• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is it? Discussion.

valyidol

Reaction score
Why did this happen? Who will have the versions? Additional information: The prechamber fell out and one valve was broken.

Attachments

• 20200305_141918.jpg
    20200305_141918.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200305_142005.jpg
    20200305_142005.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 21
Wow that is a good one!
So many options to choose from, so I will go with valve stuck open and piston tried turning into a trash compactor until it finally jammed bending the rod and destroying the piston.

We need a full story on this on buddy with all the pics!

Was ether involved?

"Dropped a valve."

Or because you are also asking about injectors it could have had an injector "pissing" fuel. I can't tell if the cylinder scored up or if the piston crown was melted by a bad injector. Need more pictures.

Looks like it had lots on km on it as the pictured good cylinder is polished to no crosshatch.

Was it still running? :dead: Mine this ugly was still running and hitting on 7 of 8.

Say what you want about the old 6.2's and 6.5's, but, the wrist pins are simply indestructible... Unlike a newer GM 4 banger diesel.

@valyidol Replace or Rebuild The Turbo! The turbo bearings ate the coolant oil mix at high speed and likely didn't survive. It will likely return to you soon with a blown or locked up turbo if you don't rebuild it. Just in case you forgot about it. The oil cooler is also full of debris and needs to be replaced.

Was ether involved?

"Dropped a valve."

Or because you are also asking about injectors it could have had an injector "pissing" fuel. I can't tell if the cylinder scored up or if the piston crown was melted by a bad injector. Need more pictures.

Looks like it had lots on km on it as the pictured good cylinder is polished to no crosshatch.

Was it still running? :dead: Mine this ugly was still running and hitting on 7 of 8.

Say what you want about the old 6.2's and 6.5's, but, the wrist pins are simply indestructible... Unlike a newer GM 4 banger diesel.

@valyidol Replace or Rebuild The Turbo! The turbo bearings ate the coolant oil mix at high speed and likely didn't survive. It will likely return to you soon with a blown or locked up turbo if you don't rebuild it. Just in case you forgot about it. The oil cooler is also full of debris and needs to be replaced.
Thanks. Here is the story of this truck. 1991 Suburban. Equipped for fire brigade. I know it for over a year. The owner called me with a hard start problem. He said he uses ether to start. I said change the glow plugs. After this, the truck ran without problems for a year. A month ago, he called again. Gray smoke appeared. I said first check the nozzles. But he did not have time. Two weeks ago, during a fire trip, a diesel jammed. When I disassembled the diesel, I saw 2 pre-chambers fell out. One of them left a mark on the block. The bottom of several pistons has a brown coating. Today make more picters

Anyone wants to know how to quickly kill a light duty American diesel with a blue warning sticker by the air cleaner it's spelled E.T.H.E.R. "ether"...

The precup (Pre-chamber ) mark on the block is a dead giveaway too much ether. However, that may or may not have dropped a valve (or broke the valve). Prechamber broke a chunk off and it stuck in a valve?

Brown on the bottom of the pistons to me is normal from a hard working engine. Yeah pistons got hot.

How cold does it get there anyway?

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing in that first picture, that block is FUBAR! That looks like not only is the cylinder wall cracked, there is a chunk missing out of it and is that orange antifreeze I see sitting in one of the block coolant passages?

Yes, NEVER use ether on these engines if you 1) Don't know what the hell you are doing! 2) With the glow plug system operating 3) SEE #1 ABOVE!

I have successfully used ether on both 6.2 military and on both of my own 6.5's, but that was because I: 1) Knew what the hell I was doing from years of experience on various IDI diesels! 2) The glow plug system was completely inoperative (No power to system/ALL GP's dead) so there would be no early ignition that would result in any damage. 3) The engines involved were completely cold starts WITHOUT the use of glow plugs or prior starting attempts. 4) SEE #1 ABOVE!

I say its too bad it happened to that engine. It is tough enough finding a good to rebuild block here in the states, I imagine in Russia, it would be like about non existent to even find a running 6.5 or, even just a long block that could be put together and run.

I say its too bad it happened to that engine. It is tough enough finding a good to rebuild block here in the states, I imagine in Russia, it would be like about non existent to even find a running 6.5 or, even just a long block that could be put together and run.
I have two blocks 6.2 and two 6.5. On this block I'll try to install a new cylinder liner

Good luck with that. With that chunk of block missing you will essentially have a "wet sleeve", and as the engine was never designed that way (and overboring and dry sleeving these 6.5 blocks is questionable at best) you may run into combustion shock cavitation issues that will destroy the block again. Better off starting with a good, used block and going from there than spending all that time, effort and Rubles trying to cobble together something from that disaster - only to have it self-destruct during or shortly after first run, or worse yet on the way to an emergency call. Just my humble opinion.

I have two blocks 6.2 and two 6.5. On this block I'll try to install a new cylinder liner

That's a pretty high risk the liner will fail. Specifically the sleeve can expand where the chunk of the block is missing and the rings loose contact in that area. Ask me how I know about this specific failed repair from a loud ticking sound like a quarter hitting the windshield at camshaft RPM... And that area was lower in the cylinder than the upper higher pressure area you have damaged.

You have a lot of other damage to overcome. How bad are the precup "dents"? This has a risk of head gasket failure.

This is where one has to draw the line and realize these engines are expendable. This one has been expended.

Do you really want to see this engine back so soon???

Back