• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What fuel is primarily used to heat your home.

What fuel is primarily used to heat your home.

• Electricity

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Propane

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Natural Gas

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Wood

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Pellets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kerosene

• Oil

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Coal

• I don't need to heat my home. A/C for me.

• Other

• Total voters
You're young yet BJ so you're wired to think that way. Many years down the road when your wires start to get crossed you'll think differently...;)

:hihi:

46 aint all that young. I've got a lot of hard miles on those years so I'm even older than I look.

but the wife is still sprightly young at 36!

:cool:

(where did I put those little blue pills again......)

Heat pump with 7.5kw backup. The heat pump doesn't do very much other than run continuously once the temp drops below 50.

I haven't run the aux heat yet... don't even want to think about what that will do the electric bill.

Forced Air Natural Gas as primary. Supplement when real cold and/or have time, with the woodstove insert in the fireplace. I still enjoy the cutting, splitting, and stacking for exercise when I have the time. Definitely helps the utility bills since my house is old and seems like a wind tunnel at times!!:eek:

Another project were trying to save for is the replacement windows! I did the windows in the kids room myself and it makes a big difference.:thumbsup:

City gas, but my brother-in-law's family owns a woodstove and fire place company (http://www.hitzer.com/) is giving me an insert that was going to end up in the scrap pile...so hopefully i'll be heating my house more with wood after that...if it fits, haha.

So...I got the fireplace insert and its for sure better than my last one...which wasn't an insert but just a face to my fireplace. This insert though is not a Hitzer made product, but the one they took out to put one of theirs in. It's got cast iron going from the bottom to the top __ (not the best picture, but you get the idea) and put the wood on in that and
(__
once its hot enough you turn on the fans on the bottom and hot air comes out the top. I won't be able to use it except when I'm inside long enough to keep it running, so on the coldest nights and when I'm not working in the garage...or I'll be bouncing between the house and garage - but no sense in heating 2 places if I'm only in 1, haha.

Wood heat all the way in this house, I get the wood off of my logging sites, usually after the last load is hauled out there is a partial load of sawlogs or pulpwood, so that turns into my firewood deck

When we switched from heat pump, electric baseboard, electric stove, electric dryer, to LPG logs and a wall LPG heater and LPG for the stove and dryer, about 5-6 years ago (didn't all happen at the same time), our electric to combined gas/electric bill dropped nearly in half. Next the electric water heater is going, to a 90+% efficient LPG one. We are still using a few of the old baseboard heaters in the bathrooms / bedrooms, but they are not on much. The water heater and the dryer are the big power suckers, and the gas ones are so much more powerful. Gets the clothes dry before the next load is done washing and you cant run out of hot water. :wiggle:

We put in an outside wood boiler that we can heat the house and shop with if we chooses from. Plus heats hot water in house. Will never go back to anything else. Get all the benefits of cheap wood plus don't have to have the wood in house.

wood heat is the only way to go, I dont have to worry about power going out, or a large bill at the end of the month. on average, if I had to buy wood at 175 per cord, my wood bill would be 150 a month, MUCH less than gas or electric heat, which my place has, but I never use either.

Forced air natural gas is the least expensive utility for heating around here. Living in the suburbs, wood is not readily available.

The propane station is only 1/2 mile from my new house and they the town only has ~150 people (yeah you read that right) and they have 4 rural delivery trucks and a small old truck for the town. I choose propane for my primary and am installing a wood stove or fireplace to supplement the heat (possibly use as primary).

One shop is heated by diesel/kerosene but has heated floors if we would ever spend the $15K to hook them up.

Most of our shops have a diesel/propane heater in them.

I am looking a used oil/diesel heater for my new little shop.

Back