Nylon 66's and my favorite 572 pump.

I liked shooting my buddies' Marlin Lever actions, Henry's and Browning BLR's

Back