• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is favorite Bar-b-que flavor?

What is favorite Bar-b-que flavor?

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
This weeks contribution by schiker.....

Dry rub
Ketchup base
Mustard base
Vinegar base
Italian Seasoning
Jerk
Blackened
Mesquite / Hickory / etc smoked

Always looking for poll ideas post them HERE or send me a PM.......

I chose Hickory.

If the poll was multiple choice, it would go something like this: Dry rub on pork back ribs, silver skin on, hickory smoke real pit, low and slow, Personal preference on sauce would be tomato base with vinegar, molasses and cracked pepper, light coat.

Mmmm ribs.

Bar-B-Q to me is pig. A Bar-B-Q "plate" is pulled pork with some mustard based sauce, smoked ribs (hickory), hash over white rice, cole slaw or green beans, a slice of white bread, and some sweet tea (but am trying cut back on amount of sugar).

Grilling out its a rotation of most of the other choices on chicken or pork chops/loin.

Ah ha something I am into...
The poll is a bit tough to answer with any accuracy (yea I know its for fun :) ) For instance 'round these parts' BBQ is pork and the traditional preperation is hickory wood for smoke and then a sauce of typically, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, stock (with flavor from the rub and smoke), black and red pepper and other spices the cook chooses to make it his own. And if you slop Cattleman's BBQ Sauce on my pork I am going to hurt you. Frown5

So you got two things with BBQ, the cooking technique, smoke from a specific wood or no specific smoke flavor from charcoal. And then a sauce that is added to the meat to moisten it before serving and served on the table in a more spicy version for those that want to "kick it up a notch". Yea I'm a foodie :)

Also lets not confuse BBQ with grilling. If it takes less time to cook that you can drink a beer while its still cold that grilling :hihi: What you are cooking it over in the way for heat gas charcoal electric even makes no difference.

Bar-B-Q to me is pig. A Bar-B-Q "plate" is pulled pork with some mustard based sauce, smoked ribs (hickory), hash over white rice, cole slaw or green beans, a slice of white bread, and some sweet tea (but am trying cut back on amount of sugar). Grilling out its a rotation of most of the other choices on chicken or pork chops/loin.

Mustard based sauce??? That is so SC :) I have tried it but cant 'cotton' it at all. Its that regional thing. But the hickory wood smoke slow cooking is the southern connection :)

However,... There's always an alternative isn't there?
I've put slabs of ribs in a pan with a water and maple syrup mix in the bottom of the pan, sealed it tight with foil and baked for an hour at 325*.
Then slow cook it to brown with BBQ sauce on the Weber. Damn good and falls off the bone!

However,... There's always an alternative isn't there?
I've put slabs of ribs in a pan with a water and maple syrup mix in the bottom of the pan, sealed it tight with foil and baked for an hour at 325*.
Then slow cook it to brown with BBQ sauce on the Weber. Damn good and falls off the bone!
Yea when you don't have the time or gear you find a way. I have done something like that in the crock pot and pressure cooker. Then brown it off in the broiler or grill or frying pan even. Fooled my BBQ pickey Bro in law. Buts its still not the same, but lot better than none :)

Yep, its pretty regional. I think the mustard base region is from Augusta, GA area and through the low country of SC and Eastern low GA. Not sure how much farther it reaches. Maurice Bessinger's is a good sweet mustard sauce not really spicey. Too bad he got tied up in politics of confederate flag and quit selling it to supermarkets around here. Something about the nationwide distributors of sauce they tend to loose something trying to please everyone???

Yep, just grill'in is not really Bar-B-Q just saying I use the other flavors on the grill too.

I have boiled chicken since it drips so much and puts out the charcol especially second load on a small grill. Blackened and crisp'ed up the skin and sauce is pretty good. There are 1001 ways plus to eat chicken and it gets boring with the same ole same ole.. I agree real Bar-B-Q usually takes cooking a looonnngg time.

I have boiled chicken since it drips so much and puts out the charcoal especially second load on a small grill.
I picked up a technique from Alton Brown. Steam the chicken till its all most cooked through and then bake it off in the oven for crisp brown skin. GBD Golden Brown and Delicious with no smoke and flare ups. :thumbsup: I have not tried it with large pieces yet just wings, nor have I tried to go from the steamer to grill. Should work just fine though.

You know all this stuff needs to go in the cooking section :)

When it comes to well done bbq, I'll admit that I'm a bbq whore. If I had to pick my favorite, I would have to go with a good dry rub on a brisket or ribs (that's what I will do when I'm cooking) but I like both Texas and South Carolina types of bbq sauces. For something smoked, I'll go with hickory. If it's done right though, I'll eat it just about any way it's prepared.

This Friday lunch I will make sure I get a pic of the RIBS at my favorite local BBQ joint.

Probably baby back Ribs, with Cole slaw, pickled cucumbers and onions for the sides..

I can only eat a half rack from there, the things are some serious SLABS!

I prefer straight meat on the B-B-Q.
You guys kill all the meat flavor with that sauce crap.
May as well use a piece of carton and lather it up with whatever,..its cheaper and gonna taste the same;)

I prefer straight meat on the B-B-Q. You guys kill all the meat flavor with that sauce crap. May as well use a piece of carton and lather it up with whatever,..its cheaper and gonna taste the same;)

The sauce from NC and southern VA is light, thin and a bit sweet & sour and spicy. The best is made :)secret:) with the pork stock from the cooking process. Tough cuts need to be slow cooked to make all that connective tissue melt into tasty smooth gelatin that carries the seasonings that you put on the meat. So long cooking processes lose the moisture holding gelatin out of the meat so some of that has to be put back in so you don't have a dry chewy mess. So if you are eating NC style BBQ you get the "juice" in the meat and there is more on the table usually with a lot more kick to it :)

I prefer the dry rub process but many times I just marinate what ever I am going to grill in a Ceaser salad dressing and when it comes off the grill it is very good. Just got my new grill yesterday and I will again have a rotertissere and am going for the pork loin and prime rib for the special times but I am going to love it.

Back